“Great location, intriguing design” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Gabbani
Piazza Cioccaro 1, Lugano 6900, Switzerland   |
Ranked #3 of 26 Lugano B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Great location, intriguing design”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

A funky hotel (a little difficult to find - its above a delightful delicatessen of the same name), with nice service with small but functional rooms. The hotel itself is interestingly designed, with themed rooms. Bathroom was large and excellent. Breakfast and service typically efficient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at Gabbani for 2 nights and the experience was excellent. The hotel has a chic design, its very clean. I have luckily got an upgrade in my room! The location is very convenient and it is just a few foot steps to the tram station which connects to the rail station. There is free wifi connection in the room. Public parking (paid) is also very close and convenient. Staff were friendly and helpful. Will stay here again if I go to Lugano again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I arrived in the late afternoon on a Sunday after taking the Wilhelm Tell Express tour from Luzern to Lugano. Unfortunately, many things are closed on Sundays, something I did not foresee when booking my trip. As a result, it was a bit tricky trying to find a way into the hotel. I spent about 10-15 minutes trying to find a way into the hotel (all of the lights were turned off in each of the Gabbani stores), so a bit of panic set in. Then I noticed there was an intercom/door bell at the entrance to the hotel, so I rang it and sure enough it opened. I had to lug my heavy suitcase up the stairs to the lobby, but honestly, this wasn’t too bad (there’s an elevator you can use in the adjacent store when it is open).

I had expected to arrive earlier based on the times given on the Wilhelm Tell tour, but I was a few hours late. Thankfully the receptionist (Lisa, I believe), stayed behind and waited for me to arrive - she was very nice and very accommodating (as were the other members of the staff throughout my stay). I stayed in the room named “Pane” (or “Bread” in English) - very nice and super clean! Cool touch-sensitive light switches too :) It was actually an upgrade (I had originally booked a single room for 3 nights and a deluxe room for the 4th night since I was unable to get a single room for 4 nights; so they upgraded me to a deluxe room at the same rate as a single!) The room overlooked the interior of the café below, and natural light came in from the skylight/atrium above. The place was very well decorated and very clean.

In the mornings, the included breakfast was great! Croissants, fresh breads, yogurts, fruits, pastries, cappucino/americano/etc...

I really have nothing bad to say about this place. It was probably the best place I stayed at during my vacation to Switzerland! I stayed for 4 nights, and on my final night (a Wednesday) there was a gathering in the café/wine-bar below where people came to socialize and sample the food and wine. I later found out that this is a regular Wednesday social gathering - Cool! I was in my room for most of it since I had to leave early the next morning, but I liked the buzz of the crowd below. It only lasted until about 10pm, so it didn’t interfere with sleep. It is very quiet in this hotel, I should add.

There are some good restaurants around Lugano, but if you are in a rush, Gabbani has a Salumeria next door where you can get some good takeaway. Highly recommended! The hotel is central to everything in Lugano and within a 5 minute walk to the waterfront.

Also, if you need to go up to the train station, there is a funicular just outside the hotel entrance that takes you right up to the station (and vice versa). I did not know that when I arrived and took a taxi instead. If you walk from the train station with all of your bags, be prepared to walk down some steep inclines...I wouldn’t recommend arriving this way, especially if you have more than one bag or if any of your bags are heavy...

I think the only negative thing was that in order to get full signal strength on the wifi, I had to go as close to the interior window as possible. The further I moved away from the window, the wifi lost signal strength. But this really wasn’t a major problem. It was most likely due to the fact that I was on the 3rd floor while the wifi router was probably on the 1st. Again, not a huge issue. I was able to access the wifi at full strength over breakfast.

Overall, a very enjoyable experience! I would definitely book another stay here if I am ever in Lugano again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Neuchatel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Very modern and trendy decor that is ultra comfortable... the bed was large for Switzerland and the bathroom sumptuous. Rooms have names (not numbers) and a color scheme to match the theme. Staff was very nice - location could not be better. Good breakfast - would definately stay again...

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room (window goes to an inner court yard) for absolute quiet, go for an outside ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dixon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This hotel has an ideal location for exploring Lugano. It is surrounded by very chic stores and is very close to the main piazza, Piazza de la Reforma. We enjoyed the local civic philharmonic do a wonderful performance during our stay in this piazza. One of the pieces included the music from 007. It was incredible!

Only cautionary notes on the Gabbani were the beds and pillows. Both my husband and I had difficulty sleeping. The mattress was very firm and the pillows were very soft. Tough combo for us. You also have to get used to going through the restaurant, not a real hotel lobby.

The bathroom was amazing though. A shower with three different heads and space to really move.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

An amazing hotel smack in the centre with clean, modern rooms and large bathrooms. The hotel offers small shops within and around the hotel that sells top quality cheese, cold cuts, wine and snacks. The breakfast is fresh and very nice. Very attentive staff that help you or advise you if need be.
Highly recommended and will definitely come again.

• Stayed August 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We were happy to have chosen hotel Gabbani for our only night in Lugano. It is right in the middle of the city in the pedestrian area, two minutes from the lake. The hotel rooms are decorated according to food themes - we stayed in the chocolate room which is all dark brown and white. The room is very tastefully furnished and the bathroom is big and very modern. Everything was very clean and we felt comfortable.
Breakfast is served in a lovely area at the ground floor which is also a bar and a gastronomy shop. Recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Gabbani? Share your experiences!