“do not judge a book by its cover.... try it!” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Place de la Gare | Vaud, Lausanne 1001, Switzerland   |
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Lausanne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Annemasse, France
“do not judge a book by its cover.... try it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The problem with this hotel is that if you stand in front of the building, you don't feel like getting in.... it is often misjudged because it is situated in the Train station' area.
Now like any places, you will get negative judgement. And I respect that, but if you compare to a lot of hotels in switzerland, or compare to a lot of hotels in big european cities in addition that are situated next to a train station.. it is above average service.
my room was a single bedroom. True... you don't find this anymore... :) but they do have a little number. So don't look for a big room.... but such it is. However, the bathroom was great for the size of the room. You have it all in this. All rooms have been renovated. And it is soundproof !!! important being the place.
The breakfast and restaurant area is nice. And the personnel smiley and proactive compared to a lot of hotels I have been in Especially in Europe..
We are in Swiss, were it is often known for being expensive...but in relation to others hotels in this country.. .It is worth...Rating?? I would give a "B".

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were a family of 4. I Had a shocking on of its kind experience at checkin when the lady manager told me that I had paid too less for my bookings and went in to enquire how I had got my rooms so cheap whilst I waited. It was then suggested that I would not be given breakfast even though it was a part of my booking. I was eventually told that we would only get continental breakfast. The lady was rude and abrupt. My booking said Quadruple room. I was given a room with a double and a sofa bed. The hotel is really a 3 star with a non existent lobby area and opposite the train station. It is more frequented by foreigners mostly from the Middle east. The staff here really need retraining, especially in customer services. I believe our room was never vacuumed once the 3 night that we stayed here. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Dated. Need decent televisions, they don't cost much nowadays
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Amoma.com

contilausanne, Directeur général at Hotel Continental Lausanne, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

It’s quite surprising to read your feedback only now, after staying in our Hotel during August 2014. It is also quite strange that you haven’t tried to contact me during the 3 nights spent with us! Believe me; I could try to do my best for you and your family. Having found your reservation, I realize that you have just reserved and got a rate for a double room and you were…..4 persons! It’s the actual way of trying to find good rates in Internet. The responsible of the Front Desk tried to find a solution, offering you at the same rate a Junior Suite! It seems that you haven’t appreciated this.
We, at the Continental Hotel are proud as the majority (99%) of our Guests, found that the service and the Cleanliness of our rooms are part of the best points mentioned in their feedback!
On the other hand, we are an International Hotel, and happy to welcome all clients without any exception and from all over the world and India too!

Please accept my regards

Yannis Gerassimidis – Gen. Manager
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2015

When its comes to Swiss, hotels are in general quite expensive so was this hotel inspite having booked in very advance. The good thing about this hotel is its location, the central station is right opposite, the underground metro is right next to it. Quality cheap food restaurants like Burger King, Vapiano are literally its neighbours which was very handy and convenient. The downtown lake side is very well connected and in and around location is also quite nice for a after dinner walk. In total I enjoyed the stay. The hotel also provided us free public transport pass for the entire duration of stay. The breakfast was also good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sir,
Thank you so much for your positive feedback in TripAdvisor following your stay in our Hotel.
Is right that rates depend to the period and not really how many months in advance your reservation is made!
I would suggest to get in contact with us directly in order to let you know accordingly.
Hope to have the possibility to welcome you back soon at our Hotel and in the meanwhile please accept my best regards

Yannis Gerassimidis – Gen. Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2015

Am in the hotel every week. Feels like home. Breakfast served by Manuela and Julia is the best. Very much recommended.

Now I don't know what more to say to get the 200 characters, but this should do the trick.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your very kind feedback in TripAdvisor following your stay in our Hotel!
Your "few" words are more than enough for us and help us to improve more and more our service.
Hope to have the possibility to welcome you back soon and in the meanwhile please accept my best regards

Yannis Gerassimidis - Gen. Manager
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

Hotel Continental is located opposite to Lausanne rail station and above the Metro station, Lausaane Gare.

Very convenient location if you are on F&E trip and having luggages to toll along.

Room is relatively big with king-sized bed, a writing table and a coffee table with 1-seater armchair. Mattress is very firm (which I like compared to soft bed)

The only issue is the small toilet - could only fit in 1 person. However, toilet is clean and it has all the required amenities like hair dryer, rain shower (no bath tube though).

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Client,
Thank you so much for your positive feedback following your recent stay in our Hotel!
Hope to have the possibility to welcome you back soon again.
In the meanwhile, please accept my best regards
Yannis Gerassimidis – General Manager
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2015

I stayed in this hotel with my wife while on business. Location is unbeatable. Literary across the train station. Relatively clean and comfortable. On the second day when trying to take a shower discovered no hot water! Upon reporting if to front desk, I was informed that "it is not our fault"! Well it was and few hours later the problem was solved.

It could have been avoided with proper planing and back ups.

This is a hotel in the hart of Lausanne, and if is run by our lovely Greek brothers. So, if you can't speak any other language but Greek, this is heaven.

The staff needs to get trained and become less stressful and more generous. They do charge well for everything. The bar is boring and the restaurant unorganized and sad. Breakfast was 20 CHF per person.

They are coffee machine on each floor but you need to buy the capsules from front desk. So they act as it they are 2 star but it is actually a 4 star hotel!

If management really like a to make this place to feel and act like a 4 star, do the following:

1)Train staff on stress management.

2)Don't be cheap, put extra pillows and free coffee an tea on each floor.

3) Have a clear plan of action for when things go wrong like no hot water.

4) Communicate withe the guests on what happen and apologies, give a gift for their I convince.

And for got sale change the decor from nasty case of Athens and make it more modern to go with the rest of your hotel. You have the foundation and location you will have no problem packing this place with repeatable good guests.

Good luck

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

Good location near the station and metro however tiny room with rock solid single bed. Ac did not work and it was very noisy outside. Definitely not worth the money. Staff friendly and helpful. grill has very limited menu but is cooked to order.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
contilausanne, Directeur général at Hotel Continental Lausanne, responded to this review, February 18, 2015
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your comments in Trip Advisor following your recent stay in our Hotel!
We regret that you were not so satisfied with the room size, and for this reason I would be happy to arrange a different type, much larger next time. On the other hand, it's true that the AC is not working during Winter time!
Hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and show you our possibilities which I'm sure will change up your mind.
Yannis Gerassimidis - Gen. Manager

Been to Hotel Continental Lausanne? Share your experiences!