“Beautiful Hotel on the Waterfront” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Place du Port 17-19, Lausanne 1000, Switzerland   |
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Lausanne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Geneva, Switzerland
“Beautiful Hotel on the Waterfront”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I must say, that this hotel is the Grande Dame of them all. It is beautifully situated in Lausanne along the water. There is such lush green space and plants, beautiful pool and a very good spa available with extensive services. The food is superb and there is much attention to detail. The views from the rooms are spectacular, facing Lake Geneva. It is an elegant Hotel that is quite reserved. Although it is very expensive, the "pearl" on the lake is the number one destination in Lausanne.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The terrace of the Lobby Lounge is great thanks to its view, space and relax atmosphere. Unfortunately, all these advantages are spoiled by the attitude of a waiter called "E. Marchal" and his nasty and hypocrite comments towards the clients.
We are frequent customers of this place (terrace and inside).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
beaurivagepalace, Manager at Beau-Rivage Palace, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Gouteur_nicois,

Thank you very much for your comment. We are sorry to read that you didn’t have a good experience at the Lobby Lounge during your last visit. It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and that an excellent service is ensured.
We passed the information on internally and invite you to contact us if you would like to discuss your visit in further detail.
Although you didn’t have a very positive experience last time, we would be glad to welcome you again very soon!
Vevey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

It was a night in December 2012. My companion wanted to surprise me on my birthday by inviting me to my favorite restaurant!
Here we are at the Beau Rivage Cafe, Lausanne or a special romantic dinner.
1st mistake: the waiter did not who ordered what, so he had to ask us ( thing that not used to happen before ......)

2nd disappointment, I always order my favorite menu there "filet de perche" but this time frankly , I was disappointed !!!! they were not as always , I guess there is a new chef......

3rd and biggest disappointment for such an establishment, when we got out from the restaurant all our clothes smelled the frying !!! I couldn't believe it !!! our table was in the middle of the restaurant maybe a bit close to the kitchen, so what ? in such places this is a NO NO thing, whether you had a table at the windows, in the middle or back....
Honestly, It was a big disappointment for my companion and myself.
It is also a bit sad, since it was my favorite restaurant ever!!!
What a pity.....

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Anna J,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very sorry to read that your birthday dinner at the Café Beau-Rivage didn’t meet your expectations. We took good note of your remarks and discussed them internally. A high service standard as well as the quality of the food are very important for us.
We hope that this one time experience won’t stop you from eating at the Café Beau-Rivage where you are always welcome!
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

On my way from Paris to Rome I took what turned out to be an inspired choice, to stop over in Lausanne. I was upgraded to a lake and Alps view room, and my attached image will testify to the grandeur of the view. I have stayed at a number of 5 star establishments in Europe and Asia Pacific, and this would be the best I have experience. Even though it was a one night stay, the level of service was superb. My driver and the hotel staff were still outside when I entered the lobby, and was addressed by name and greeted immediately. A nice touch.
I dined in my room both for dinner and breakfast, and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the meals impeccable. The old world elegance of the Beau-Rivage Palace is enhanced and you explore the many elegant ballrooms and see the pictures of the meetings of heads of state that took place here over the last century.
The hotel is ideally located on the shore line and the metro is a short walk away to reach the centre of the old city.
Finally, on my return to Melbourne I received a very nice email from Alexis thanking me for my stay, and again demonstrating attention to detail in knowing my destination after Lausanne.

If you are a "spare no expense" type of traveller, do not miss this hotel, and it's Michelin starred restaurant. If your budget does not normally run to this, make an exception this time!

Room Tip: A Lake view is almost compulsory
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Unfortunately I spent only one night at the Beau Rivage, as I was on a business trip.
Even if it was really short, I really enjoyed every minute of my stay at the Beau Rivage which is now of my best hotel experience in Europe.

Pros
- Overall impression : the hotel is extremely impressive even for a guy like me (I prefer contemporary and design hotels to the Grande Dame style)
- Room : nothing to say, it is extremely nice and comfortable. Decoration is a bit old fashioned, and not my favorite but this is only a personal opinion.
- Bulgari products in the bathroom
- Jacuzzi style bathtub in addition to a separated shower cabin
- Excellent quality of service (escort to the room, use of your name during every interaction, effective and friendly...). I will relate a short story that demonstrates the high level of service you can find
- Spa : really a highlight of the hotel. The spa is spectacular with two large swimming pools, a big jacuzzi, sauna, steam bath, luxury cloackrooms...
- Location in Ouchy along the Lake
- Free internet access (it seems normal when you pay 400 euros a night but it is not always the case for 5-star hotels...)

Cons
- Lack of (effective) technology : the TV management system is way too complicated and slow. Moreover some TV channels were not working as well as the MP3 player input
- Lights in the bathroom : impossible to have a dim light in the bathroom. Not really pleasant if you want to relax in the bath.

One short story to finish my review that demonstrates the excellence of service.
Before I went to the spa, I notified the front desk that the mp3 input was not working. When I left the spa, the staff there told me that a Bose soundsystem was brought to my room in replacement of the broken MP3 input.
And moreover, after completing the feedback form, I had additional (and really nice) apologies from a Supervisor.

This is really an hotel where they do care about customer satisfaction and where excellence means something and is not only a vain word. Can't wait to go back !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Studied, quiet elegance at any time of day or night, or weather permitting, on the exquisite terrace overlooking Lac Leman. My retreat after the death of my dear wife, I was inspired to manage grief at the very sight of a caring staff, dining room distilled in the evening light and a large suite that ignited and refreshed fading happiness. Ten days in the stunning embrace of Beau-Rivage was an altering experience and renewal of many happy times spent there several years earlier.

Room Tip: Whether an Alpine or lake view, you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We booked a suite with lake view - the later was stunning. Room was really nice, high ceiling, good mix of modern and traditional. Great in room food, good service, nice spa. If you have business in the center of lausanne you will have to take a cab or the metro

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Beau-Rivage Palace? Share your experiences!