“Romance at it's best...” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Chesa Valese
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Steinmattstrasse 30, Zermatt 3920, Switzerland   |
Ranked #59 of 116 hotels in Zermatt
Montreux
“Romance at it's best...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

...but I was there alone. When i called the hotel, the owner Mrs Daniela Julen answered with wit and humor!

For me this was just a one night crash but I felt I had been there for a week. The hotel is facing the Matterhorn so it makes reading a book on the balcony a pure delight. The rooms are very very cosy and impeccable in maintenance.

The lobby is made to stay and enjoy the day if you are not taking a walk or skiing.
This short stay made me want to book again, but not alone this time.

There are only 23 rooms, so maybe a bad review would be best in tripadvisor...just to keep it private for the connoisseurs :)

PS Breakfast: cooking a boiled egg, even in the 20th century, is not an easy thing especially because of the altitude. It was the best in years!

• Stayed January 2013

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

The fact that I am taking the time to write this review even after 3 months is a testament to how I appreciated my stay there. Our family of 4 was in Zermatt for a ski week and stayed in their 2-storey suite with a view over the Matterhorn. It is not cheap but it was worth it. The view is spectacular, to the point where I sometimes had trouble sleeping because I was mesmerized by the Matterhorn. The size of this suite is perfect for a family of 4 especially when you are staying for a full week. We made full use of the balcony too when we came back from skiing and just enjoyed watching the sun set on the Matterhorn.
This is our second time staying here. We passed through last summer and liked it so much that we booked it for one week in February. The location is very good for skiers because you are a few steps away from the local buses that take you to whichever ski lift you want; in other words it is very central. Their ski room in the basement is a bit tight but still quite functional. It is the first time I had access to individual lockers which was great.
The staff is very friendly. The lady who was on the evening/night shift while we were there had fun with our kids and totally got into the little pranks they like to play my husband and I. She was also the one to tend to our every little individualized need.
Although no meals are served there other than breakfast, we did not find it to be a drawback because there is such a wide selection of restaurants that we wanted to try in the village that we were quite happy to go out. Breakfast which is included with the room charge is plentiful and quite good.
The only constructive criticism I have is that their down pillows are too flat. Even with two of them I still had a sore neck and when you are there for skiing it can be a bit of an issue. I would suggest having a variety of pillows to offer guests depending on their needs. Although there are bars not too far from the hotel with loud people during peak season, we were not bothered by the noise when we kept the windows closed.
One positive thing worth mentioning is their fireplace in the lobby. Although a common thing in North America (especially at ski resorts), it is much more rare in Europe so I was delighted to be able to sit by the fire and read my book or have a drink from time to time. Thank you for that!
A lovely little place with a family atmosphere; I definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: The 2 storey suite with a view of the Matterhorn for an extended stay and a family of 4 is perfect.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
bangkok, thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

we really liked this small hotel in Zermatt. Stayed recently for a family skiing holiday. The rooms were charming and comfortable. The staff at Front Office were very helpful and the breakfast was of a good quality and variety. The hotel is also well located, a short walk from the main high street. Really enjoyed.

Room Tip: some rooms on one side of the hotel have distant views of the Matterhorn.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Somewhere On The Road Between Sydney And Europe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012 via mobile

A friendly family run clean, comfortable and slightly old-fashioned Valais style hotel well located in central Zermatt. The rooms are warm, spacious, airy with nice balcony, and although ours was too low to have a mountain view, it had windows on both sides. Furnishings throughout are pleasant and traditonal, lots of ornaments, ribbons, figurines etc (think the swisss equivalent of Laura Ashley rather than Philippe Starke). Bathrooms are large, spotless with lots of towels.
The ground floor dining room serves an excellent breakfast in light and airy surroundings in a relatively newly built conservatory, whilst the bar and lounge area provides a good venue for a drink or coffee near the fire, the complimentary bowls of fruit and a tea samovar are nice touches.
Staff were friendly and helpful providing useful advice on the town's restaurants, and transporting guests to and from the station in their cosy electric microbus.
In summary a great and not too expensive place for a weekend or perhaps a week, surrounded by a good choice of restaurants and easy walking distance to all Zermatt's main attractions.

• Stayed January 2012
all over the place
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Everything was perfect. The lady in reception was so kind, the room was excellent, perfect location. I wish the bfast was a bit more complex ( i just wished they had the totally swiss bircher muesli).

Room Tip: make sure the room is facing the front garden
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
suisse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

The owner and the staff will do absolutely everything to make you feel comfortable, cozy and happy. The rooms are just perfect. Breakfast very nice and generous. We loved it and will certainly go back soon. A place certainly to recommend

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I was at this lovely Chesa Valese on May 14,11. Unfortunately I had a chance to stay only 1 night there. The hotel is lovely,nice decorated both reception ares,restuarant where I had breakfast and also the room I stayed. The view from my room is magnificent.
I can see high mountain, church from the terrace.
The staff was very nice.helpful. Also this hptel has a car to pick me up from the train station also from the hotel to the train station.
This hotel has spa facilities which I used it because it was raining and I could not go out.
There are steam,sauna room,jacuzzi for the guests.
It was very nice staying at this hotel. I will definitely go back there again!

Room Tip: just ask for it!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Chesa Valese? Share your experiences!