“Amazing view !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Victoria au Lac

Save Saved
You added Hotel Victoria au Lac to your Saves list
Hotel Victoria au Lac
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Riva Paradiso 2b ingresso da Via G.Guisan 3 | Paradiso, Lugano 6902, Switzerland   |
Ranked #36 of 41 hotels in Lugano
Ottawa, Canada
“Amazing view !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

We stayed an overnight @ Victoria au Lac in Lugano . From the train station to the hotel, its roughly a 5-6min taxi ride or even the bus which costs $1.50 1way and drops you a street away. The hotel is lovely from the outside but once in the lobby it looked like in the sixties: old decor, old-fashion furniture... the front desk was helpful though. The room was overall clean and cozy. The view was fantastic. The location was great for our needs: a minute walk to the boardwalk . 10 minutes walking distance to restaurants, stores, boutiques... We took a fairy around the lake located few minute away which was breathtaking. For the price we paid it was well worth it !

Room Tip: view on the lake
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
All over the world
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

Overall, my stay at this Hotel was one of contrasts, on checking in, I found the kitsch reception area and stairwells somehow compelling and adding a real air of character to the establishment. Please, if you ever refurbish (which you should) keep all this in tact - it's too cool to remove! The staff here were brilliant! They were polite, friendly and in keeping with the character of the hotel. So far, so good. Then the room... I knew the rate was cheap, but the rooms are a real anachronism. Think 70's soviet and you're getting the picture. They represent space-planning at it's worst, as the overall area of the room would allow a reasonably capacious space in the hands of the right interior designer. The problem is it's just plain wrong inside these rooms. There is also no internet in the rooms. NONE. In 2009 in a developed country. Also, the temperature was furnace-like with no air-conditioning so I slept with the window open. The bathroom: it was possibly designed by the inventor of the Japanese capsule Hotel - it's just that small and cramped.

BUT - I can't help but kind of like the place, I probably wouldn't stay again or recommend it to a friend, but if I had been able to instead sleep in the elaborately decorated stairwells or reception area I probably would go back. A refurbishment in the right hands coupled with it's existing great staff would make this a real gem.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
myob
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

Did not enjoy my stay.

Hot and stuffy room, very old style decoration throughout.
Noisy night (had to leave windows open)

Showering is really difficult if you want to keep the water from spraying all over the room.

My colleague in another room told me his shower did not work at all.

The whole place badly needs a makeover - or at least a interior decorator to make sense of the collage of styles

Only forgiving point are the nice views from restaurant balcony on to the lake.

Staff friendly (I did not complain about my night here)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for three nights. We had, on request, a room with a balcony where we could sit, view the lake and have a glass of wine which we really enjoyed. The room was fine, with good quality bedding, a firm bed and was very clean. The bathroom was a bit small, but the bathtub/shower did present a challenge. The bath tub was very narrow, so it was very difficult to stand, and the shower head was placed very low on the wall. Fortunately there was a place to sit between the wall and the tub, so you could take a shower of sorts sitting down. My wife and I are in our 60s and physically in very good condition. We wondered how someone who was elderly and perhaps not physically well could manage with such conditions. The towel bar next to the tub was bent which indicated, that perhaps someone had to use it to stop from falling. We felt this was potentially a very dangerous situation, especially since the tub was high. We did ask at the desk about this and were told that you could request a room with a box shower. This was our only concern about the hotel. We found the breakfast to be excellent, there were two computers on the first floor which offered free internet access and it was located right on the lake. We did not have any problem with traffic noise once we closed the windows. One night the room was quite warm .I called the desk to ask about how to work the air conditioning and he turned it on remotely and told me how to turn it off and on from the room. The location of the hotel is excellent, we were close to everything, the lake walk, restaurants, buses, and the train station. We were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
corsica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

This is a very unpleasant Hotel, all the lakeview rooms are above a nightclub which is open every night till 5 am, the noise is terrible and also from the very heavy traffic outside, only a few rooms have aircon. but it doesn't work. The decor is weired, the Owners < non swiss> very unfriendly and rude as well as the Headwaiter is a very rude man. He got our bill wrong and when questioned he said in German something like <your not quite right in the Head> he was unaware that I could understand him as I am swiss , he thought we were all english. The Breakfastbuffet was not nice, Cereal , bread , crackers ,Jam or soft cheeslets. Please do not choose this Hotel!!

• Liked — the lakeview
  • Disliked — very noisy and unfriendly
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

The hotel is situated right by the lake, so the location is nice, but it is still a bit off the center of Lugano. The other side of the center is a nicer area. This, combined with the noisy and seemingly dodgy bar downstairs, and the fact that they play loud Abba-music at breakfast, made me check out after only one night, instead of staying the four nights I had planned. I moved to the other part of town. (I have nothing against Abba-music, but during breakfast on the terrace by the lake...a mis-match if I ever saw one)

• Liked — the terrace by the lake
  • Disliked — the area
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

Stayed at this hotel for 2 days. We had the room 51 with a beautiful view over the lake (breathtaking view I should say). The hotel is not in the center but it is about 10 minutes walk on the lake boardwalk. Rooms are big and decorated old fashioned. The breakfast was really not worth it. The bar and the dancing is more for singles with bar girls... Overall, nice place to stay in Lugano. Don't forget to eat at the casino's restaurant. Great place to eat with beautiful view.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The bar
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Victoria au Lac? Share your experiences!