“Faded elegance” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue de Cour 4, Lausanne 1007, Switzerland   |
Ranked #18 of 43 Hotels in Lausanne
“Faded elegance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

A short metro ride from the train station and a 15 minute walk from the location this hotel is in an accessible but not prime location.

The rooms and hotel were fine but you could tell that at one point they were likely grand.

Still a good choice for a mid-range budget.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Positives-

-Staff very friendly and helpful.
-Room was spacious with good facilities.
-Room came with balcony from which I could (just) see lake Geneva in the distance.
-Both bedroom and bathroom was tidy and the bed was comfortable
-Parking outside was easy, convenient and free.
-Hotel is next to Metro station that will get you to the lake in 3-4- minutes, and into the entertainment district (shops, restaurants, bars) within 6-8.
-Metro tickets were given to us free-of-charge by the hotel.

Need Improvement-

-No milk for coffee. Usually wouldn't mention it but reading a few other reviews and they had the same problem. It's quite unfortunate when you rise in the morning, take a shower, make yourself a cup of coffee to sit out on the balcony with and... there's no milk for the coffee. Again, not a deal clincher but a few reviewers have had the problem so it would be good if the hotel could sort it out.
-State of the hotel was OK but could definitely do with a little tender loving care AKA maintenance.

All in all, good place to stay if you can't get a hotel on the waterfront (they are more expensive down there I think). I would recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Sussex UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Strangely inefficient reservation system, confirming price higher than agreed over the phone.
Great location. Warm welcome initially but later, with no milk in bedroom for tea despite it being requested and promised, reception suggested we go down to collect! Ditto wifi codes.
Room (executive) cramped and the double bed was two beds pushed together. Small TV screen and no English or CNN channels.
No working extractor fan in bathroom.
Expensive breakfast.
Just about 3-star quality, so only pay accordingly or go elsewhere.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dundee, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is a typical French type hotel. Everything is small and quaint. It was very close to the Metro and within walking distance of numerous restaurants as well as Lake Geneva. We had to laugh at the elevator being only 2.5 ft by 3.5ft. The staff was very friendly, especially considering we did not speak French. The bed that we had was so hard. I am not sure if all of the rooms are like that or not. The staff greeted us every time we walked through the reception area with a cheerful Bon Jour. The room had its own heat and air conditioning. The hotel serves breakfast and lunch, but we only ate the breakfast that was eggs, bacon, sausage, baked beans, numerous breads and croissants, fresh and dried fruits, meat tray, and cheeses. If you are in the area, I would recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: ask for one with a balcony
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Crans-Montana, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 1 night for a little weekend getaway. First of all, the location was quite nice for it being right next to a Metro station and only a 10-min walk to the lakeside. However, my experience here was not as expected. The first thing that disappointed me was the the attitude of the receptionist. When we walked in, he didn't even bother to greet us, not until we came next to the front desk and say hi first!!? (is this swiss 4 star standard?) Even after that, he still didn't stand up to greet or anything, just some informal "Hi...", "Hey...". This went on as he checked us in, constantly showed tired-like attitude as if he didn't want to be there. When I paid upfront and asked for the bill, he refused!? and whispered to me: "please it'd would be easier for me if you just take it at check-out". At that moment I thought it was a joke!! but he actually kept the bill from me. At this point I was so disappointed and mad so I just went up to the room. We had a so-called executive room. First impression is that the room was tiny, however the furniture is quite luxury-like and the bed was comfy. Overall, honestly it would have been a good destination if it wasnt for the attitude of the receptionists (which ruined the experience). Btw, when we asked for some missing amenities, we got them handed to us with attitude: gave with one hand, turned away with eyes rolling... (surprisingly, does anyone in this hotel want to work there?). Truthfully, it was not worth the money at all. WOULD NOT COME BACK OR RECOMMEND!

Room Tip: There are plenty other hotels to choose, pass this one.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

This perfectly located option falls just at the low-end of the more expensive hotel options in Lausanne. I was there for a quick 2 night stay and needed something close to the metro, and sort of between the 2 centres (commercial centre and the historic waterfront) - this was perfect for both.

Though the lobby is aged, the room floors are inviting with a more modern decor (definiately felt the difference). For me water pressure in the shower and a bed are key. Both were excellent. In addition to tea, coffee and chocolate in the room, there is also a small balcony big enough to step out, sit and relax over the neighborhood. If I need a place again in Lausanne I will come here!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel one night for a romantic gateway.
I asked for a romantic room and they got me a suite for the same price. Staff very very friendly. The get you free mobilis pass while you stay there.

Great value, I recommend this hotel.

Cheers

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Carlton? Share your experiences!