“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 29 Zermatt B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in the hotel. Nice large size rooms. Had a Matterhorn View Room with Balcony on the first floor. View was pretty good but a higher floor would have been better. Service was okay but some staff just did the minimum. No mini bar or air conditioning. Breakfast was simple continental style. Hotel is located about 10 minutes walk from the train station. Internet worked well during the stay. Opposite the hotel is a small cemetery which may be an issue for someone. The town is quite small so everything is close by. We visited Gornergrat by train which was very nice but no snow underfoot. Glaciers on the mountains and Matterhorn could be easily seen. We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I think I will do this review by listing out the positives and then the negative.
The Positives.
1. The hotel is easy to find , and not too far from the station.
2. The reception is friendly.
3. The room are spotlessly clean, with hot water and large rooms compared to european hotel rooms in general
4. It is good value for money.
5. The breakfast is wonderful.

The Negatives.
1. We got there at about two in the afternoon , but were told that we would have to wait for about two hours for the room to be readied ( we'd booked months in advance at the hotel directly by email). When one gets to a hotel after a long journey , one needs to freshen up and not sit around a lobby for two hours.
2. My train was scheduled for 6:13 in the morning and the reception promised to arrange a taxi ( an electric cab of sorts ) to be at my doorstep at 5:45 AM. The taxi never arrived , and we had to half run and half trudge through three inches of snow with our baggage, to make it to the station on time.The reception opens only at 7 in the morning,so the option of ringing up the taxi was absent
3. The email said ' Room with a View'. It was a view alright , but a view of the road outside and NOT of the Matterhorn.
4. I stayed at the Annexe and it was a Saturday night with quite a lot of noise at night from the road outside.

My conclusion ; An OK place, but they are rather inflexible .

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

This hotel is centrally located less than 400m from the railway station on level ground and better still tye bustop to all the lifts is just outside the back door and very handy.
Its also a very short walk to all the restaurants and bars.
The Antika serves a decent breakfast and the bread is exceptional.
The rooms are quite large, great beds and with modern bathrooms, a balconey and amenities.
Wifi throughout is good.
I would stay again for sure.

Room Tip: Had a great room with open outlook over the cemetary and mountain
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Excellent location, easy to find hotel on kirchstrasse, easily marked by the big church. Near the pappardelle pub and a short walk to the sunnegga gondola, or there is a bus stop for the free ski bus down the stairs conveniently located next to the hotel ski room. No restaurant and the breakfast bar is basic but fine. There is a cute little bar beside the reception but you are not allowed to bring drinks to your room. Expensive for a solo traveller but then that is a major ski resort in switzerland in mid february!

Room Tip: All rooms hav a view of the surrounding mountains. The ones to the rear of the hotel are likely to h...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel for a weekend o skiing. I booked it through the Zermatt Tourist Board. A few days after the booking I got an email from the hotel in German (which I don't speak, and my reservation was made in English) and I skimmed through the email and it seemed to be acknowledging my reservation.

Little did I know that when I arrived to the hotel the front desk tells me there had been a mistake and the price I had already paid for the hotel was wrong and I needed to pay extra for staying in (they allegedly gave me the price for a double instead of a triple room).

Upset by this I told the front desk only two people would be staying in the room. Apparently they did not like this for they wouldn't even allow three people to change in the lobby bathroom or put three pairs of skis in the ski room while one of us changed.

This was so disappointing. I checked in to a different hotel.

Do not stay here you will regret it.

• Stayed February 2012
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We arrived in zermatt by train and were collected by the hotel concierge. I had done plenty of research before choosing the Antika. All of my hopes were surpassed. Fabulous value. Charming warm rooms. High quality furnishings and linens. Faultless bathroom and very modern clean spa in the basement.
Breakfast buffet was simple, fresh and ample. The views toward the Matterhorn are mesmeric and could not be beaten by any other hotel in zermatt. In fact the antika is flanked and surrounded by the mega expensive 5 star hotels. We loved being a snow balls throw from the highstreet and a charming stroll from the station. The ski bus stops RIGHT outside the ski room door. Perfect, and very regular. There is no restaurant here that I know of. Just hog quality bedrooms and a small bar on the ground floor. We ate somewhere different every evening. Fondue, pizza, rosti, McDonald's. Yes, there is a McDonalds!!!!! I loved this village, enjoyed the bars, the epic endless skiing, the views and ambience. Unless you are looking for total luxury. Then paying more to stay elsewhere is pointless. I can't wait to go back frankly! NB I asked them to put flowers and chocolates in my room and they did that. Very nice people happy to guide you around the resort.

• Stayed December 2011
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I was lucky enough to actually get an upgrade at this hotel. I had booked a room in the cheaper annexe section with shared bathrooms however as it was the end of the season this area had already closed in preparation for the upcoming winter season so I was given a hotel room at the front of the hotel.
For this reason I have to say I definitely go value for money.
The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the station but I think they have a small electric car they can pick you up in. One thing I didn't like is that on arrival the reception was closed with a note saying they will return at 2pm. This is usual for hostels etc but found it a little weird for a hotel to do this.
My room was clean and large. The bathroom was a good size with a bath and shower. One thing that would have been good was to have had toiletries instead of the soap dispenser on the wall.
My room was on the road side overlooking the cemetary with a balcony. The only issue with this is that it was a little noisy at night when people where on their way home. I would try and avoid these rooms.
Breakfast was average.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Antika? Share your experiences!