“Excelent location, nice stuff, in overall good hotel” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hotel City to your Saves list
Hotel City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Caroline 5, Lausanne CH-1003, Switzerland   |
Ranked #38 of 48 Hotels in Lausanne
“Excelent location, nice stuff, in overall good hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

The location is in the city center and close to metro and stores.
The stuff is great. I payed for a single room and since they had an opportunity they gave me a double room. Very nice gesture. Not all the rooms have a good view. I asked for one with a view and got it on the 3rd floor, even with a small balcony.
They have this breakfast restaurant with a fabulous view in the city. It's a pleasure to sit there and have this great view.
The rooms are clean. In generally nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
citylausanne, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel City, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
We are really happy to see that you enjoyed our central location and the amazing view from the breakfast room on the Cathedral. We hope to welcome you soon again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

We chose this hotel for its convenience to the Metro after arriving by train at the main railway station.Its only a few stops away. First problem was finding it in the dark as there is a lower and upper exit in the metro. Make sure you come out at the top exit where the hotel is just opposite.The receptionist was welcoming and helpful but the room very dated and in need of a major makeover.There is no air con so the room got hot and stuffy at night.The windows did open but the noise from the busy street outside made this intolerable. Breakfast selection excellent but expensive at 20CHF. You pay for the view across to the cathedral it seems.All in all its OK for a v quick stopover but not a weeks stay.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed here over Christmas and were happy with our stay.

We were able to check in earlier than the check in time. This was despite a light hearted comment from the receptionist upon our arrival, about it not yet being check out time...!
We are not early risers so we never had breakfast in the hotel, but there are are some good coffee shops on the right just outside the hotel.

Maybe some of the rooms are already renovated and others not?
Our room was clean; the bed was comfortable; the heating worked very well.
Our bathroom was admitedly last decorated in the 80's, but it was clean and fuctional.
There was a great view over to the cathedral from the room.
We will return to this hotel next time we are in Lausanne.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

During 2011, I spent around 40 weeks in Lausanne on business and on one unfortunate occasion in early March I stayed at Hotel City of the Fassbind group.
Do not be mistaken, the price indeed indicates a 3 -or 4 star hotel (243 CHF without breakfast) but the hotel itself would not earn any stars from me.

First of all, just to show how misleading they are, in the reservation they stated 'Free multilingual DVD lending ', which is just not true. Not that I wanted to lend any DVDs, but if so, I could have done it for a fee. And I did not make a reservation through any travel agent or third party site, but on the hotel chain's own website.

Arriving to the hotel I already felt taken back into the 1950's. As you can see on the hotel's own picture provided, there is a sort of key-box with the room numbers where you should put your keys - you are indeed encouraged for this action as you get a keychain of one kg at least. Well, I rather took the weight from the key as there is no way I am putting my room key out there for the public.

Reception staff is very rude and does not speak a word English although I am sure he understood us. So just plainly rude.

Then you get into the elevator where you already get an idea about the cleanliness of the hotel. The whole elevator is covered in carpet which must have been there, uncleaned, for the last 50 years. It stinks accordingly.
You get out of the elevator and still have a few stairs to go down with your suitcase.

The room? As stinky as the elevator, no doubt. Same outdated carpet everywhere in the very small room, with a lot of stains. A bathroom where I felt I would rather not have a shower, it was so disgusting. I went to the public swimming pool instead which is not that far away from the hotel.

I found a beer glass in the mini-bar which was obviously used by a former guest and not been washed up by the staff - and it was left like that during my entire stay. How disgusting is that?
I bought my own beer for one night and drank it in the room (straight from the bottle ;) ), along with some chocolates. This must have given an idea for some of the staff, because a few days after I left I discovered that they charged some extra items to my credit card after I left! It took me a few emails to the management to get my money back. It is a shame that they allow themselves something like this and they just go and charge whatever they want after I left, without my authorisation or any invoices.

It is just a big laugh afterwards what you see on a plate above the hotel entrance: 4-star quality for 3-star prices. Ridiculous.

I would say never go to this hotel.

Room Tip: Just don't go there
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Myself and my family stayed in this hotel over Christmas 2011. The hotel has the benefit of being in the centre of town and so a great location but thats where the benefits end. I asked for extra pillows on the first night which after the third night had still not arrived.. When I asked the receptionist for the 3rd time if he could send them up he was apologetic and swore ... in French, probably thinking I couldn't understand... but they did finally arrive. Breakfast for the price is disgusting - one of the worst buffet displays I have ever seen - grey ham, dried round the edges cheese and cheap watery juices - I wouldn't give the "hot buffet" (claggy eggs and foul tasting chipolata sausages and chewy bacon) to my dog. This is all presided over by the meanest waitress who on Christmas day we christened "the Grinch who stole Swiss Christmas". We stayed 5 nights and our sheets were not changed once, or the carpet hoovered. This seems like a hotel chain which is going through a hard time - they give you 1 tea bag per person, one body wash per person, don't change glasses, no ironing facilities in room, needle and thread are on a cushion bolted to the inside of the wardrobe. Everything is just abit mean.....Its a shame as with a better management this could be a very solid hotel. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Our recent stay was blighted by the poor quality service in the hotel as well as its tired interior and awful breakfast.
Our sheets were not changed once in our 4 night stay and the used glasses were not replaced in the clean. We also asked for extra pillows on several occasions which never arrived until we demanded them again on our last night.
The breakfast is very basic and the waitress incredibly rude and short with all guest seemingly. To charge CHF 20 per person is nothing other than day light robbery.
All in all, this hotel is well positioned but with no parking facilities and a tired interior with poor level of service, I will not be recommneding it as a place to stay when in Lausanne.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

Bathroom was a little disgusting. Something on the toilet seat. Hair in the bath. Carpets also looked a bit nasty.

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Hotel City? Share your experiences!