“Lamb Lovers Go Here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Schaeferstube

Restaurant Schaeferstube
Romantik Hotel Julen, | Daniela & Paul Julen, Riedstrasse 2,, Zermatt 3920, Switzerland
+41 27 966 76 00
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Lamb Lovers Go Here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We ate at the Restaurant Schafersubli during the week when we were vacationing in Zermatt. Although the restaurant was empty when we arrived (not sure why this was--maybe a because it was a weeknight in the summer, or maybe we just eat earlier than the swiss) which threw us off initially. However, the waitresses were very gracious and helpful, and the Lamb was out of this world. I grew up eating Lamb a lot and can confidently say this was some of the best rack of lam I'd ever had. Moreover, the mixed salad and the dressing was delicious. I would definitely recommend this restaurant especially for tourists who want a very traditional looking swiss restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

93% Recommend
NYC
“Delicious dinner, wonderful service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Found this place listed as one of the best restaurants in Zermatt and I was extremely pleased by the food, service, and the ambience. Our waitress was kind enough to tell us that we had ordered too much food and guided us with fantastic recommendations. While everything was fantastic, the lamb chops were out of this world... amazing favor and perfectly prepared. I had read some reviews on TA regarding bad service at this restaurant, but we couldn't have been more pleased. We didn't have a reservation, but they still sat us at 9pm which was a very busy time for the restaurant. She checked back many times to make sure we were enjoying our dinner. And went well out of her way to help recommend Zermatt hikes for us.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston
“The decor and food are great, but service, not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

This evening, our first in Zermatt, we chose this restaurant as it was highly recommended on TA and was very close to our hotel, it's raining and we're tired. They were very good about accommodating two people with no reservation around 8:30 PM, when things were already in high gear (lots of families and lots of full tables).

As another reviewer mentioned, it can get hot in this location without windows open. I could see our server and another server perspiring because it was very busy, however, the only windows open were small ones at the ceiling height, to let the cool evening breeze enter the restaurant. The waiter we had was not confident nor apparently very capable of serving guests who only speak English. It's true that someone came around more than once but it was not to say "is there anything not to your liking or how is the food or service" with a question mark at the end. It was to state "We are very happy to have you here and we hope you enjoy your evening."

So server does not understand which salad I order off English menu that another server, who seated us, provided, so I find the salad on German language part of menu and point to it. I also use a tiny bit of French to clarify what my partner orders. The starters come, they are good, delicious in fact, but our carafe of mineral water (sparkling, not flat) that was brought to us, with ice, as requested, has a chip on it and appears to have a slow leak where the water is seeping onto our table cloth and slowly soaking it.

We are concerned the chip in the class is dangerous, as it is where the water will pour, so my husband points this out to server, and orders another liter of sparkling water. In response the waiter removes a carafe with at least one more glass of mineral water in it, and we get a carafe of still water. We give up and drink the still water, though we strongly prefer (sparkling) mineral water. In addition, and after a very long, long wait for our main dishes, my husband orders a coke. TWICE we remind the waiter of the order and he only gets to deliver it after the second reminder, when we have both finished our entrees.

My husband ordered the coke because it is hot in the dining room. The decor is 'homey' and charming and very Swiss, and the other guests are chatting and enjoying and visiting and lingering, including two families with large parties seated near us. One with small children, definitely pre-school age, who are screaming and screeching and no-one is shushing them. At one point a youngster behind me is crying. Families should be welcome in restaurants and parents should be aware that some of us go out to enjoy an evening with our adult companion, not a visit to a very noisy playroom.

What we ordered was good, but the mains took a ridiculously long time to be delivered to us with no apology or explanation and the fact that the waiter didn't understand our orders in English, and forgot to replace sparkling water with more sparkling water in a carafe without a flaw in it and forgot a drink, after two reminders, tells me either he is not suited for this work or his supervisors are not interested in seeing that guests receive proper service, or both. We are on vacation, so not wishing to make things difficult for anyone, we declined to stay for dessert or coffee (or more whining children) and emerged to a peaceful, cool street. 110 Swiss Fr. for two starters and two mains, no wine. I will not return, even though the food is good, and I guess I would suggest going earlier, when things are less busy, if you absolutely must try this restaurant. It has lots of competition in Zermatt, so I hope the proprietor takes note.

Visited July 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Best Cheese Fondue...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had the pleasure of dining in this restaurant which was in our hotel (Hotel Julen). The decor and ambiance was outstanding. We had a great bottle of wine with our cheese fondue. The fondue was excellent along with the service. Definetly worth the visit.

Visited October 2012
Perth, Australia
“Great Lamb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We had a great meal in this little restaurant it is down stairs in a hotel, our only complaint was that it was very warm & on a nice day there were no fans or open windows which could of made it more comfortable. We ordered a rack of lamb which came out in two separate serves It had a nice flavor & was cooked perfectly the owner is passionate about his lamb & it shows. If you like lamb give it a try you won't be disappointed

• Visited June 2013