“IBIS Budget hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Belgrade
“IBIS Budget hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

In Lugano IBIS chain has 2 hotels. Regular "IBIS" and "IBIS Budget Hotel".

I have stayed in IBIS Budget Hotel (opened in July 2012). Although it is classified as 1* property, i had a very nice experience. First of all, the price was very acceptable (around 75 CHF + 2 CHF tourist tax) and this was the lowest price i could find in Lugano, but the service level and quality of the room was much better comparing to some 3* hotels (based on the conversation i had with my friend who have also been in Lugano in the same period).

The room is not that big, but still it was big enough for me to feel comfortable. Bed was great and i had no problems sleeping. This is a king size bed. I had a separate toilet. The shower is entered directly from the room, and the sink is in the corner of the room. So, for me traveling alone this was perfect, simple but perfect. I guess this room set-up will also we fine for couples, but in case you want to share room with the colleague maybe is better to take 2 separate rooms.

Room was extra clean. Towel are changed every day, but my advice is to bring shampoo and hairdryer, since hotel only provide soaps. My room overlooked the lake and the view was magnificent.

Hotel is located in the so-called Paradiso area. Hotel is located on 10 minutes walking along the lake to the city center + additional 5 minutes to the Congress Center + additional 5 minutes to the University.

Taxi from Railway stations to the hotel i paid 15 CHF.

I did not take breakfast, i found it a little expensive and it is served in IBIS regular hotel.

Parking is provided.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I've stayed at a couple of Ibis (budget) hotels before, so I'm familiar with the formula. The no-frills offerings.The green grass motif that is cute at first but then starts to remind you of how McDonald's used to have paintings of their mascots on their walls. Etc. Etc.

But this is the worst one I've ever stayed at.

Firstly, the parking situation was incredibly confusing. There was a lack of signage all around. There are two hotels (three if you count the 'regular' Ibis and not the Budget version) using the same parking garage. There was minimal signage before entering the garage, so you didn't know in advance how much the parking was going to cost (FYI - 20 Francs per night!!). There isn't adequate signage inside the garage, so it's difficult to navigate the underground maze leading to hotel reception. (It could be partially my fault, as although it was obvious where one needed to enter the hotel, it appeared to be guarded by a key card reader - as we'd not checked into the hotel yet, I thought the door wouldn't open. I was later told by the front desk staff that it WOULD open without a key. I just didn't try the door, as based upon past experience, I was looking for another entrance way into the garage.) Anyhow, this was annoying and time-wasting start to the check in process. I'll skip the check-in process for now.

Inside the room was typical Ibis budget fare. However, it was freezing cold and there was no way to adjust the temperature. The bunk bed on top was poorly laid out, resulting in banging one's head getting in and out of the bed underneath. The construction of the toilet room door was laughable - it was a cheap piece of plywood with exposed metal hinges - a thinner version of the swinging door in the OK Corral Saloon. The door didn't even go all the way to the bottom, so there was not a lot of privacy. It felt like I was very exposed using the washroom, which is not a nice feeling when you are travelling with someone.

I paid the requisite extra money for the wireless internet. However, the password and login combo was not working when I followed the supposedly 'correct' instructions amended by the check-in fellow. But, after wasting a lot of time, I just followed the network details on the slip as printed, and they worked.

The check-in and check-out process was tedious. There was only one person working both times, and we had to wait for a long time. Another man popped into the scene, but apparently had to go elsewhere right away. There seemed to be some issue with English language comprehension with the female staffer at one point. She was pleasant enough, but it just seemed to operate at a snail's pace.

There were no restaurants in the area open a little later in the evening (I can't recall the exact time - around 10 pm?). The only option was to drive a little ways to the McDonalds. The vending machine items were limited and overpriced (yes, I know it's Switzerland, but even so.)

On the plus - it is in a good location if you want to visit the funicular. (I didn't end up using it, as I found out it was apprx 46 Francs return!) Anyhow, there were nice cafes in the area. The rooms are relatively modern in appearance as it's a newer hotel.

I know there aren't a lot of budget or low-priced properties in beautiful Lugano, so this is an option to consider. But I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
baton rouge, la
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed at Ibis Budget, which is part of the new Novotel and Ibis Hotels. They are all connected by hallways and stairs. I chose this hotel for a quick one night layover between trains. Basically, I chose it as it was new and low priced for Switzerland. It is very basic. There is no shampoo or hair dryer, so although I was pleased to have ac, I left with my hair wet on the train the next day! The beds are hard and the sheets are rough, maybe 200 threadcount, but they were extremely clean, like no one had ever been in the room. The shower sits in the middle of the room, so dont expect privacy and the toilet door does not lock. If you know to expect accomodations similiar to a travel trailer, you will be fine. The hotel was quiet and our room overlooked the pool to the Novotel, which you do not have access to. The breakfast for 11Euros was fine, and I was real pleased to have coffee waiting for me instead of going elsewhere. I found the stay to be an adventure, but my husband thought it was too basic. The area around the hotel is nice and we felt very safe here. The check in was overwhelming for the young lady working the desk, and she could use some help with all the questions from guests, but hopefully, they will work it out since it has only been open 2 months!

Room Tip: Ask to overlook the Novotel pool!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Lugano can get really hot. My first instinct when booking a room in this area is that the hotel MUST have air condition. I found this Ibis Budget at Paradiso-Lugano. Although there is no a/c switch as such, but you can definitely feel the comfortable air once you are inside the establishment and your room. They controlled the a/c centrally however they didn't really blast it. So it was nice, and comfy. The location is also great. Within 10 minutes of walking distance from the Lugano center.

The room is well kept clean and neat...A very simple room . You DO however, need to bring your own shampoo as they only provide small soaps.

For under USD80/night, you can't beat this price in this touristy location !!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Zürich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed 5 nights at the Ibis Budget. Staff is very friendly and helpful for a one star hotel. Rooms are very basic but that is all I needed and do not want to pay for more that I would no use anyway. Beds are comfortable and I slept very well with the windows shut. Wifi available foc and connection is reasonably fast. The friendly staff made my stay very enjoyable and I will return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel ibis budget Lugano Paradiso? Share your experiences!