“5 Stars with personalized touches.” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Riffelalp Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Zermatt 3920, Switzerland   |
Ranked #47 of 116 hotels in Zermatt
“5 Stars with personalized touches.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

A stunning getaway from the tourists-conquered Zermatt city centre, this resort provides true serenity.
I will pass the well-known qualities it pocesses, instead focus on what really impressed me during my stay- service with a touch of humanity.
Quite a frequent user of 5 stars hotels, I always find the chain-managed premises elegant but cold.
On my first day of hiking trip, I found myself missing of a backpack. The concierge, after knowing that, offered to lend me his own backpack, without any hesitation.
The breakfast, as previously mentioned by other users, is wholesome with substance. The cook in the egg station easily prepared us the best egg white omelette. I thought I was full after eating it, but he came to my table, and confidently introduced me his made-to-order crêpe. I didn't regret over-feeding myself with his delicate crêpe; what a clear difference from the everywhere-American style pancakes prepared by most hotels these days.
I will be back to this resort soon. I knew that from the first day of my stay. And probably the staff could tell that from my discreet smile.

• Stayed June 2012

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

After a lifetime of skiing, I know that I've found a perfect partnership - Zermatt and the Riffelalp Resort. I've enjoyed 4 winter holidays in Zermatt but the pristine location of the hotel at 2222m, dominated by the Matterhorn, providing ski-in/ski-out ' red ' runs ,easily makes it the best hotel. It richly deserves the ' 5 star superior ' status by virtue of its high quality accommodation, restaurants, ' wellness ' facilities and service. The staff exude a warm, relaxed charm and provide service with a smile . Memorable moments :- 1. a generous upgrade to a chalet room, making arrival on our wedding anniversary especially enjoyable; 2. relaxing tired muscles in the warm outdoor pool/jacuzzi whilst admiring the Matterhorn; 3. wine tasting before dinner on 3 evenings; 4. a fabulous dinner in the " Walliserkeller " ; 5. a gourmet meal in the " Alexandre " ; 6. ' gifts ' in our room, like champagne , chocolates . But, sadly, there was one big disappointment - we had to leave !! It is a pricey hotel but well worth every Swiss franc.

Room Tip: Request view of the Matterhorn.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London GB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Riffelalp Resort is a classic ski-in/ski-out hotel/resort. It is of the highest standard across the board. Excellent staff (truly friendly people all through the hotel), superb rooms (some small but all beautifully decorated and immaculately maintained). 3 excellent restaurants, the favourite being the Walliser Keller, but they're all good. There is a ski shop on site, and a lovely spa area where you can get various massage treatments, and where they have a calm indoor pool and a brilliant outdoor pool. Truly relaxing, and heavenly location.

Did I mention the stunning view of the Matterhorn from nearly all the rooms?

Room Tip: There are some rooms without views. Be sure to request a Matterhorn view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We just returned from a one week stay at the Riffelalp Resort. One of the best vacations we have ever been on. My wife and I had never been to Switzerland before, and have always dreamed of skiing in the Alps. We settled on Zermatt as a destination, and found this resort after doing some research. The experience was fantastic. The property was beautiful, isolated, and incredibly relaxing. The views of the Matterhorn were breathtaking, and the nights were so peaceful.

The service at this resort is impeccable, and the amenities were top notch. After a day of skiing it was so nice to be able to use the pool and spa facilities, which were very well maintained and an experience in themselves. The staff always greeted us by name whenever we went down for a meal, and always made us feel welcome. The restaurants on site were wonderful, and we had such a nice experience each and every night we ate there. We are not "foodies" by any stretch, but we appreciate find dining, and the meals were prepared beautifully.

As for location, it was great to be up on the mountain away from everything. Sure it takes a little effort to get down to the town, but given the isolation, scenery, and service, this didn't bother us in the least. It is a five minute walk to the train, and then a 20 minute train ride (beautiful by the way) down to Zermatt. Skiing in and out was so nice. It was so convenient each day, and the skiing was beautiful.

Overall, one of the most relaxing vacations we have ever been on, and I think it's a tribute to the service and the staff that we were made to feel so welcome during our stay. We will definitely be back! Thank you so much for a wonderful vacation.
Adam S.

Room Tip: If you can get a view of the Matterhorn, I think that would make all the difference.
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

The Riffelalp delivers all the charm and magic that it portends in it's ads, however, visitors really need to know what they are getting themselves into. It is really one of the most unique properties I've visited with exceptionally fine service.

I feel compelled, though, to explain to potential visitors that logisitics of staying there.

Please know that the Riffelalp is NOT in Zermatt and getting to the town (which is a fun, lively place) is rather arduous. One big catch is that you CANNOT stay in the town past 1130pm. This may be fine for some - but as a late 30's couple we certainly wanted to experience a couple nights of our vacation going out. We actually stayed in one of the sister hotels one night of the vacation and we were very glad we did because Zermatt is quite a fun little town around midnight. An unfortunate miscommunication with the hotel led us to spend about 500CHF at a sister hotel when we wrongly presumed we could stay down in the town if there was room (I suppose "No problem" does not mean "No charge").

Anyway - the isolation of the hotel may be an appeal to some but, for us, it was a considerable drawback. We also found the food quality really lacking in the hotel - so you did feel somewhat trapped in that regard as well. The 'dine around' plan is somewhat helpful - but the other restaurants tend to have a similar food quality with the exception of the Mount Cervin Palace being slightly higher.

Lastly - the hotel is really not a true 'ski in - ski out' in the sense that you might imagine. There is one run leaving the hotel in the morning (which is always somewhat icy and a certainly challenging for beginners) and getting home in the afternoon requires you to use one run which is narrow, crowded, and uneven. There is always the option of using the train - but it's quite a hike in ski boots.

All of that said - the service is impeccable and the rooms are terrific. The view of the Matterhorn is unsurpassed. We would advocate for this hotel so long as guests (particularly younger ones) understand that it is a very quiet place that is rather isolated.

Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

What a place to stay...on top of the mountain, ski in ski out, unspoiled view of Matterhorn.
Rooms are romantic, fully equipped and very, very comfortable. Excellent restaurants and staffing. You really feel at home here.
Service is written with a capital S. We could not have wanted more. The pool area is a great place, the outside pool has direct view on Matterhorn. Everything is taken care of, so you can focus on relaxing in a very luxury atmosphere. Are there no cons? Well if you have to find one, its the price! Nevertheless we found the hotel worth every franc paid!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

This is not just the best hotel in the Alps, this is a world class hotel in a spectacular location which allows you to totally relax in silence and solitude half way up the mountain. Everything has been thought through beautifully; comfort and attention to detail are of paramount importance. One senses that all the staff have attended Swiss hotel school where they still know how to do things properly. Having said that, the service is not at all stuffy, it is friendly and carried out with warmth and helpfulness.
The bedrooms are every bit as luxurious and comfortable as one would expect for a hotel of this standard. Large and airy, they are decorated in traditional chalet style with well appointed bathrooms (seperate loo), and sunny balconies.
The main restaurant (Alexandre) is the most formal of the three restaurants, serving international cuisine worthy of at least one Michelin star. What I really like about it is that despite the slightly formal decor, there is a nice relaxed atmosphere; no dress code, no obligation to dress up. The hotel is frequented by the sort of people who simply know how to behave regardless of what they are wearing and don't need to be told how to dress! The maitre d' (Alcindo) is the best I have ever encountered.
The Wellness Centre is the best outside of a dedicated spa - and even then it would be a close run thing. Lieing on an under water massage bed in an outdoor heated pool with a view of the Matterhorn and the sound of skiers swishing by on the nearby piste. Heaven!
And all of that without mentioning the skiing. Of course Zermatt is a renowned resort with extensive skiing and this is genuinely a ski in/ski out hotel. There is a branch of a local ski shop within the hotel and they will look after your every need. Your skis and boots are stored without ever having to walk more than about ten paces with your ski boots on. Heaven again!
We've been coming here for over 25 years and we'll be back.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a view of the Matterhorn and the rooms at the front of the hotel offer the best vi...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riffelalp Resort? Share your experiences!