“Great location, unique decorations, view of Lake Geneva” 4 of 5 stars

Victoria Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   46 Avenue de la Gare, Lausanne 1001, Switzerland   |
Ranked #15 of 40 hotels in Lausanne
Minneapolis, MN
“Great location, unique decorations, view of Lake Geneva”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I recently stayed here on business and enjoyed this hotel. Each room is decorated differently and they were very quiet. I had a balcony where I could open the door and stand outside and see Lake Geneva from the room. Very close to the train that we took every day.

The breakfast was nice, with cereals, hard-boiled eggs, meat, cheese, yogurt, etc.

My company gets free internet and a bus/metro pass. Make sure you ask for the bus/metro pass as you can just jump on a bus or the metro for free. The desk staff needs to be encouraged a little to get the service you may like. For example, they were going to send us to a closed restaurant for supper, we asked them to call and then they found us a different one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the size where you can see the lake.
Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Clean and centrally located, this hotel was comfortable and I didn't have any fundamental problems. It doesn't however have much of a business centre, you need to pay for internet access, I didn't have a bath in the room, and the feel of the hotel is like something out of the 80's. It doesn't compare well at all to the Chateau D'Ouchy down the road where I stayed a few weeks ago, and the prices for our mid-week business rates were similar.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a bath if that's what you would like. I was in 301 which has a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

hotel is convenient for access to city centre & also close to train station & post office.plenty of shops/restaurants etc close by .hotel located in a quiet street.hotel is a boutique style with personalised service,staff helpful,paintings & art line the walls & lobby.breakfast is a old world style lounge.rooms & bathrooms are comfortable & efficient

Room Tip: book online & get a higher floor
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stay here whenever visiting Lausanne because this is the hotel my company books for me. The location is excellent for me because it's only a few minutes from the train station, where I arrive from Geneva airport. It's also close to the metro, which is very efficient and a good way to get around. The hotel also hands out free metro cards. Parking is terrible in this area, so drivers be warned.

The single rooms I stayed in are always quite basic. The bed is fairly small and the TV has a limited choice of channels with average reception. Wireless internet is way overpriced (should be free), and the breakfast is just ok (not much choice). The rooms also tend to get warm and I can't get the air con to get the temperature down (I don't think the controller is functional?). Cleanliness in the public areas is good but I did find some dust in the bedroom.

Staff are usually friendly, though I did find one of them a bit rude on one occasion. I think I asked for airline miles or something like that and she rudely refused to issue points as my company and not me paid the bill. Is this common policy in Switzerland? Or is it just this silly hotel and hopeless receptionist?

If I had a choice I'd probably stay somewhere else, frankly. This hotel is a bit tired and other than the proximity to the station I can't see any redeeming feature.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Even though this small hotel is located @ only 2 minutes walk from the train station and centre of this lovely city, it's very quiet and cosy.
The staff is very friendly and the rooms are very clean.
We will absolutely go back there!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We were staying at 4 different hotels in Switzerland and this was the only one we had a problem with. When we arrived we were allocated a room on the ground floor, literally next to the breakfast area and bar. I was extremely concerned about the potential noise level, particularly given that breakfast was served from 6.30. The receptionist was extremely reluctant to move us saying that they were fully booked and that 'most people said they couldn't hear the breakfast noise' - I commented that 'most is not all'. In the end they moved us into a room in the basement but she was extremely rude and aggressive about it saying 'This isn't very funny for me - we're fully booked.'

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

I stayed in this hotel from May 20th to June 2nd 2011.
First it is awesome location. 2 minutes walk from the train station and next to the metro Lausanne CFF. Also not too far from the city center and the sport clubs. They have a decent gym and a sauna.
I was given a room in the top floor. The good side is that it had a view on the lake. Having your breakfast while watching the lake was nice. The bad side is that the room was utterly small. I could not move without knocking something out of whack. The bed was very small for my taste. The decor was nice. It has an african touch and the carpets on the walls were sort of a mixture of asian and african. The breakfast was okay. I always had it in my room except twice. I have no comments but they should choose better juices though. The staff were nice. especially the blond with glasses. She was well too nice. When I arrived I got help with my luggage but not when i was leaving.
Overall it is an okay hotel but get away from the 6 floor. The rooms are way too small.

Room Tip: 6th floor room are very very small.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!