“Clean, Well Located hostel with a nice outlook” 4 of 5 stars

Lausanne Guesthouse
Epinettes 4, Lausanne 1007, Switzerland   |
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Lausanne
Kathmandu, Nepal
“Clean, Well Located hostel with a nice outlook”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The staff were very friendly, they accepted me at the last moment and still cheerfully showed me the facilities (kitchen etc).
Wi-fi was fast and reliable. The building is a gorgeous place, set up on the hill...about 10 minutes walk down to the water and about 2-5 minutes walk to the train station.
Although a little on the pricey-side, for a hostel with only 1 power pt in my dorm room! The rooms were clean, as were the bathrooms, which proved (at least on my floor) to be quite sizeable. The patio receives full sunlight in the morning which is lovely. The kitchen is a decent size, with good facilities....microwave, stove, kettle, pots/pans etc...not to mention a free food shelf in the fridge...it meant I got bonus parmesan cheese for my pasta and when I left...I could donate my bread and spreads:) Nice!

Room Tip: Have a look at the rooms...they don't all have a great view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hostel is very clean, confortable and quiet. It was about 5 minutes by walk from the central station! The staff is friendly and always ready to provide information! The negative points are the obvious lack of electrical outlets in the bedrooms and the absence of breakfast.
Overall, I recommend this hostel to everyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Shared 4 person bunk bed door room. Clean room with clean showers. Washer was fine but dryer was terrible. Glad they offered it but get a new dryer, one that works, please. Staff was fantastic. Good shared facilities that included kitchen, lobby/lounge and outside patio. Also had vending machine. Only 200yds from train station which had the closet supermarket, phamacy etc.-nice. 15min walk to center of town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I booked this hostel based on reviews and I have to say I it's the 10% chance that such a booking can go wrong.

First, the good: it's close proximity to the main train station, and this hostel has good wifi.

However, it really depends on where you stay since I had no view which was disappointing since I booked because of it. It would help if the guesthouse provided info on which rooms have view and which don't.

The bad: the showers! I stayed at a 4-bed female-only dorm with shared showers & the showers here have a open concept where they are only separated by a curtain. There is no place inside your shower cubicle to hang any dry materials, save for a bar outside the shower. This meant I had to put all my clothes on the floor outside the shower - so lucky I had a bag to separate the clean from the dirty. Also, the shower was a push-function where you had to continuously push for the water flow - that was initially fine by me but what disappointed me was that the water was sparse. I judge accommodation based on the quality of the shower experience and this was a 2.0 out of 5.0.

There was no mat provided outside the showers either, and you know what, when I stepped out of the shower, I slipped and fell on my bum. IT HURT LIKE SOMETHING VULGAR.

The mirror was placed at a height where a person my height (5 ft 3 in) can only see half their face without tiptoeing. Thanks for discriminating against the vertically-challenged.

The good point was the toilets were clean.

Inside the room, there was only ONE power socket for 4 people. Wtf?! There was no place to put our technical appliances either when we charge our phones/cameras/laptops/iPad/etc so we had to stack them atop each other on top of the socket (obviously we did not charge the iPad, this simply was not feasible). in this day & age, to have only one power socket to share is really baffling. Even when I paid the deposit for the extension, we had to prioritise which appliances to charge first.

It's kind of autumn now, but it's still quite warm. There's no AC and no fan in the room, so it's quite stuffy. We opened the window but its still warm at night. Sigh.

Not one of my best hostel experiences in terms of shared toilets/rooms, but if you're looking at private rooms, then this should be the place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
brisbane, australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed in a double room with a private bathroom. Although it seemed a bit strange that the bathroom was across the hall before we arrived, it made sense once we saw the set up. Having the bathrooms across the hall means that none of the rooms back onto the train line. I'm happy to cross a hall to get the bathroom when it meant the room itself was very quiet and had a stunning view of the town and across Lake Geneva. The view pushes this from a four to a five star review. It was breathtaking. The room itself was comfortable and the bathroom was an excellent size. I wish we'd stayed longer! It's not cheap at 130CHF a night but it is very reasonable for Lausanne and I felt that the view put it above a typical hostel/guesthouse.

It is conveniently located near the main train station and two metro stops.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Esher, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Really convenient if arriving by train and generally for sightseeing in Lausanne. Very good prices for Switzerland and choices between bunk bed rooms with private bathroom opposite or twin room options etc. Very good at communicating with you prior to arrival.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

This guesthouse is only a few blocks from the train station, but can be hard to find if you aren't paying attention! We had a privat room with a semi-private bath that was shared with one other room. All of the bathrooms are across the hall from the rooms, even the rooms that have a "private" bath, so be prepared for that, although, I never saw anyone on my walk back to my room in a towel after my showers! The bathroom was very nice and clean, as was the room, which had a great view of the lake! Make sure to make dinner in the kitchen one night if you can, it's a great way to meet people and there is a great patio/yard area with tables. The kitchen was well stocked with cooking tools, plates, and glasses for anyone to use.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Lausanne Guesthouse? Share your experiences!