“Cramped quarters, challenging location, good shower, so so breakfast” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tralala Hotel Montreux

You added Tralala Hotel Montreux to your Saves list
Tralala Hotel Montreux
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Rue du Temple 2, Montreux 1820, Switzerland   |
Ranked #14 of 16 Montreux B&B and Inns
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Cramped quarters, challenging location, good shower, so so breakfast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Three star should be really three asterisks as the outdoor sign on this hotel indicates. Front desk man a little sardonic and not that helpful. Others at front desk variable. Maybe languague barrier. Long wait to check in quick check out. Breakfast mediocre. TV in breakfast room has no audio so not useful unless you can lip read really well. Fridge broken, non-functional and front desk refused to fix.. Room extremely cramped but bed OK. Clean. Room cleaners sometimes v. late to clean room though. Steep climb to city center but good exercise. Not a good value. Tries to be cool and trendy but falls short on comfort, friendliness and convenience, esp. for English speakers.

Room Tip: Ask for spacious room if any exist on this property unless rate is way too high.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
tralalahotel, Guest Relations Manager at Tralala Hotel Montreux, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Mr. Miale,

We thank you very much for your remarques and we do apprecciate your honesty,

We would like to apologize, that you have not had the best impression of our Hotel, as you should have had,

We do regret you did not enjoy your stay with us and we do hope that we will be able to be welcoming you again at the Tralala Hotel to show you the great values of being high up in the Old-town, having the beauty of nature around you in the mean time being in a quite but still well located area..

For the next time you will be visiting us, we will find you a Room with a functional fridge.. :)

with our kindest regards from Montreux,

Gianna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Tralala Hotel for 2 nights in October. What a cool hotel! It is located near the top of the hill with a great view of Montreux. The staff is really friendly and speak good English. The decor of the hotel is supercool and has a music theme. There is a nice bar in the reception area and we got a complementry welcome drink when we arrived which was a nice surprise. We arrived via train station and were able to hop on Bus 206 right outside of the train station and take it to a bus stop right outside of the hotel. It would be a hard hike without the bus. We stayed on the 4th floor and had a small balcony with a great view of the city. The wifi was free, but it was hard to get it in our room on the fourth floor. If I stood by our door, I could get service. I didn't mind much because it was nice to sit in the lobby bar and have a drink while we checked our email. The hotel is really quiet, clean and modern. I was the perfect place to stay in Montreux.

San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Very clean, very modern, friendly staff and very reasonably priced compared with other Montreux hotels. It's on a charming street high on the hill, so not an easy walk, but it comes with a free bus pass and bus service is just like the trains in Switzerland--frequent and always on time. If you have a car, parking in the area is possible--at least when we were there in October. Breakfast had a few more items (hard boiled eggs, amazing hazelnut coffee cake and do-it-your-self lattes ) than the other places we stayed in Switzerland. (The usual fare is granola, yogurt, cold meat and cheese.) The only thing to complain about was wi-fi wasn't available in our room, just in the lobby.

Room Tip: Don't know if it's possible, but ask for a room with wi-fi
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Our welcome when we arrived was excellent, we were given our choice of complimentary drink and some free passes for the local bus and various maps and leaflets of interest. We were only staying for one night so didn't really make use of them, but it was thoughtful nevertheless. We were totally ripped off by the taxi driver who took a really roundabout route from the station - it was actually about a 10-minute walk, uphill all the way so obviously not far. There is a bus from the station but we didn't know what number to get. Visitors to Switzerland beware their plugs are not the usual european style and you may need to buy a special adaptor although one of our adaptors worked ok, the others didn't as the pins are very slightly different. It was a nasty surprise to find our room smelled strongly of cigarette smoke, but I didn't complain as I thought opening the windows wide would get rid of it. I was so wrong, it was so strong it kept waking me up during the night and I wished then we'd asked for a different room. The bathroom was clean and well-equipped except for the shower which was a huge down-facing disc that wasn't adjustable making it impossible to avoid wetting your hair (there was admittedly a shower cap but I didn't find it until after my shower). It pains me to say it after our lovely welcome, but I wouldn't recommend staying here really (unless of course you're a smoker!).

Room Tip: If your room smells of smoke, ask for a different one!
istanbul
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

It takes about 15 minutes to climb to the hotel or you have take a taxi ( which is very expensive) there is also a bus going to the hotel but not at night times and sundays...
There is no wardrobe in the rooms no refrigerator and no air-co..
The german receptionist is very helpfull.
The room looks more like to a hostel room than three stars..
If you want to stay in Montreux i recommend to stay in downtown.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Expect a uphill trek from the train station to the hotel, but in the end it was all worth it. We had packed light hence we took the challenge to walk uphill for about 20 mins which was quite scenic, but alternatively bus no 206 would directly take you to the hotel door. When we arrived we were warmly welcomed by Allain at the front desk who was very helpful and knowledgeable. He offered us juice/wine and also fulfilled our request when we asked for a room with a view (Once again thank you allain). Would recommend this hotel if you are fine climbing the hill (very relaxing and excellent views once there)

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I called on my way into town this was Lonely planets top choice in Montreux, I was lucky enough to reserve the last room. When I arrived I was warmly greeted and found a modern and funky place, the reception person was very helpful and knowledgeable,I was offered a glass of wine.and was then shown to my room which was on the 3rd floor on a corner, it overlooked the neighborhood and also the street which was very nice although a little noisy until later in the evening .My room was modern and spotless during my three night stay it was tended to each day. Breakfast was included in my room price and I did have a little trouble figuring out the set up in the dining area .Parking is also a bit of a challenge but I usually found a spot within a couple of minutes walk and it was always nice walking through very hilly old area ,I would say the setting and location are great and I had a feeling of really being in a special place ,I discovered a charming bakery just around the corner.When it was time to move on I found I was sad to leave this lovely Hotel and area,I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street are noisier.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Tralala Hotel Montreux? Share your experiences!