“Best view ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Lugano
Houston
“Best view ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Inspite of some negative reviews, we drove by and since we were tired of driving in heavy traffic, we decided to check it out. It is one of only a few hotels to have a waterfront property, most are across the street from the lake. It was more expensive than we usually like, but it is Switzerland, and travel bargains are hard to find. We were travelling with our daughter, age 21, and needed space. They had a large corner room with a king and a twin (302), with two balconies overlooking the lake and mountains. Without a doubt it was the most beautiful view we ever had. The furniture was not elegant, but it was satisfactory. The room was very clean and quiet. The bathroom was clean and had all we needed. The floor was carpeted, the bathroom with marble tile. The cost for three with breakfast was 425 euros. Lake view doubles started at 320, mountain/street side doubles started at 260 euros. The euro at this time was $1.24 and falling. The desk was helpful, perhaps a bit formal by American standards, but ready to help. The breakfast was of high quality, scrambled eggs, ham, bacon, sausages, cheeses, fruit, yoghurt, juice, and pleanty of coffee. Parking was free, but the wireless internet cost 25 euros for a day. The fitness center was on the roof, and you could work out with a view that was out of this world.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

This hotel has a wonderfull view of Lake Lugano, i recomended a lot

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Zürich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

I would never in my life recommend anyone to stay at this hotel.
I booked through tripadvisor at a nice rate for a room with myself and my daughter. The price was confirmed over the internet for two. When I got there they said they would be charging more - almost double the original amount booked over the internet because we were two people and not one. I asked to speak to the manager and was then told she was eating lunch but I could wait half an hour and she would tell me the same! THe parking for the hotel is also a total rip off - outside and in full sun and the gate does not even work properly.
I told them to keep their room and went across the road to Villa Castagnola - this is the most charming, beautiful hotel and I can so so recommend it for anything from children to the most romantic honeymoon getaway. The staff are magnificent and if you get a garden room it is 1000 times nicer and even cheaper than the Lido Seegarten hotel!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Geneva
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

We are lucky enough to be able to travel a all over the world and had a really bad experience with this Hotel. It has an absolutely wonderful view hence their price probably. When it comes to service , quality and particular attitude from the personal and in particular director, they are a real shame for Switzerland and in particular for the friendly Ticino. I m sure we will be finding other Hotels in Lugano who deserve their 4 stars. Luckily they are but an exception. Claudio

p.s do not expect any bathrobe, househoes, evening service, nor any electronic key for the garage ( particularly nice when it poors with rain you have but get out of the car to do the numbers..when and if it works...! hilarous ) but expect the omelette with your breakfast around 18chf ! when pointing those details out expect to be sent to a 5 star ...as only response by the owner..! I was expecting to see candid camera around the corner... !

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The lack of quality, personal and service in the room...extremely poor...no bathrobe, houseshoes, no evening sevice and this is supposed to be a 4 star...price wise yes...
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

The views of the lake are awesome, the pool is fine and the breakfast and service were fine, but that's about it. Maybe I am just not familiar with the Swiss star-rating system, but the room had linoleum (!!!) floors, dated and very flimsy and cheap bed and furniture. Not four star in any other country I have been to, more like two star. Hotel is mostly full of German and Swiss senior citizen couples or families.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — linoleum floor in room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

Stayed there in 2003 and 2005 with my mother. Good service and food .Not cheap, but Switzerland is never cheap.The Grill Room and Pizzeria menu offer the best value.So you can order of that all day and evening to keep the costs down
Quirky key cards that open the door to your suite and the need to put into slot once inside to turn on the electricity.The hotel does not give you instructions when you check in so it is guess work.Also there are insufficient instructions on how to use the telephone in the suite.Hotel updated in 1995. Rooms could do with an update.

• Stayed June 2005
SWEDEN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

I have to celebrate my mother who turns 80 in a couple of months. So why not take her to a Grande Olde Dame in Lugano? Which seems reasonably priced? So I whizzed down overnight to scout the Lido Seegarten. After having explained my purpose and asked a couple of routine questions I was mailed back to provide my credit card number. I found this a trifle unusual for just one night with halfboard and said so. Hotel rules however, state that one MUST do so. So I phoned them and gave my number. 2 days before arrival I mailed another question l and got an answer from the owner, stating that "we are not so funny as You are" and that a credit card number was needed. I phoned for the second time, gave the number again, explained that it had been given previously, and the receptionist found the number as well. I asked them to tell the owner this.
On arrival, I was shown to a clean room wit a lovely view. Modern furniture and electronic lock that did not work. Got a key which worked. Had a drink served by Cesare, the kind barman and a very decent three course dinner for CHF 50. Good selection of wine in half bottles. Good service in the restaurant with kind and interested waiters. On leaving I had to give my credit card and then punch in my security code behind the desk. Something I do not remember having been forced to do anywhere else. I would have been quite happy with the stay if the owner, or at least reception staff would have asked if everything was to my satisfaction, and, perhaps, if I would like to celebrate mother there. They did not. I mailed the owner afterwards and told her I felt a bit sad about the reception and the card thing but have to date received no reply. That unfortunately leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. The hotel is nice, the view lovely and the food good. I just wish the owner would have been a wee bit more interested in communication with her guests.

• Liked — The lovely view
  • Disliked — The lack of interaction between owner and guest
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Lido Seegarten? Share your experiences!