“Third time, just as nice as the first two” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Garni Tannenhof

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zermatt
Hotel Garni Tannenhof
You added Hotel Garni Tannenhof to your Saves list
Bahnhofstrasse, Zermatt CH-3920, Switzerland   |
Ranked #77 of 116 Hotels in Zermatt
Lancashire
“Third time, just as nice as the first two”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I like the Tannenhof. I have been there three times now, it's my B&B / hotel of choice in Zermatt. The rooms are simple but adequate, the location is superb right in the centre of Zermatt. The breakfast buffet offers a good selection. The manager is always friendly and helpful. If only the Wifi was free of charge, but there is free wifi in the town so it's not too much of a let down.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were not ready for the number of tourists in Zermatt. However, the hotel manager made us very welcome and showed us to the room which was small but more than adequete. Our balcony gave afforded us our evening drinks whilst watching the world go by. It beats watching TV! The breakfast was more than sufficient and again the manager was helpful with ice and electric adaptor.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony when reserving a room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was lucky to get a room upgrade which made my experience perfect.

In Zermatt which is an extremely popular tourist destination especially in summer, getting a well-priced accommodation is tough.

Just a 5 mins' walk from the train station, room had a balcony which overlooked the main street, spacious toilet was equipped with a bathtub, bed was huge and comfortable.

Receptionist was very helpful and friendly. He recommended me some tours and even called the tour company on my behalf.

Breakfast buffet was limited but delicious.

Although there is no lift and my room was on the 4th floor, everything else made up for it.

Value-for-money, you will not regret this choice!

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I travelled through Switzerland in March 2013 on a whim and literally found myself in Zermatt on the flip of a coin. Knowing noting about the area whatsoever, I wandered the snowy streets at sunset and happened upon this place.

The owner welcomed me with a warm smile and - with almost unbelievable luck - told me he had one room left for the night in question. I can't remember the price (it was quoted in CHF, but worked out at around £30) but I enjoyed a large twin room (down duvets) with a vast, spacious en-suite bathroom (bath, shower, toilet, bidet, basin, plenty of surface space, big windows, lots of light) all to myself.

Breakfast the next morning was wonderful - my first taste of Swiss cuisine, and utterly fulfilling. The owner (apologies for not noting your name!) offered me all manner of advice on the area - and gave me more maps and guides than I knew what to do with. His directions got me to the Gornergratbahn without issue and I left feeling satisfied that my chance stay in Zermatt had been worth every penny.

Thanks, my friend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hillsboro, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

First, we should mention Edward (I hope I'm spelling his name correctly). I believe he is owner of the hotel. He went out of his way of being very helpful to my wife and I. We really appreciate it. He was the best part of the hotel. The rooms are average. The curtains make the room look like it needs to be updated, but look similar to other places I stayed in Switzerland. We requested a double bed, but ended up with a room with two twins bed pushed together. Overall, the hotel felt more like a hostel than a hotel. I will refer to the other reviews about the breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Desert, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had somewhat low expectations of this reasonably priced hotel in Zermatt, but once I got there, I loved it. The location is perfect - most of the way up the main (Bahnhofstrasse) street near the church square (practically on it). The bells are noisy at the church but it's not a deal killer. The front desk manager, Eduard(o) couldn't have been a better representative of Swiss efficiency and hospitality - he helped us plan our hike, mail a box to the states, and offer suggestions for restaurants, shopping and photographs. His warm smile, knowledge and accessibility would rate as a top concierge at any hotel in town.
The rooms are on the small side, there's no view, the decor is dated, the walls thin, the breakfast buffet only ok (the Swiss don't usually serve coffee group style out of a pot), and there's no elevator, but you won't mind once Eduardo checks you in and helps you out. By far the most reasonably priced property anywhere in town.

Room Tip: the rooms don't have views except of the property next door. The balconies face their rooms. You...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

If you're on a tight budget this is a fine place to stay. The manager was helpful, we were given maps, train schedules/prices and advice on good walking trails. The room was clean and comfortable, and we didn't have any noisy neighbours (I think it must have been low season, because there didn't seem to be many guests while we were there.)
One thing my partner and I noticed about our room is that it got very warm at night even with the heater off. We were in Zermatt while they were having a late start to spring and so it was still cold with snow on the mountains. Even so we found that we needed to have a window open so we didn't get too hot at night.
The shared shower and toilet were clean and both close by. The breakfast was plentiful, although sometimes things would run out, and would be slow to be replenished.
Be prepare for the church bell which is not far away. It starts up at 7:45 in the morning and continues to "let you know the time" all day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Garni Tannenhof? Share your experiences!