My wife and I decided to go to Lugano and the Ticino region for a week-end, to enjoy great weather and eat well.
So we booked this hotel, which had a perfect location, a few steps from Piazza Riforma and the lake. As we were going to arrive quite late, we called the reception to let them know, and we did well, as they close the reception and give you a passcode to open the entrance door. Your room is open, and the key can be found on the bed. I found this solution interesting and original.
The weather this week-end was very hot (37°C - 98.6°F), with night temperatures above 20°C (68°F). The room didn't have any A/C, so you can imagine how difficult it was to get some some sleep, even though we managed in the end.
The hotel is literally next to/above the cable car that takes you the central train station. As of 6am we will here the train leave and go. If your plan is to sleep until 11am, yes, it might disturb you. Otherwise, it's as good as any wake-up call ! If you want to get in shape, there's even a small fitness.
We chose to have a full breakfast for two, at a price of 15CHF each. Knowing the prices of a breakfast in another restaurant, I strongly suggest that you have breakfast at the hotel. You will find coffee, latte, cappuccino, tea etc. Croissants, bread, eggs, cereals, cheese, ham, salami and fruits.
In terms of service, the receptionist was very nice, asked us if we were able to enter without trouble the night of arrival. She asked us where we had parked, and offered the possibility to buy an exit ticket for our parking lot at a flat daily rate of 25CHF. In the end our parking stay was lower so we declined. This lady spoke Italian, English, Spanish and a bit of French and German.
Overall, it was a nice stay, with enough comfort for 2 nights, in the heart of Lugano. Would recommend it to young couples and people who just want to stay in a relaxed place and at a normal budget. We would come back next time we are there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Benvenuti all'Acquarello Il nostro albergo e situato nel centro citta, sulla zona pedonale, a pochi passi dal Lago di Lugano, nelle vicinanze del Palazzo dei Congressi, del Casino di Lugano, del Padiglione Conza (centro esposizioni) e della stazione FFS. Il nostro albergo a conduzione familiare e la sosta di chi certa un alloggio economico ed elegante. Hotel Acquarello (Ex Cristallo) e stato recentemente rinnovato ed ora puo offrire ai suoi clienti, nel quadro della rinomata ospitalita svizzera, tutto il confort che si meritano. Tutte le aree pubbliche e le camere sono NON FUMATORI e gli animali non sono ammessi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Albergo Acquarello reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergo Acquarello Lugano
- Albergo Acquarello Hotel Lugano