“Walking distance between train station and downtown” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Federale

You added Hotel Federale to your Saves list
Hotel Federale
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   via Paolo Regazzoni 8, Lugano 6900, Switzerland (Formerly Minotel)   |
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Lugano
Zug, Switzerland
“Walking distance between train station and downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location, no need for transport, walking distance from train station even with luggage, and downtown/old town but still quiet.
Very courteous service staff.
Good value for money.
We booked a family room for us and our two kids and got two communicating rooms with a large private balcony. Ideal set-up!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Holger,
Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking time to write about your stay at our Hotel.
Just to be fair to other Tripadvisor readers: we have only one room as you described. When booking a family room it can be either the one you describe, or a large four-bedded room on the high floors. We cannot always guarantee the room you stayed in.
Again, grazie mille for having stayed with us and
Cordiali saluti
Roland Galliker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Garrettsville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I had chosen this hotel because I felt it was the best value. Unfortunately I had to cut my trip short and cancel at the last minute. Ii spoke to hotels.com when I reserved earlier this month and again at midnight early morning of the date of reservation and the first reservation agent on both occasions assured me that I would not have to pay a cancellation fee even if I did not show up the day of the reservation because the room charge was not collected until after I arrived at the hotel " pay later" is how they referred to it. Then, after being reassured 2 to 3 times that was the case on the morning of the reservation I booked another non refundable hotel with the same booking agent which was closer to my end destination and made sure again there was no penalty for canceling in Lugano. Be very careful, because that was not the case at all! In the very same phone call, just minutes later another hotels.com agent told me I had to pay for both rooms and it was not hotels.com's responsibility to correct this what was almost a very costly error to me. By noon the same day I was able to send an email and hear back from hotel Federale lugano's manager. He was the most understanding, fair person I have met as late. I told him he had restored my faith in mankind. After reviewing my email he forgave me the one night room late cancelation cost of the room, gave me excellent and very wise advice on how to book rooms, and even said he hoped i would consider staying at the hotel federale lugano if I ever got back to switzerland. He and his staff were all very kind, understanding, helpful individuals and I am certain a stay at his hotel would be refreshingly pleasant.

Room Tip: Be very careful when booking thru an online sight because even if they make a mistake it could be at...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gayle G
Thank you for your comments, I really did not expect such a nice letter.
Whenever possible we try to accomodate guests needs and we understand that sometimes it is not the guests fault if reservation errors happen.
When possible we help, especially if guests book or talk directly to the hotel and not through an interemediary (althogh they usually do a good job).
With kindests regards
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and two daughters stayed for Mothers Day. We highly recommend this hotel. The location is very close to train station (just down a steep hill). It is not high tech but is wondeful (yes, has working WIFI for 5 franc). In the lounge, my daughter and I could relax and play a game and talk while served, in the restaurant, we all laughed but were served well. The owners walked around each night to greet each table and talk about the day. Relaxing and enjoyable with great rooms and a caring staff. Old World in today's world. A very nice retreat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear DPatterson Family,
Thank you very much for having stayed with us on Mothers Day and thank you for having taken the time to write a review.
As a small family hotel we try to combine the old family style hotel with todays comfort and expectation. We are pleased to hear that we were able to meet your expectation.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to Lugano, and remain,
Yours sincerely
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Federale. Arriving by train, it was so easy to find and walk to. We typically stay in rental apartments, but for a long weekend we went with a hotel and our pick could not have been better. The room for the four of us was very spacious and the beds very comfortable. A balcony looked out over the lake and Monte Bre. Everything was very clean and the towels and bedding were of good quality. It was easy to walk down into the Old Town and to the lake, but the funicular is right at the train station if you want to use that. The hotel also had a nice lounge within which you could sit and relax, play a game, etc. The breakfast was adequate to get the day started, but would have liked more substance on a Sunday morning. The onsite restaurant was wonderful!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Imkaced,
Thank you very much for having stayed at our hotel in Lugano and for taking the time to writing a review.
Thank you also for your positive comments and I will think on how to improve breafast on Sunday mornings, when guests have more time.
We hope we will be able to welcoming you back to Lugano some day.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Excellent location, excellent service. Beautiful views of the Lugano lake. Just a few minutes from Luganos's central train statuon and from Lugano's downtown. The staff is very friendly as well, and the rooms are very comfortable. Absolutely beautiful!

• Stayed March 2013
RGalliker, Owner at Hotel Federale, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Marcelo B.
Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to write about about hotel.
We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in Lugano, and we would be delightet to welcoming you back if you visit our lake region again in the future.
Thank you again.
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I spent two nights in the Hotel Federale, together with my 3 children and their mom. We arrived a bit late in the night still we were welcome. We got 2 communicating rooms which were perfect for our stay. One of the rooms had access to an unbelievably huge terrace, where our children had lots of fun. Furniture was a bit oldish but beds were comfortable and bathrooms fairly new. Breakfast is standard. Indoor parking. Good location.
Very good value for a 3-stars hotel with reasonable prices.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RGalliker, Owner at Hotel Federale, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Coucho: thank you very for staying at our hotel and for taking the time to write a comment on your stay.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our family room on the 1st floor with the large terrace. About the "oldish" furniture: yes, we know. Some years ago my parents did change the furniture of the south wing of the hotel and "unfortunately" that furniture is of a very good quality and it does not break. As you noticed though, the bathroom did ungerdo a renewment and the furniture will soon undergo the same fate.
If you will come back to Lugano we would be happy to be of service to you again.
With kindests regards
Roland Galliler
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Arriving from Milan by bus it is a very short walk from the station to the hotel. The check in was fast and uncomplicated. My room was nice with a partial view of Monte Bré. On the cushion there was a small sweet and a bottle of sparkling mineral water was complimentary. A nice touch! There were amenities but unfortunately no shampoo. The wireless connection worked perfectly.
The breakfast was very enjoyable with good brown bread and Swiss cheese. The staff was very attentive and kind. As my train left only in the evening after check out I could deposit the suitcase in the hotel and collect it when necessary. As promised somebody was there when I picked it up and even helped me with a short lift to the station. An overall good hotel which I can highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
RGalliker, Owner at Hotel Federale, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Kybtur,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a comment on Tripadvisor and thank you for having visited Lugano and our hotel during the quite season in this part of Switzerland.
I have noted your comments about the shampoo and will correct it.
Again thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you maybe back to Lugano, the italian side of Switzerland.
With kindests regards. Roland Galliker

Been to Hotel Federale? Share your experiences!