“Clean room, parking great, staff ok, great location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Zurigo
Corso Pestalozzi 13, Lugano 6900, Switzerland   |
Ranked #30 of 40 Hotels in Lugano
Trento, Italy
“Clean room, parking great, staff ok, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We stayed 5 nights in March 2012. It was my husband, me, and our 3.5 year old, who slept in an inflatable bed that we brought for her.

The room was fine, and there was enough space for the extra child's bed... but not much more. The beds themselves were comfortable, with very clean sheets and blankets. There was also a small refrigerator in the room, which was full of stuff to buy, but we found room for our own drinks. With the window closed, we didn't notice the street noise.... and there was plenty since our room opened onto a busy street.

The bathroom had only a tiny shelf above the sink for personal items, which was not enough for us. But everything was clean, which is the most important element for me.

We parked our car in the hotel garage for 15 CHF per day. We had unlimited in/out, and did not need to interact with the staff at all for this, which was nice.

The staff was fine. We didn't ask for recommendations about Lugano, so I can't comment on that. But when we did interact during check-in and at breakfasts, I always got the impression that they were "cold". Not rude, just not "friendly".

The breakfast area had one child's high chair, which our daughter appreciated (she doesn't like sitting on her knees). The food was fine for breakfast. Only one cereal option, though. The croisants were good.

The location is great. Being across the street from the bus station gives you quick access to most of Lugano, and fast access to the center, the lake, and the conference center (Centro Congressi).

I would go back because it's a good, clean place. But It's certainly not luxury.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lugano, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

The hotel is very clean and very well kept. The room we stayed in, while small, was sleek and modern. It had 2 twin beds, a TV, desk and large closet. The bathroom was tiny, but there was a good amount of water pressure in the shower. We did not stay in one of the premium air-conditioned rooms, so the room got a little stuffy, but it was otherwise great.

The breakfast spread was small, but typical. Every guest gets a bread basket with a croissant, roll and some sliced bread. There's also an assortment of cheeses, sliced sausages, and yogurts. The coffee wasn't great, but they also offered a variety of teas.

The free WiFi was a very nice addition to the room. It was very fast and we didn't have any problems logging on.

The only con for us was the noise level. We were on the second floor with a room overlooking the central bus station, and there was noise late into the night. Very odd for Switzerland. The service in the hotel was also very brusque, at times.

All in all, it was a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Orebro, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

The hotel is a Garni hotel, that is breakfast only. It has two main features in a by traffic clogged up city like Lugano. Try to find a place to park! The hotel is located smack in the middle of the town with everything close by. Shopping, banks, department stores whatever your craving might be. It has its own garage which will take also large cars. The rooms could partly be slightly better and the best rooms are on the top floor. Free Wi-Fi and a continental breakfast that is satisfying. It is nice and clean but still the best part is its location. For a couple of days stay it is good enough for anyone. One thing though, the pillows could be slightly larger.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Have stayed here in the past & would stay again. A good 3 star Hotel in the centre of town. Can be noisy if you have a front room with no air conditioning,as it is right opposite the bus terminal. Rooms are a reasonable size & very clean,but the bathroom is tiny. Staff are friendly & helpful, & the breakfast is adequate. Prices are at the top of the range for this type of Hotel, but there are more good things than bad about this place.
Next time I will pay extra for an a/c room.

Room Tip: take a rear facing room,or pay extra for a/c
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Hollywood Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

Hotel Zurigo is actually only a Budget-Hotel, like Bed and Breakfast, in impeccable Swiss Quality though. It is an excellent choice, primarily based on its very superior location and facilities. This hotel is within the proverbial 3-minutes walking distance form the Casino di Lugano and an endless choice of excellent restaurants, bistros, bars, including the famous "Investors Cafe" of Lugano. Banks, Main Post Office and the famous Via Nassa with it`s remarkable shops are also right there across the street or piazza. Nevertheless, what really makes the decisive difference, is: Hotel Zurigo provides good parking lot plus an roomy and safe underground garage, which few if any other Lugano hotels can offer. Not at that rate, anyway. So, particularly if you travel by car to Lugano, thence would like to be able to step out of the hotel and be right in the heart of the city, and only a short stroll to the Lago di Lugano promenade, that Hotel Zurigo is the solution. And If you try Hotel Zurigo with that lot of advantages, you will probably become a returning guest, like myself.
And, yes, if you wish, you might sit on your room balcony with some wonderful Swiss cheese and a bottle of good wind, relaxing, looking at the city life and traffic outside the hotel garden in front of the house.

• Stayed October 2010
Davis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Zurigo at the recommendation of my friends who lived a couple of blocks away so it was convenient for us to meet and enjoy the downtown area of Lugano for my 9 day stay in Lugano. The hotel was clean, conveniently located to everything (downtown, buses, casino and lake only 5 minute walk, shops and restaurants everywhere etc..). What I appreciated the most was their service. My airline lost my luggage for 3 days (sent it to Locarno instead of Lugano from Zurich). The lady at the front desk gave me a toothbrush, toothpaste and basic items until I could go to a store and pick up a few things while I waited for my luggage. She was most kind (she was an asian lady and sadly, I don't recall her name). Besides their fine service, the hotel was run very efficiently by a dedicated staff of people that always greeted me each morning with "Bon Giorno"! The breakfast of croissants, salami, ham, mortadella, cheese, jelly and jams and rolls with delicious coffee was perfect to start my day for the 9 days I stayed at HZ. I enjoyed the nice new flat screen tv in the hotel room, perfect size for the double room I requested since Swiss rooms tend to be small. The room was nice size with a balcony and I enjoyed the great mini bar/fridge that was stocked with beer/soda/water in the room to quench my thirst after siteseeing. The large double bed was very comfortable on the third floor and I was never disturbed by noise from any of the other guests. The bathroom was a bit small, but clean top to bottom! I was so pleased upon my departure when I was told my room rate was reduced from 190 CHF to 140 CHF per night because I stayed over 7 days. I left a 100 CHF tip for the nice ladies who took such good care of me during my wonderful stay in Lugano. I highly recommend this hotel and will look forward to their warm hospitality on my next visit to Lugano. This hotel is definitely underrated and they even have ample parking for their guests (a huge problem in Lugano is parking).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Zürich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Unfriendly faces all over the place, if I would have seen one smiling face at reception or in the breakfast room, it would have deserved a 4 instead of 3 star rating.
Breakfast really basic italian (ie a weak point) but nice room, excellent beds, no noise and therefore a good place if you want to sleep and nothing else; plus a good location, not to forget, everything is close from here. And although you pay extra for parking, at least there is the possibility

• Stayed August 2010

Been to Hotel Zurigo? Share your experiences!