“review” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Calipso Hotel

You added Calipso Hotel to your Saves list
Calipso Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via delle Scuole 3 | Paradiso, Lugano 6900, Switzerland   |
Ranked #34 of 40 Hotels in Lugano
Lugano
“review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I liked the hotel a lot. It has a good location: 2-3 min to Lugano lake, 1 min to funiculare San Salvatore, 5 min to station. The personnel is charming.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Camarillo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We booked this hotel at the last minute for a 3-day weekend in Lugano, after realizing that Lugano hotels can be quite pricey for mediocre accomodations.

Its clear that the hotel could use some renovations, but for a basic stay, it was everything we needed, it was clean, and the staff was friendly and helpful.

Check-in:
A bit hectic, as we arrived at the same time as a herd of rude Swedish tourists. Although the staff may not have been as quick and efficient as possible, they surprised us with their multi-lingual skills and ability to keep calm under the pressure.

Room:
See my pictures. Pretty standard, maybe a bit dated, but charming. We're not too picky, and weren't expecting anything luxurious. Two twin beds pushed together into a full, a couple chairs, a TV we didn't turn on, a closet with hangers. Heater, but no A/C.

Bathroom:
Big and clean, bathtub with shower, seemingly new shower-curtain. Some complimentary shower gel and a bar of soap, so bring your own toiletries if you're picky. Clean towels.

Breakfast:
A pretty standard assortment of bread, jam, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, orange juice, milk, sliced cheese, cold cuts (salami, jambon cru), yogurt, granola, corn flakes. Nothing fancy, but more than sufficient to start your day.

Pools:
Decent looking but unfortunately not heated. After realizing both pools were cold, we decided to proceed to the sauna, which was unfortunately only about 40 degrees C (we may have missed the peak hours).

Parking:
Additional 15 CHF per day, and they give you a key for the gate (which is another 10 CHF deposit).

To Lugano:
About a 20 minute walk along the tree lined lakeshore promenade towards the old town. Super easy, flat, and a lovely view of the lake and town.

Room Tip: There's only one elevator, and it went out of service after our first night. If you're incl...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I was passing through Switzerland coming from Ancona, Italy by car and as it was late and I was already driving for many hours I was looking for a hotel in the Lugano area with secure parking to sleep and park my car.
Hotel Calipso is perfect in this aspect, as it is in a good location and easy to find and has both an open and a closed secure parking.
The rooms are badly decorated and have not been renovated in years, the cleanliness average and my room had a small old TV and overlooked the open car park.
I had no problems with hot water in the shower and the area is pretty quite so I had a peaceful sleep.
The price I paid included the room, secure closed parking and breakfast and I have to admit that what I paid was very reasonable for Switzerland.
Also, the breakfast was ok but not amazing.
Overall I highly recommend this hotel for people who are travelling by car through Switzerland and are only looking for a hotel for one night stay + secure parking, but not for those looking for a beautiful hotel for many nights of enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Wickenburg, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Well, okay, I’d only read the reviews after we’d booked the hotel room online – and I was also a bit worried like reviewers before me, there was so much negativity. My husband and I were going to stay just one night, Saturday to Sunday, as we were going to do the 30K Stralugano Run on the Sunday. My husband’s attitude with a shrug was, well, we just need a bed for the night … right …
This place was very, very reasonably priced compared to other city hotels in Lugano. I was happy as soon as we got to the place. Its location is also absolutely ideal. It’s right next to the Mount Salvatore cog wheel train; only a block from the lake shore, and less than a mile from the old town center where all the action is, so you can walk from there, but should you feel disinclined to do so, the bus stop is right round the corner, a minute’s walk, from the hotel entrance. There are also restaurants and snack bars within five minutes on foot, as are two supermarkets.
Our room was pretty small indeed, but in an average hotel in Europe you should never expect the sort of space you get even at a motel back home in the US anyway. The furniture was old – but so what – and the walls had recently been painted. The bathroom also looked fairly new. You can tell it’s an older building, but everything in the room was immaculately clean – and yes, check in was swift and efficient by a lady who spoke three or four languages as heard. We also had a small balcony with a table and two chairs from which you could see the lake, between buildings, as well as the hills all around.
Once we went to bed after 10, the streets outside were quiet – apart form the occasional voice or car, but hey, when you’re staying in a city … what was highly unpleasant, but hardly the hotel’s mistake, was a gang of late-night revelers – Italian speaking – coming back at the dead of night – ready to wake the dead, as it were, as they seemed engaged in the Door Slamming Olympics – with all the hot favorites on our floor – and simultaneously in the “Who Can Shout and Laugh the Loudest in the Hallways” World Championship.
Breakfast, starting at 7, was a nice buffet with cereal, fruit salad, cold cuts and cheese beside the different types of bread and toast, a choice of different sorts of tea – my husband did pronounce the coffee bad though.
When we left we were allowed to leave our bags in a room downstairs till after the race, and we were also able to rent – for CHF 1!!! – a safe deposit box for our valuables. All the staff we had encountered during our stay had been friendly, helpful and polite. We would definitely stay there again, maybe not for a one or two week vacation, but definitely for, say, up to three nights.

Room Tip: we had room 601 - out on the front and with a balcony, seems only the front side have balconies
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011 via mobile

most terrible hotel I have been in my life...
I will not suggest this to anyone..

• Stayed September 2011
Athens, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

I stayed with my husband in a double room.
The room had an amazing view to the lake (6th floor), the bathroom was new decorated and clean, but the towels were dirty, there was no heated water, the door glass in the room was broken, the sheets had little holes from cigarettes and there was a bad smell like mud in the atmosfere. Also the rooms haven't aircondition, the breakfast is quite ok, the 2 pools ok, especially the pool in the guarden surrounded with trees and bushes!
Good location to the lake, the bus station, and there is a telleferic riht next to the hotel!
High prices, deffinetly not a three star hotel!
That's all, I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I was worried about what I'd find after reading reviews. I had booked this hotel even after some bad reviews b/c it's a good location and had the best price. I did stay in the "Park" (hotel is essentially 2 hotels merged into one) so my review is only of this section.

The building is older but the room was clean and the bathroom was redone. There was no A/C and no fan so if it's a hot time of year, this might be a problem for you. The bed wasn't great but not bad, noise factor OK. There was a balcony which overlooked construction (construction all over Lugano right now). Staff were friendly and helpful, buffet breakfast pretty good. The hotel is in Paradiso which is great b/c the short, scenic walk to the main center is NOT hilly, as you would get if you stay anywhere near the train station.

Lugano is expensive and if I returned, I would consider this hotel as a great option.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Calipso Hotel? Share your experiences!