“Enjoyed” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 44 Hotels in Lugano
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Enjoyed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

Hotel Lido Seegarten, is not fancy but it is very clean and the service is great. Stayed on the 4th floor, which is the top floor on this lake side hotel. Had 2 great meals at La Terrazza . Must try the Lasagne Emiliane, OMG, the best I have eatten in a long, long time.
Lugano seems to be a very safe city with some great places to eat and you can walk to them without worry. I must say, this is a very clean city and the folks are so chic.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

When arriving in Lugano, I found traffic difficult with drivers - as opposed to Europe north of this place - not being very considerate or anticipating. Eventually, I just parked at a bus stop, and ran towards the nearest hotel I saw. It turned out to be the Lido. They had no single room, but instead a double room. Since I've been staying at different Ibis hotels, for basically less than half the price here, I said it was a bit expensive for me. The receptionist then helpfully named another nearby hotel I could try. However, due to the car situation, etc, I chose Lido.
Car parking was outdoors, at a parking space nearby. I had to ask the receptionist if I had parked my car at the correct place. The car was visible from the hotel entrance, so the receptionist only had to move herself 3 meters to see it. She said I had parked it OK, but in such a nonchalant way I got a bit confused anyway.
The room had a balcony. When looking out of the window, I also noticed they had a swimming pool. Also, the geographical view was beautiful, as others have pointed out.
I wasn't very impressed with the service. I found the receptionists a bit nonchalant, and they was hardly at all polite or so.
I got a good sleep.
As usual at hotels, I didn't have breakfast (I don't have much of an apetite in the morning).
When checking out, I again found the receptionists nonchalant and almost unpolite. Not very friendly, interested, helpful or service-minded. I almost felt a bit uncomfortable and unwelcome. During my stay, I also had no information whatsoever about the possibilities of using the swimming pool or other facilities (?) at the hotel. No questions or interest regarding if I enjoyed my stay, or wondered about something, or needed some sort if help or assistance.
My final question (it may sound as if I asked a lot, but my total interaction with staff lasted for a maximum of 3 or so minutes) was about finding a beach. Again a nonchalant answer. No map, and obviously no writing on the map pointing out how to find a nearby beach. The instructions again was nonchalant. I turned out to walk the wrong direction (I think), walking for 15-20 minutes without finding the beach. Later I found what I think they meant. It was at the opposite direction (towards the center of the town), just a few minutes from the hotel.
I had travelled far, and it's a bit sad that the staff managed to make me feel unwelcome rather than welcome.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank SwedishBypasser

Travelers are raving about these Lugano hotels

Florence, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Great view, it seems to be in the middle of the lake.
Very good swimming pool.
Good bar.
At the end a very nice hotel I would definetilly reccomend it!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Inspite of some negative reviews, we drove by and since we were tired of driving in heavy traffic, we decided to check it out. It is one of only a few hotels to have a waterfront property, most are across the street from the lake. It was more expensive than we usually like, but it is Switzerland, and travel bargains are hard to find. We were travelling with our daughter, age 21, and needed space. They had a large corner room with a king and a twin (302), with two balconies overlooking the lake and mountains. Without a doubt it was the most beautiful view we ever had. The furniture was not elegant, but it was satisfactory. The room was very clean and quiet. The bathroom was clean and had all we needed. The floor was carpeted, the bathroom with marble tile. The cost for three with breakfast was 425 euros. Lake view doubles started at 320, mountain/street side doubles started at 260 euros. The euro at this time was $1.24 and falling. The desk was helpful, perhaps a bit formal by American standards, but ready to help. The breakfast was of high quality, scrambled eggs, ham, bacon, sausages, cheeses, fruit, yoghurt, juice, and pleanty of coffee. Parking was free, but the wireless internet cost 25 euros for a day. The fitness center was on the roof, and you could work out with a view that was out of this world.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank captainmcd
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

This hotel has a wonderfull view of Lake Lugano, i recomended a lot

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Zürich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

I would never in my life recommend anyone to stay at this hotel.
I booked through tripadvisor at a nice rate for a room with myself and my daughter. The price was confirmed over the internet for two. When I got there they said they would be charging more - almost double the original amount booked over the internet because we were two people and not one. I asked to speak to the manager and was then told she was eating lunch but I could wait half an hour and she would tell me the same! THe parking for the hotel is also a total rip off - outside and in full sun and the gate does not even work properly.
I told them to keep their room and went across the road to Villa Castagnola - this is the most charming, beautiful hotel and I can so so recommend it for anything from children to the most romantic honeymoon getaway. The staff are magnificent and if you get a garden room it is 1000 times nicer and even cheaper than the Lido Seegarten hotel!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trio09
Geneva
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

We are lucky enough to be able to travel a all over the world and had a really bad experience with this Hotel. It has an absolutely wonderful view hence their price probably. When it comes to service , quality and particular attitude from the personal and in particular director, they are a real shame for Switzerland and in particular for the friendly Ticino. I m sure we will be finding other Hotels in Lugano who deserve their 4 stars. Luckily they are but an exception. Claudio

p.s do not expect any bathrobe, househoes, evening service, nor any electronic key for the garage ( particularly nice when it poors with rain you have but get out of the car to do the numbers..when and if it works...! hilarous ) but expect the omelette with your breakfast around 18chf ! when pointing those details out expect to be sent to a 5 star ...as only response by the owner..! I was expecting to see candid camera around the corner... !

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The lack of quality, personal and service in the room...extremely poor...no bathrobe, houseshoes, no evening sevice and this is supposed to be a 4 star...price wise yes...
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ClaudioGeneva