“5 Stars with personalized touches.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Riffelalp Resort 2222 m to your Saves list
Riffelalp Resort 2222 m
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Zermatt 3920, Switzerland   |
Ranked #19 of 115 Hotels in Zermatt
“5 Stars with personalized touches.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

A stunning getaway from the tourists-conquered Zermatt city centre, this resort provides true serenity.
I will pass the well-known qualities it pocesses, instead focus on what really impressed me during my stay- service with a touch of humanity.
Quite a frequent user of 5 stars hotels, I always find the chain-managed premises elegant but cold.
On my first day of hiking trip, I found myself missing of a backpack. The concierge, after knowing that, offered to lend me his own backpack, without any hesitation.
The breakfast, as previously mentioned by other users, is wholesome with substance. The cook in the egg station easily prepared us the best egg white omelette. I thought I was full after eating it, but he came to my table, and confidently introduced me his made-to-order crêpe. I didn't regret over-feeding myself with his delicate crêpe; what a clear difference from the everywhere-American style pancakes prepared by most hotels these days.
I will be back to this resort soon. I knew that from the first day of my stay. And probably the staff could tell that from my discreet smile.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

After a lifetime of skiing, I know that I've found a perfect partnership - Zermatt and the Riffelalp Resort. I've enjoyed 4 winter holidays in Zermatt but the pristine location of the hotel at 2222m, dominated by the Matterhorn, providing ski-in/ski-out ' red ' runs ,easily makes it the best hotel. It richly deserves the ' 5 star superior ' status by virtue of its high quality accommodation, restaurants, ' wellness ' facilities and service. The staff exude a warm, relaxed charm and provide service with a smile . Memorable moments :- 1. a generous upgrade to a chalet room, making arrival on our wedding anniversary especially enjoyable; 2. relaxing tired muscles in the warm outdoor pool/jacuzzi whilst admiring the Matterhorn; 3. wine tasting before dinner on 3 evenings; 4. a fabulous dinner in the " Walliserkeller " ; 5. a gourmet meal in the " Alexandre " ; 6. ' gifts ' in our room, like champagne , chocolates . But, sadly, there was one big disappointment - we had to leave !! It is a pricey hotel but well worth every Swiss franc.

Room Tip: Request view of the Matterhorn.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London GB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Riffelalp Resort is a classic ski-in/ski-out hotel/resort. It is of the highest standard across the board. Excellent staff (truly friendly people all through the hotel), superb rooms (some small but all beautifully decorated and immaculately maintained). 3 excellent restaurants, the favourite being the Walliser Keller, but they're all good. There is a ski shop on site, and a lovely spa area where you can get various massage treatments, and where they have a calm indoor pool and a brilliant outdoor pool. Truly relaxing, and heavenly location.

Did I mention the stunning view of the Matterhorn from nearly all the rooms?

Room Tip: There are some rooms without views. Be sure to request a Matterhorn view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We just returned from a one week stay at the Riffelalp Resort. One of the best vacations we have ever been on. My wife and I had never been to Switzerland before, and have always dreamed of skiing in the Alps. We settled on Zermatt as a destination, and found this resort after doing some research. The experience was fantastic. The property was beautiful, isolated, and incredibly relaxing. The views of the Matterhorn were breathtaking, and the nights were so peaceful.

The service at this resort is impeccable, and the amenities were top notch. After a day of skiing it was so nice to be able to use the pool and spa facilities, which were very well maintained and an experience in themselves. The staff always greeted us by name whenever we went down for a meal, and always made us feel welcome. The restaurants on site were wonderful, and we had such a nice experience each and every night we ate there. We are not "foodies" by any stretch, but we appreciate find dining, and the meals were prepared beautifully.

As for location, it was great to be up on the mountain away from everything. Sure it takes a little effort to get down to the town, but given the isolation, scenery, and service, this didn't bother us in the least. It is a five minute walk to the train, and then a 20 minute train ride (beautiful by the way) down to Zermatt. Skiing in and out was so nice. It was so convenient each day, and the skiing was beautiful.

Overall, one of the most relaxing vacations we have ever been on, and I think it's a tribute to the service and the staff that we were made to feel so welcome during our stay. We will definitely be back! Thank you so much for a wonderful vacation.
Adam S.

Room Tip: If you can get a view of the Matterhorn, I think that would make all the difference.
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

The Riffelalp delivers all the charm and magic that it portends in it's ads, however, visitors really need to know what they are getting themselves into. It is really one of the most unique properties I've visited with exceptionally fine service.

I feel compelled, though, to explain to potential visitors that logisitics of staying there.

Please know that the Riffelalp is NOT in Zermatt and getting to the town (which is a fun, lively place) is rather arduous. One big catch is that you CANNOT stay in the town past 1130pm. This may be fine for some - but as a late 30's couple we certainly wanted to experience a couple nights of our vacation going out. We actually stayed in one of the sister hotels one night of the vacation and we were very glad we did because Zermatt is quite a fun little town around midnight. An unfortunate miscommunication with the hotel led us to spend about 500CHF at a sister hotel when we wrongly presumed we could stay down in the town if there was room (I suppose "No problem" does not mean "No charge").

Anyway - the isolation of the hotel may be an appeal to some but, for us, it was a considerable drawback. We also found the food quality really lacking in the hotel - so you did feel somewhat trapped in that regard as well. The 'dine around' plan is somewhat helpful - but the other restaurants tend to have a similar food quality with the exception of the Mount Cervin Palace being slightly higher.

Lastly - the hotel is really not a true 'ski in - ski out' in the sense that you might imagine. There is one run leaving the hotel in the morning (which is always somewhat icy and a certainly challenging for beginners) and getting home in the afternoon requires you to use one run which is narrow, crowded, and uneven. There is always the option of using the train - but it's quite a hike in ski boots.

All of that said - the service is impeccable and the rooms are terrific. The view of the Matterhorn is unsurpassed. We would advocate for this hotel so long as guests (particularly younger ones) understand that it is a very quiet place that is rather isolated.

Aberdeen,Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

The Riffelalp Hotel restaurant which we first visited around twenty years ago is now part of the very much expanded Riffelalp Resort 2222(metres).
We had visited for lunch on several previous occasions over the years.This time we were over from Cervinia for the day.
The view towards the Matterhorn from a table on the terrace is a fantastic setting for a blow out ski lunch.The quality of the food and the service is fantastic.The three of us each had one of the lunchtime specials-effectively a tasting menu of five different dishes on the one large plate-at 43 Swiss francs mine was not cheap but worth every cent and the bottle of the hotel's own labelled Fendant wine accompanied it perfectly.
One day when I win the Lottery we'll actually stay in the hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

What a place to stay...on top of the mountain, ski in ski out, unspoiled view of Matterhorn.
Rooms are romantic, fully equipped and very, very comfortable. Excellent restaurants and staffing. You really feel at home here.
Service is written with a capital S. We could not have wanted more. The pool area is a great place, the outside pool has direct view on Matterhorn. Everything is taken care of, so you can focus on relaxing in a very luxury atmosphere. Are there no cons? Well if you have to find one, its the price! Nevertheless we found the hotel worth every franc paid!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riffelalp Resort 2222 m? Share your experiences!