“Nice hotel, big rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Lugano
Germany
“Nice hotel, big rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

We spent a long week-end at Villa Sassa and overall enjoyed it very much.
Check in was very friendly and efficient.
We booked a standard-room but upon arrival were told thea we would be upgraded to a Royal Suite. Sounded good. What they call Royal Suite could also be called appartment. We had a badroom, livingroom, kitchen and bathroom. The room also had a terrace with sunchairs and a private garden right next to the pool. We really liked that. The room was not exclusively furnished. It seemed more like Ikea style, so nothing fancy but definately ok. The bathroom had a decent size, a tub and a shower, very high water-pressure.
The only think I have to complain about is the bed. It is indeed very hard and it was small for two tall people. So either you would wake up when your partner tried to turn around or because your back was aching. Did not sleep good and needed a bit of time every morning to get my bones back into place.
Breakfast was ok. Decent choice, everything fresh. They were just not good at preparing egg dishes like omlettes, scrambled eggs etc. We always had to look for the lady who was preparing the eggs, sometimes that took a while or she had some omlettes prepared already which were cold and looked not nice anymore. when asking her for a freshly made one then she seemed not amused.
The terrace where you can have breakfast overlooking the lake was beautiful, very enjoyable to sit there.
The hotel is about 10 min walking distance from the city center. We found the shortest way to get down was to take a number of stairs which was no problem for us but might be for others.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Bracknell, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

In 20 years of travel I confess that I have never come across harder beds than the ones in use at the Villa Sassa. It's as if they are made of granite. The mattresses offer no support at all, making sleep impossible if you have a sensitive back or are heavier than average. This alone made the 4 night experience very unpleasant. The air conditioning system looked antiquated and made noises during the night, which also didn't help matters. On the positive side the room itself was of decent size and clean , although the lack of carpeting meant that you could hear people from the upstairs floor moving chairs etc.
The hotel offered a variety of beauty and spa treatments for those interested in this sort of thing - not us.
The breakfast, which ended quite early at 10am, was the usual uninteresting continental fare of cold meats, cheese and omelettes made to order. No sausages or proper bacon to be seen. Fruit, yoghurt and cereals were also available for those who wanted them.
In the evening, you have a choice between the restaurant (outrageously expensive) and bar food (cheaper, but still overpriced). In the restaurant you can expect to spend £10-12 for a tiny starter of soup and £30 for a small portion of fish as a main course. Only the ice cream was correctly priced. You can spend much less by eating in Lugano itself. The bar menu was more reasonable, but a club sandwich and chips seemed very pricey at £19.
Customer service in the hotel was very disappointing. When I complained about the rock hard beds they did absolutely nothing to help - unacceptable for a 4* hotel.
Overall I would not recommend the hotel - it's also quite far from the centre of town, which is very inconvenient if you want to eat out in the evening. Just to add insult to injury it rained the whole time were in Lugano, and it was also cold; do not go here until at least May if you want decent weather.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank MLVReading
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

I absolutely loved this hotel. No sure why it only has four stars. Every single member of the staff is super friendly and professional, wanting to do anything for you. The room was beautiful and big, with a huge balcony overlooking the pool, mountains and a bit of the lake. The food was outstanding as well. Try the BBQ they have on the weekends in the summer, it was delicious, if one person get the fish bbq and the other gets the meat, you can share, as they give you plenty.
I went with a girlfriend for a girls' weekend, they have an incredible spa. I had a Quies massage with Sandro and it was amazing. You must get a massage if you go. The facilities are astounding. Serene and pristine. They really know what they are doing. The massage is extra but included in your stay is the use of, indoor heated pool, jacuzzi, turkish bath(steam room), sauna, showers of different varieties, fitness club, hope I am not leaving anything out as there was so much there. Full locker room, so if you check out of your hotel room at 12 or later, you can hang out and enjoy all the facilities for the whole day and then shower and change in the locker room when you are ready to leave. And the outdoor pool, well that is where we spent a great deal of our time. It is a beautiful pool that looks like it extends into mountains and lake. Fantastic view of lugano and the lake from your lounge chair, where you are served drinks. :)
Good location also. A quick walk, not even ten minutes to train station and then from there you take a two minute funiculare(cable car) ride into the city center, it only costs CHF1.10. So its perfect. And being a tad up on the hill gives you the best view of the whole city. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. I extended my stay and got a great price as well, CHF175 for my same room, for one person. Oh and even got room service for dinner one night, it was absolutely delicious, hot and lovely straight from the restaurant. I highly recommend this resort, I know I can't wait to go back. Oh and there were all different types there, singles, couples(it is quite romantic), families(they are great with kids), but definitely a very chill and relaxed place.

• Liked — Everything, the outdoor pool, and the spa
  • Disliked — cinnamon smell when walk in teh room, but goes right away
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Livwell
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Very nice spot in the higher part of the city (you need a car or public transportation to go downtown).

Hotel is super neat and rooms are very large. We got 2 rooms (144 which was a suite apt + 124 which was a superior) both with view on the montains, pool, garden and partially on the lake. Panorama is just great !

Common areas are also clear and neat. Deco may seem a bit kitchy in some areas but not to a point to rate it "bad taste".

Food is good (Italian/seafood) and can be enjoyed either at the main restaurant or at the more casual grill bar. Breakfast is just perfect especially if you enjoy it in the garden.

Guests were of all kinds (mostly families and couples of all ages) and origins (mostly Swiss, Italians, Russians and from the Gulf area), so no one can feel weird or unconfortable.

Nothing bad to say. Maybe staff looked a bit stiff at moments but overall polite and service oriented.

Good to know: this is an "aparthotel" so you can get rooms/suites with kitchen facilities (certainly helpful for families with kids)

Would certainly come back ...

• Liked — facilities in general
  • Disliked — stiff staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Connaisseur
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

Stayed at the Villa Sassa for one night and must say was most enjoyable. We checked in around noon and fortunately our room was ready. They gave us a superior double which was more than sufficient as it had a kitchen, separate bedroom and large TV room. The balcony provided great views.
The hotel properties were excellent - an impressive gym, wellness area and apparently a fine SPA (which I didn't get the chance to use). The outdoor pool was impressive and all the staff was professional. The buffet breakfast was more than adequate.
The only down side (so to speak) was the hotel decor which was a bit aged. Definitely well kept but had an old style to it. Didn't think much of the statues in the hallways either.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank sp_gala
UK/Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

I stayed at the Villa Sassa over a long weekend in May. I was looking for a nice place to chill out and have a relaxing weekend. I booked a "Junior/Lady suite" and so I was expecting a normal hotel room, perhaps with a couch. Instead I got this palatial, marble-strewn penthouse paradise with two balconies and a stunning view. I was so chilled you had to check me for a pulse.

The staff were friendly, even the ones who didn't speak English were very patient with my broken spanish and french and the two or three words I managed to pick up in Italian during my stay. The food was spectacular, the service impeccable and I cannot even get over the equipment in the gym; the machine gives you a smiley face every time you do a rep.

For me it was the perfect relaxing vacation, the one I was looking for. Villa Sassa far exceeded my expectations and I would go back again in a heartbeat and I can't stop telling my friends and family about both the beauty of Lugano and the amazing Villa Sassa where I stayed.

Thanks you Villa Sassa! You are worth every penny.

• Liked — Views, cleanliness, high-quality finishings, good service/privacy balance
  • Disliked — That I could not stay longer!
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Travelicia
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2007

I wanted to visit the Fox Town shopping outlets in Mendrisio, and wanted to stay in Lugano. I also wanted to have a spa weekend. The Villa Sassa met all my requests and more!

The room was standard, but the largest standard (especially for a single) I had ever had. I didnt care too much for the decor in the rooms (think pastel floridian style and wicker) but it was clean and plenty of space. I brought my dog and it was pet friendly. They even allowed me to extend my check out until 14.00 so I could leave him in the room while I did spa treatments.

The grounds were very beautiful and park like, and there is a lot to do: the fitness center is very large, offering all sorts of classes and a gym. The spa had a huge menu of services, which I tried 3 or 4. The massage given by Daniele was probably the best I have had. And, they got the atmosphere right: relaxation room with tea to start and end, candles, decent music. My only disappointment with the spa was the first treatment, there was some confusion about what it included, and in the end, they gave me a discount on what I got.

I can also highly recommend the restaurant. It was not the easiest hotel to find, so after I got to the hotel, I for sure didn-t feel like driving offsite to find a place to eat. I was not disappointed. As I was dining alone, they found an excellent half bottle of wine to complement my dinner. If I were to stay again I would consider half-board options.

I was a little skeptical as this hotel did not have any recent reviews. I can highly recommend it - especially if you are looking for a nice get away weekend as I was!!

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank Service_Sommelier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lugano
Villa Principe Leopoldo
Continental Parkhotel
Continental Parkhotel
#5 of 44 in Lugano
4.5 of 5 stars 507 reviews

Been to Villa Sassa Hotel, Residence & Spa? Share your experiences!