“Would definitely stay here again!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Beau-Rivage
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Zermatt CH-3920, Switzerland   |
Ranked #61 of 115 Hotels in Zermatt
Sacramento, California
“Would definitely stay here again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel is just off the main street and an easy 15' walk from the train station although they will pick you up between 7 AM and 7 PM if you let them know your arrival time. Very well appointed room with comfortable bed and down pillows. Good sized bathroom. A rear room with a view of the Matterhorn is more expensive than a front room with a balcony overlooking the street and well-kept, quaint cemetery (the cemetery was unlike any I've every seen). The restaurant Chez Max Julen is top of the line - wonderful meals and table service. The hotel is personally managed by the owner, i.e., it is family owned. Somewhat expensive but all Zermatt hotels are expensive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Las Cruces, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel was a nice place to spend the night and relax in the mountain village of Zermatt. The rooms are a little small by American standards, but were fine by European standards. The bathroom was spacious and well appointed. If you want a Matterhorn view make sure that you ask for it in advance, You will likely have to pay more for this. Some have complained that the non Matterhorn views are of a canal and a cemetery, but the canal is actually the river running through town and the cemetery is typically Swiss, neat clean and not creepy at all. All in all it was a nice, romantic place to stay and well located for the variety of activities around Zermatt.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for Matterhorn views of you want them and be willing to pay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is really nice, the staff are very very friendly and helpful. The room was clean, comfortable and the bathroom was spacious compared to similar prices hotels on this trip.

The view was overlooking a cemetery and the canal, we could walk around the balcony and see the Matterhorn as no one was staying in the room next to us - AMAZING

I would recommend the Restaurant downstairs, we shared the steak for 2 with veggies, for the price it was filling and delicious.. I still think about that mean now! YUM

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the Matterhorn view... that would of made my day
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ZH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

It's a simple hotel, I might question the 4*, but I cannot say I was disappointed as based on the pictures I got what I expected. The rooms were clean and big enough, beds were made in the evening, which is a plus, not all hotels do that. The reception was friendly, efficient, quick check-in. Sure they must be fancier and better hotels, but not at this price. At least we managed to book at a quiet favorable rate. We didn't have a Matterhorn facing room as I was not willing to pay the extra, if we will be looking at it during the whole day anyway while hiking. So we had the rooms facing the small cemetery, but I find it a bit ridiculous why people get upset about it. It's probably the most beautiful cemetary I have ever seen :) I was surprised that half of the graves were lit by candles in the evening and nearly all covered with flowers. To me it was rather positive to see how people care here for their loved ones. For me the only minus point was, that somehow the hotel seemed to be on the way home for a bunch of people returning from partying and they woke us up on Saturday night, and kept us awake for a while at 4 AM... We didn't eat at the hotel, so I cannot comment on the food bit.
There is a small wellness / gym in the hotel, opened by request in the summer. 7 CHF for the jacuzzi. As we were really tired after a day of hiking, this pretty much saved my day.
So I find the hotel was good for the rate I paid. If it had been higher, I might have looked for something fancier in town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Staying at this hotel has been a delight.

We took a cheap room looking down the valley over the cemetery. Well the cemetery is across the road, it is beautiful well maintained and even lovely at night with numerous candles. We even took a walk through it looking at the headstones.

The rooms at the back are smaller, but cheaper and but are still a huge size by comparison to most other places we have stayed in Europe. We saw into a suite facing the Matterhorn as we were walking out at night and they seem massive.

The furnishings are clean, modern and lovely.

They surprised us by coming in and doing a turn down service as well.

The floor has heating, the room is quiet, and there is a bath/shower arrangement in a large bathroom. There are even bath robes and slippers provided, not that we used them.

On a few occasions we asked reception for advice on activities/Internet access.

I think it was the owners wife and a younger night staff girl. Both were friendly efficient and helpful.

The only negative, and I list it here so it may help other technological minded people. Only my iPhone would connect to the wifi. To correct this on our iPad and my wife's iPhone, I needed to use a static ip address, I copied the settings from my phone and changed the last numbers on the ip address to give them an unique number then they both would work.

We didn't eat at the restaurant as they seemed large meals and we had a late fondue lunch at the Gornergraut. Also a bit pricey perhaps.

• Stayed August 2012
Powder Springs, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

If you want a perfect view from your terrace, this is it! The Hotel was very clean and the staff was very nice. Make sure you request a room facing the Matterhorn though or you will face the cemetary (which is also very pretty and really not a bad view). I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Matterhorn. I was on the first floor but I think the upper floor would ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed in this hotel in September 2011 and had a very pleasant stay.
The staff we met were lovely, with Michael in the front reception and small bar particularly friendly and helpful. We had chosen a cheaper front facing room, with views over the centre of the town and the river to the alps and although it does look over the cemetery it also looks over a park and the rest of the town. We really enjoyed sitting on our balcony looking out at this view. The Matterhorn was easily seen from the breakfast room and restaurant and bars, in fact there are opportunities for great photos of it from the little bar near the reception area. We found the room really comfortable and enjoyed the extra touches such as having the bed turned back in the evenings and our rubbish bin emptied twice a day.
Breakfast was plentiful and the lady who made the eggs and bacon for us was welcoming and friendly.
We would recommend this hotel for those who want a comfortable stay in a beautiful area.

Room Tip: The cheapr er rooms don't have views of the Matterhorn, but still have peaceful pleasant views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Beau-Rivage? Share your experiences!