“great hotel in Lugano” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Munich, Germany
“great hotel in Lugano”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We enjoyed staying in this Novotel which has a great, quiet location in Lugano. The hotel throughout is very modern and tastefully decorated. We found the room to be very comfortable with everything that one requires, however we were there for pleasure rather than business. We did not eat breakfast in the hotel as it is expensive, there is a great cafe across the road which is much better value for money. My only complaint is that they charge 30 SF per night for a small dog which I found to be excessive. I

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Excellent hotel with a good service. Modern, comfortable, clean. Difficult to say anything negative except the price, which, even in these apparent high season times is much too high...I would even say prohibitive...for a hotel of this category.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This is a nice hotel. Nice modern design, but soulless in my opinion. Loved the bath though! I was staying on the 4th floor if I remember correctly. There were noises (I cannot figure out what they were; wind, nearby construction?), for about 15 minutes every hour between 12am and 6am. Extremely loud, and I could see my bed and walls shaking. So no sleep for me.

Easy to get to from the city centre, 15 minutes delightful walk by the lake. I found myself walking in circles around the area, looking for a nice restaurant for dinner to no avail. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, or maybe because it was February and freezing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Corfu, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Generaly was a good stay in the hotel with couple of tips which i would like to mention.
1.When we arrived arround midnight we were asked for a prepayment of 200 CF in case that we use the minibars .When we ask for paing cash they said that cannot accept this.
2.Before we go i send in the hotel an email to give us informations about parking ,prices...
They never reply.
3.Breakfast good but ............coffees inacceptable
4.When we check out room we had to pay an amount of 64 CF for the use of hotel's parking and some drinks.We ask for prices in Euros (51.2)
I gave them a 50 euro banknote and a coin of two.They said that cannot accept coins, only bank note.When i gave them another 50 they said that the ballance will be in CF.
All in all we had to use credit card again. This is not hotel's fault because is happen everywhere and also there is not a standard exchange rate between Euro and CF.
So... without a Credit card in SW your life is very difficult.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Booked for me by a customer. Conveniently placed for a pleasant lakeside walk and the Palazzo Mantegazza. Efficient at check-in.
I had a superior room on the top (7th) floor. No balcony but a pleasant view. I liked the room which had a firmish bed and a sophisticated Philips ambilight tv as well as a range of sockets next to the desk to allow connections to the audio/video system e.g. HDMI. But the internet signal wasn't good, even using the ethernet cable. I did better when I unplugged and went wifi elsewhere in the room. The "now you see me, now you don't" button on the shower/bath wall is a fun touch - or it would be if I hadn't been on my own.
Breakfast was standard. I approved of the nice large glasses for OJ. It was unclear from one day to the next (four night stay) how to get coffee at breakfast. Once requested it sometimes would appear in my cup, sometimes a flask would arrive and on one morning I feared I would go without until it arrived just before I'd finished.
The pool is still dry though it looked as if preparations are being made to fill it. I avoided the bar area and didn't use the outdoor seating area as it looked unwelcoming to me.
Overall the open, spacious marble lobby area says it all. It is new, clean and of a predictably comfortable but impersonal character.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a good hotel choice if you are looking for clean, basic, affordable accommodations in Lugano. The hotel is relatively new so it has all the modern amenities. The room was rather small, but they have the glass bathroom walls which try to give the impression the room is larger (you can hit a switch to fog the bathroom wall for privacy).

If you are traveling on business, this is a great option, but if you are on vacation, I would recommend one of the classic Lugano hotels instead...it would be worth the extra money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kusel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The hotel was very easy to navigate to, but no parking in front for check-in. The hotel is in a nice
area with many other hotels around. Also, many places to eat as well. Your about 5 minutes from the lake and it's beautiful. If you have some time, you should take a stroll around the area. Great with kids, the pool wasn't open when we went but the patio area looked nice. We would stay again if we're ever in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family