“Great Location, clean, safe, great friendly service and parking too!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Zurigo

Hotel Zurigo
Corso Pestalozzi 13, Lugano 6900, Switzerland   |
Ranked #32 of 41 Hotels in Lugano
Davis, California
“Great Location, clean, safe, great friendly service and parking too!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Zurigo at the recommendation of my friends who lived a couple of blocks away so it was convenient for us to meet and enjoy the downtown area of Lugano for my 9 day stay in Lugano. The hotel was clean, conveniently located to everything (downtown, buses, casino and lake only 5 minute walk, shops and restaurants everywhere etc..). What I appreciated the most was their service. My airline lost my luggage for 3 days (sent it to Locarno instead of Lugano from Zurich). The lady at the front desk gave me a toothbrush, toothpaste and basic items until I could go to a store and pick up a few things while I waited for my luggage. She was most kind (she was an asian lady and sadly, I don't recall her name). Besides their fine service, the hotel was run very efficiently by a dedicated staff of people that always greeted me each morning with "Bon Giorno"! The breakfast of croissants, salami, ham, mortadella, cheese, jelly and jams and rolls with delicious coffee was perfect to start my day for the 9 days I stayed at HZ. I enjoyed the nice new flat screen tv in the hotel room, perfect size for the double room I requested since Swiss rooms tend to be small. The room was nice size with a balcony and I enjoyed the great mini bar/fridge that was stocked with beer/soda/water in the room to quench my thirst after siteseeing. The large double bed was very comfortable on the third floor and I was never disturbed by noise from any of the other guests. The bathroom was a bit small, but clean top to bottom! I was so pleased upon my departure when I was told my room rate was reduced from 190 CHF to 140 CHF per night because I stayed over 7 days. I left a 100 CHF tip for the nice ladies who took such good care of me during my wonderful stay in Lugano. I highly recommend this hotel and will look forward to their warm hospitality on my next visit to Lugano. This hotel is definitely underrated and they even have ample parking for their guests (a huge problem in Lugano is parking).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Zürich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Unfriendly faces all over the place, if I would have seen one smiling face at reception or in the breakfast room, it would have deserved a 4 instead of 3 star rating.
Breakfast really basic italian (ie a weak point) but nice room, excellent beds, no noise and therefore a good place if you want to sleep and nothing else; plus a good location, not to forget, everything is close from here. And although you pay extra for parking, at least there is the possibility

• Stayed August 2010
Chicago Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

I checked in for a five night stay. They didn't have a single so I took a 'double for a single'. The room was roomy enough the bed was comfortable and being on the 3rd floor and overlooking a side street fairly quite. Breakfast was very limited. They offered cheese, jam, yogurt, cornflakes and some bread and rolls. No fruit and oh yes, a few slices of some sort of sausage which no-one picked. My biggest problem was the internet. Although they offer free wi fi they have no internet point where you can use their pc. I did bring my laptop but upon arrival there it decided to break down. Therefore I no internet capabilities for the entire stay there at the hotel. I had to find an internet cafe which was 5 SF for 15 min. Way to expensive for anything but a few emails. I ythink you could do better at some other hotels.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

I stayed at the Zurigo Hotel in Lugano for 7 nights during the Boogie Festival in April. The location was perfect as everything is walkable from the hotel. The room was away from the main street and was very comfortable with a TV, radio, alarm and a hair dryer, The breakfast was excellent and the staff were most helpful. Shopping, restaurants and the lakefront are all 5 minutes away. There is an wonderful Thai take-away just half a block away as well. I will definitely return.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

This hotel is located in a fairly good area, close to a main bus station and a 5-10 minute walk to the old town centre and the main lake. From outside it looks very pleasant - like an old villa.

In contrast, the hallways you walk through to get to your room, are a bit cold in style (linoleum flooring, bare walls with high ceilings, etc) which seemed like they were more suited to an office building or hospital than a hotel. While everything was clean and well kept, some of the decor and style seemed straight out of the 1970's, which is quite the norm in some smaller hotels in Switzerland!

Both me and some friends stayed here and we saw got 2 completely different types of rooms!

The first room was a bit small with a double bed, windows towards the back of the hotel and the television fixed towards the ceiling. A sliding door lead to the small bathroom.

The second room had a very large bedroom with a big window overlooking the front of the hotel. The large bathroom sink was actually inside the bedroom rather than the bathroom.

Inside the bedroom, there were 2 steps on the left wall leading to a bright lime green door. Behind this door was the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in my life ! It must have been no more than a meter wide and 2 or 2.5 meters long (with no window) and contained a toilet seat and a shower head near the ceiling. This was EVEN SMALLER than most office lifts (elevators) I've been in!!! Even if you are not claustophobic, you will be after showering in this! I had to leave the door open when using the toilet so I wouldn't feel like I would get trapped in there!

Breakfast was included and was fine - although nothing special.

Service was cordial and we had no complaints during our stay but if I were to come back I would "shop around" and compare prices and facilities with other hotels in central Lugano, perhaps even look for a place with a view of the lake.

• Liked — Clean and well kept
  • Disliked — The claustrophobic bathroom !
  • Stayed May 2005
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Zurigo Hotel for a couple of nights in September 2005 while on a cycling trip of the area. It is located in an attractive older building right in the centre of town which has been completely renovated inside in a very spare and modern style. The hotel catered to both tourists and well dressed business people. We had a nice room, but the bathroom was quite amusing. There was a large sink in the room, but for the toilet and shower you had to step up into a tiny room which was a green plastic pod - most unusual!
The front desk staff and very pleasant and helpful, and the breakfast was excellent. We paid 100 euros a night, which we thought was very good value. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Hotel Zurigo? Share your experiences!