“Very, very average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 43 Hotels in Lugano
Auckland, New Zealand
“Very, very average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Great location in downtown Lugano, but no views at all. If you are sensitive to noise, avoid rooms on the same side as the cable car that runs every few minutes from 5am until midnight to the railway station. The room was clean, the bed OK, the bathroom OK. What was irksome was to be nickel-and-dimed over trivial things. A Euro for a tea bag in your room? Wifi was not free, something uncommon these days in hotels. These are small things that seem trivial, but cheapened our regard for the hotel. Upper floor rooms are risky if you depend on an elevator. Should someone on another floor leave the elevator door open, it wont work.

Room Tip: Not high level floor. Not on same side as cable car - too noisy.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The hotel wasn't as loud as some made it to seem. Of course my room was on the other side from the funicular, which I'd recommend, but my sister had her room right over it and said it wasn't too bad.

The location of the hotel is right in the middle of this cute shopping area. Very easy walk to the lake.

You have to pay for wifi, but its only a couple of dollars and once you get the password, you can install it on as many devices as you need to, no need to pay for multiple uses.

Room Tip: Would ask for room away from funicular.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ormiston, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Amazing location. We walked about 30 metres from the train and boarded the funicular railway down the hill. Then we walked about 10 metres to the door of the hotel!!!! We paid for an economy room but were given a regular room which is on the opposite side of the building from the funicular. We had our aircon going but could still here the funicular as a small low rumble for about 5 seconds every5-10 minutes. It really is not that bad and it did not wake us up or keep us from falling asleep. We chose this hotel for its proximity to the funicular- so we expected some noise. The room was clean and tidy. The aircon worked perfectly. Wifi cost us 2 Swiss Francs so was basically free. Excellent friendly staff. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try and choose one away from the funicular. Some rooms actually straddle the funicular as the rail l...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The last time I stayed in Lugano I regretted not being able to stay right in the center of town or close to the rail station. This time I chose this hotel for this reason and I was so glad I did!

It was pouring torrential rain the afternoon that I arrived and to be able to get on the Funicular at the train station and be dropped off right outside the hotel door was a Godsend! I am the type that likes to use my hotel room as a "base" to go back to frequently throughout the day so location is very important to me. This location allowed me to go on shopping sprees, go back to the hotel to drop my purchases and get changed for lunch or dinner. Go back out to dinner in fresh clothes and really enjoy the beautiful city that is Lugano. Being able to get to the train station so easily to catch a bus to Monte Bre or other attractions is a major plus.

I found that contacting the hotel directly gave me the best value. My price for my room was very reasonable and included breakfast vouchers, a gift certificate to some good local restaurants. It also included wifi which I am pretty sure is free for all guests but I am not 100% certain.

About rooms...there are different standards and types. Choose what is best for you but when you read other reviews be aware of this. It is possible some of the negative reviews were posted by people who may have been booked in a room by outside companies or tours and they may have not had control over the type of room. I had the Superior with Balcony. It was air conditioned and had a mini-fridge. It was perfect for me in every way and I loved the view from the balcony.

The staff is excellent. They answered several of my questions prior to my arrival with much detail and politeness.
There is also a bar with casual eating options right outside the hotel door. It allows you to eat or drink outdoors but with full covering so if it rains you will be protected.

Room Tip: Pay close attention to the hotel's website about the different types of rooms. The site is very...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Santa Fe, NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Cosy, central location, albeit smack against a funicular operating til midnight. Beds were comfortable, shower was good and breakfast was excellent. Decent price in expensive Lugano where the scenery is breathtaking.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

This hotel is situated very close to the centre of Lugano and a short walk to the stunning lake, where the views are spectacular, however, the hotel is right next to the cable car that runs from the lower part of the city to the upper part, in fact it is so close that I could virtually touch it as it passed by the window of my room, it is extremely noisy and rumbly, running all day from 05:20 until 23:50, if you want a good nights sleep then this is not the hotel for that, all other aspect of the hotel are ideal for a stay, it's just that cable car that runs every 5 or so minutes.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I have to admit that I only stayed here because, although the hotel has now changed names, I once worked here when it was the Albergo Cristallo, for a whole summer back in 1980, as a waiter and barman. The hotel was a lot livelier then, serving both lunch and dinner, as well as drinks to guests on the terrace. That terrace has now gone, or rather it has been swallowed up by the snack-bar next door, and there are no plants or flowers outside the hotel, which is a great pity.
The hotel itself is clean and the staff friendly, the rooms spacious, very clean and fitted out in a light and airy contemporary style, with quality Swiss fittings throughout. I had a cheaper room overlooking the funicular, but the sound of the railway docking and undocking has never bothered me, but then I had a whole summer to get used to it!
The hotel is at the very centre of the whole town, barely a minute away from the main squares, shopping streets and then on to the lakeside.

Room Tip: Avoid cheaper ones overlooking the funicular if you want to keep the windows open or don't like...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Albergo Acquarello? Share your experiences!