“Charming hotel set in captivating scenery” 5 of 5 stars

You added Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Viale Castagnola 31, Lugano 6906, Switzerland   |
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Lugano
“Charming hotel set in captivating scenery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We have returned to this stunning hotel time and time again. Whether relaxing on comfortable sun beds, set within the beautiful gardens, or dinning on the terrace overlooking the lake, the view across the lake is stunning. The hotel, once owned by a Russian aristocrat, is lavishly styled with chic furnishings and beautiful flower arrangements to compliment many of the reception areas.
The decor is extended to the sumptuous bedrooms, which all overlook lake Lugano. If you think Switzerland is just for skiing, think again. Lugano , situated on the border of Italy, bakes in an almost Mediterranean sun from June onwards. Staff welcome you with typical Italian warmness, and the hotel is run with Swiss efficiency. This is a jewel of a hotel.

Room Tip: All standards good. Recommend the junior suites
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Gianora, Direttore at Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Jacquelin,
Thank you very much for your very positive comment. With pleasure we read that you had the chance to fully enjoy the style of our hotel and the surrounding region. As you said, Lugano is a Swiss city but with Italian flair, the region and the hotel offer a special atmosphere and we like to spoil our guest and make them live a unique stay.
We would love to welcome you back soon,

Deputy Manager Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Genève
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We enjoyed a nice junior suite with a very nice balcony with a beautiful view. The hotel is very nice, very friendly staff. The bartender would even make customized cocktails. The room was very nice, fresh fruit basket upon arrival. The only problem with the room was the two single beds instead of the double bed. But otherwise can't complain, the room was clean, nice amenities. We enjoyed the private lido (on the lake), where towels, fresh water and apples are served. The only problem was that at 3 pm, I wanted to have a bottle water, there was not a single one left. But the view is very nice, there are showers, clean toilets. It is very well maintained. We had lunch at the terrace surrounded by banana trees and palm trees, the food is quite nice. The breakfast is very nice, we enjoyed a lot the terrace. Both restaurants Le Relais and the Arte were perfect. Very friendly staff, very nice dishes. We will surely come back.

Dear Guest,

we thank you for your lovely comment! We are pleased to read that you could enjoy many of the facilities of the hotel and also our gastronomic offer. We will certainly forward all comments to the respective staff members as well as we will take note of your remark regarding the lack of bottles of water at our private Lido on the lake. Thank you again for expressing your thoughts.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

12/4/2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a beautiful executive suite with a romantic balcony overlooking lush gardens and the lake beyond. We felt so very comfortable relaxing in many of the common areas of the hotel, which are large and beautifully appointed. I loved the fresh fruit, which was ever-present in overflowing dishes, and I couldn't resist helping myself to some of the beautiful and delicious grapes, peaches, apricots, etc. on numerous occasions.

The one person who enhanced our experience the most was the tuxedo-clad, personality plus piano player who serenaded nonstop, starting at 7:30, with romantic and joyful tunes. Thankfully, his notes reached up to us while we were enjoying the romantic view from our balcony.

We also enjoyed the area across the street that the hotel provided for enjoying the lake.
However, we were disappointed that we heard traffic noise from the road when we were on the balcony or left our patio doors open.

There was one significant downside to the hotel, and it was our internet connection to our Apple ipads and iphones. It was extremely frustrating because we constantly had to reboot our devices to get them reconnected to WiFi. Once connected our mobile devices ran like the "old dial-up service". The front desk fell short in offering an acceptable explanation or a fix. We expect that insufficient initiative was taken on their part to resolve the "big picture" problem. Prior to coming to this hotel we stayed in six other Swiss hotels, and we never encountered internet connection problems. For a hotel that caters to an upscale leisure or business traveler, this is a serious and unacceptable problem for Apple product users.

Also, my husband and I have been in the travel industry for over 20 years and have experienced superb concierge service at many fine hotels and resorts around the world. However, at Villa Castagnola, there did not seem to be a dedicated concierge person. Therefore, we had to ask for help at the reception desk, where we received brief and incomplete and rushed explanations.

We would have loved to give this hotel 5 stars, but to be honest we could not do it with the shortcomings outlined above. Hopefully, they can fix their Apple internet problems and improve their concierge service.

Dear Guest,

many thanks for your comments. We are very pleased to read that you liked the style and the ambience of our Villa Castagnola and we are happy to know that our pianist enriched the pleasure of your stay.
We are sorry to read that you were disturbed by the traffic noise. Being a city hotel we already have a quite privileged position inside our subtropical park, but being located a few minutes from the city center, a little traffic has to be taken into consideration. We also thank you for your comment regarding the WiFi problem, which we will surely be forwarded to the responsible team member. We are sorry to read that you did not have one of our concierge staff always at your disposal, when needed. We do have a dedicated concierge team at our guests’ disposal and we are not sure what happened during yours stay. We will make sure that this does not happen again in the future.
Nevertheless we are glad that you enjoyed our private terrace at the lake and the unique view that we have from our balconies!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Kilauea, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We only spent one night at this lovely hotel as we were on route to the Bernina Express from Tirano. I regret we didn't stay longer. This is a very well appointed hotel in a park with views to the lake - very quiet with the sound of birds and little traffic noise. Since my wife likes to have the windows open this was essential. I also enjoyed the indoor pool, which has open panels to the park. Great for my daily laps. The hotel also maintains a private venue on the lake where you can recline or swim. Towels and water are provided. There is a Spa with turkish bath, which my wife loved, and even ping pong! The hotel has a couple of restaurants. Breakfast is included. We also took half-board and the cuisine was excellent. There are easy boat tours on the lake as well. Can't wait to come back and explore further.

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your beautiful comment about our Villa Castagnola. We are pleased to read that you fully enjoyed many amenities of our hotel as well as the culinary offer of our restaurants.
We love to make our guests feel at home and make them live a relaxing and regenerating stay.
Our team will be happy to welcome you back for your next stay.

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

From the minute I contacted them about a large meeting for the week to the time I arrived in person I was treated with the excellent service that any 5 star hotel should provide. The entire staff goes above and beyond to make sure that your every need is taken care of. The sleeping rooms are immaculate and they are so clean! Being from America we think we know what a 5 star hotel is but NO WAY. Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola exceeded our expectations. Christina from the sales team is the best at what she does. She made sure that our event was perfect and that anything we wanted we got. Mario from the front desk went above an beyond for me in regards to anything I asked him for. He treated us like we were queens. My bosses luggage was lost and it was a Sunday and she needed some items. He assisted us with the help of Davide and took us to the store. I also need an item from the pharmacy which he promptly had delivered to the hotel for me. The restaurant and the food are both immaculate and absolutely delicious. The breakfast which is included in the room rate is wonderful with lots of choices and homemade jellies. YUMMY! Again this is a 5 star hotel that lives up to that. The location is perfect! Away from the hustle bustle of the city center located on beautifully landscaped grounds but close enough to walk to town or to take the local bus. Barbara at the front desk also went above an beyond each time we needed something. The spa and turkish bath area is also amazing. You book your time and have the whole spa to yourself! This hotel is for those people who want to be treated like family, enjoy wonderful food, be served by some of the finest staff I have ever dealt with and be treated as you should. I will be coming back to this hotel as well as many of my colleagues for both business and pleasure.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Gianora, Direttore at Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Keri,

We thank you very much for your wonderful comment after your stay in our property. We all were really pleased to read that you most enjoyed your time at Villa Castagnola and that everything went perfectly for you and your valued guests. We couldn’t be happier to receive such positive feed backs.
We are also pleased to read that you fully appreciated the atmosphere in our Villa, the staff’s courtesy as well as the culinary offer. We love to pay attention to every detail and try to satisfy every wish of our guests, in order to make everyone feel like at their own home.
We will certainly share your beautiful comments with the entire staff!

We are very looking forward to welcoming you back soon for another magnificent stay.

Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Incredible venue, fantastic atmosphere, in a gorgeous park, right on the lake.
I had many meetings in typical impersonal hotels, this is totally different, and what a great improvement!
We did a week of business meetings in the various antique conference rooms, full of history and antique objects. The genral meeting was in the larger conference room, between palms and antique art objects, them we split up in working groups,and had great rooms and coffe breaks. Meeting groups of 0 were great, and very conducing for business. Delicious food, with impecable service.
the weekend I took advantage and had my family joining in, we enjoyed the hotel, the spa and the excellent location, so close to great day excurisons. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: all rooms are diffent, pick you own!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Gianora, Direttore at Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your very positive comment. We are pleased to hear that you fully enjoyed your business stay in our hotel.
We are also happy to read that you could take advantage of our SPA and enjoyed the surroundings of Villa Castagnola with your family.
We will certainly share your notes among the management and the whole staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon in the Villa for a business trip or for your next holiday in Ticino!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I have been staying at this hotel since before having kids. It hasn't changed all that much; still gorgeous, tranquil, and immaculate. It is one of the rare examples of a fine, classic hotel that pays respect to the past, a renovated noble estate, without coming across as dated.

It's a grand hotel in the classic sense. Glistening crystal, attentive staff, immaculately shined surfaces, plush carpeting, in its own little compound which happens to boast a stunning view of Lake Lugano. The owners love to design, there are many lovely antiques interspersed throughout the property. Each room is different, but all are elegantly appointed.

I've always gotten a room with a balcony and lake view...the only way to go IMO. On our last visit, we had a little miscommunication of what exactly constituted a "lake view". In the rooms we were shown, they "faced the lake", but trees were in the way so the view was not visible. I repeat, after over a decade of visits, this is the only time this happened. Now that we travel with the kids, we need to book two rooms and that really gets up there in price. I was honest about my disappointment, and, without going into too much detail, let's just say management made amends by giving us a mind blowing upgrade. Still....I want to just be clear what I'm getting when I book, and this is something I will consider on my next visit.

But that was just a blip. The attention to detail at Castagnola is staggering. They remember what you like. You know how you have to give your passport at check-in? Well apparently they made a note of my husband's birthday, because on that day we received an assortment of goodies and a written greeting from the owner!

Location is a bit away from the main strip of Lugano. There is a convenient bus if you don't want to do the lovely 10 min walk by the lake. One of my favorite activities is going running *away* from town, you can jog on the foot paths to the precipitously place town of Gandria. Through the rocks and mountain. Directly across from the hotel you can get gelato, or rent different kind of boats. We rented a motor boat for the kids' thrill. For my own thrill....With the assistance of a pedal boat, (for safety, it's a busy waterway) I was able to swim right over to the Italian border! (this is abnormal...it's a swim of several hours, but I"m just saying...if you like outdoor stuff, LUGANO IS GREAT).

Kids love Monte Tamaro, about 15 min drive away. It's a mountain with a few activities and ziplining. We've also stayed at Villa castagnola, gone skiing at San Bernardino in the morning, and lounged outside by the pool later in the day. You can also ride the funicular up Mt Bre , located directed behind the hotel. which is a lovely hike and there is a restaurant on top of it.

The food is great in their dining rooms, and breakfast is included in the room fee. Don't miss it..champagne and fine cheeses , eggs, and meat. We did not have high hopes when we asked if they had anything gluten free, but they served us baskets of warmed GF buns.

Sadly, some might find the hotel boring. There is very little "whhooHOOO" type of nightlife, just fine wines and great company.Villa Castagnola has been a part of our lives since early in our marriage. We will continue to visit as a special treat whenever we can.

Room Tip: Make sure you face the lake, and can SEE the lake.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gianora, Direttore vendite at Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your very positive and detailed comment. We will certainly share your notes among the management and the staff.

It is correct; one of our main values is to offer a very personalized service, each room is differently furnished and much attention is given to all single details. We love to make our guests feel at home and at their ease. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the stay with your family at the Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola and that you took advantage of all exciting outdoor activities offered from our region.

As you well describe in your comment, the region of Ticino offers a wide range of activities, it is certainly a paradise for nature and outdoor activities. Our concierge will be happy to suggest you new activities for your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Letizia Gianora
Sales&Marketing Manager

Been to Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola? Share your experiences!