“Perfect location. Great service. Clean room.” 4 of 5 stars

Albergo Acquarello
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Cioccaro 9, Lugano 6900, Switzerland   |
Ranked #33 of 41 Hotels in Lugano
Ormiston, Queensland, Australia
“Perfect location. Great service. Clean room.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Amazing location. We walked about 30 metres from the train and boarded the funicular railway down the hill. Then we walked about 10 metres to the door of the hotel!!!! We paid for an economy room but were given a regular room which is on the opposite side of the building from the funicular. We had our aircon going but could still here the funicular as a small low rumble for about 5 seconds every5-10 minutes. It really is not that bad and it did not wake us up or keep us from falling asleep. We chose this hotel for its proximity to the funicular- so we expected some noise. The room was clean and tidy. The aircon worked perfectly. Wifi cost us 2 Swiss Francs so was basically free. Excellent friendly staff. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try and choose one away from the funicular. Some rooms actually straddle the funicular as the rail l...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The last time I stayed in Lugano I regretted not being able to stay right in the center of town or close to the rail station. This time I chose this hotel for this reason and I was so glad I did!

It was pouring torrential rain the afternoon that I arrived and to be able to get on the Funicular at the train station and be dropped off right outside the hotel door was a Godsend! I am the type that likes to use my hotel room as a "base" to go back to frequently throughout the day so location is very important to me. This location allowed me to go on shopping sprees, go back to the hotel to drop my purchases and get changed for lunch or dinner. Go back out to dinner in fresh clothes and really enjoy the beautiful city that is Lugano. Being able to get to the train station so easily to catch a bus to Monte Bre or other attractions is a major plus.

I found that contacting the hotel directly gave me the best value. My price for my room was very reasonable and included breakfast vouchers, a gift certificate to some good local restaurants. It also included wifi which I am pretty sure is free for all guests but I am not 100% certain.

About rooms...there are different standards and types. Choose what is best for you but when you read other reviews be aware of this. It is possible some of the negative reviews were posted by people who may have been booked in a room by outside companies or tours and they may have not had control over the type of room. I had the Superior with Balcony. It was air conditioned and had a mini-fridge. It was perfect for me in every way and I loved the view from the balcony.

The staff is excellent. They answered several of my questions prior to my arrival with much detail and politeness.
There is also a bar with casual eating options right outside the hotel door. It allows you to eat or drink outdoors but with full covering so if it rains you will be protected.

Room Tip: Pay close attention to the hotel's website about the different types of rooms. The site is very...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Santa Fe, NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Cosy, central location, albeit smack against a funicular operating til midnight. Beds were comfortable, shower was good and breakfast was excellent. Decent price in expensive Lugano where the scenery is breathtaking.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

This hotel is situated very close to the centre of Lugano and a short walk to the stunning lake, where the views are spectacular, however, the hotel is right next to the cable car that runs from the lower part of the city to the upper part, in fact it is so close that I could virtually touch it as it passed by the window of my room, it is extremely noisy and rumbly, running all day from 05:20 until 23:50, if you want a good nights sleep then this is not the hotel for that, all other aspect of the hotel are ideal for a stay, it's just that cable car that runs every 5 or so minutes.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I have to admit that I only stayed here because, although the hotel has now changed names, I once worked here when it was the Albergo Cristallo, for a whole summer back in 1980, as a waiter and barman. The hotel was a lot livelier then, serving both lunch and dinner, as well as drinks to guests on the terrace. That terrace has now gone, or rather it has been swallowed up by the snack-bar next door, and there are no plants or flowers outside the hotel, which is a great pity.
The hotel itself is clean and the staff friendly, the rooms spacious, very clean and fitted out in a light and airy contemporary style, with quality Swiss fittings throughout. I had a cheaper room overlooking the funicular, but the sound of the railway docking and undocking has never bothered me, but then I had a whole summer to get used to it!
The hotel is at the very centre of the whole town, barely a minute away from the main squares, shopping streets and then on to the lakeside.

Room Tip: Avoid cheaper ones overlooking the funicular if you want to keep the windows open or don't like...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Suwon, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We made a reservation for rooms on road because it could take some more hours to the destination. This hotel is located very close to the lower stop of cable car to Lugano railway station, and I could find many of commuters are using this railway. So, somewhat noisy and you can feel some trembling when the car go up and down. The area is, I felt, very center of old city and I could have a walk through allies and in some minutes got to Lugano lake. There were many restaurents around that area, even serve breakfast. It was good to stay this hotel one night but should be aware of the Lugano citta-stazione funicular running from early in the morning to late night.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
KOS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

the position of this hotel is the its main advantage. on the foot of the funicular.
rooms facing the funicular are noisy but we knew that beofre coming, they were clean, the pillows however had a strange size, and except from the duvet there were no upper sheets. The bathroom was the smallest we had ever seen. that was in the room number 306.
The personal were friendly and nice with us. The breakfast was great.
we would use aquarello again but in a different type of room

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Albergo Acquarello? Share your experiences!