“Amazing Lugano” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 42 hotels in Lugano
wales
“Amazing Lugano”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We were on a motorcycle tour of Europe and found ourselves in Northern Itlay. After looking for somewhere to stay we found the Holiday Inn in Lugano was very competative as most hotels seemed pricey to us. We arrived soaking wet from our ride and were greeted with the most friendly staff we had found thus far. We were booked in to one of the freshley refurbished rooms on the sixth floor and given all the help we could ask for with parking etc. We loved the hotel so much we stayed an extra day and this was due to the staff and of course the amazing views of the town itself. As in most areas of Switzerland everything was expensive, even fast food like Mc Donalds but the are is gorgeous. Hotel is clean, modern and well run and very well priced, you can be sure we would stay again

Room Tip: ask for one the top floor refurbished rooms
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Lugano Centre due to the fact the other hotels were booked and chose it as a last option ( as I am not a fan of the Holiday Inn hotel chain). However, I have to say we were pleasantly surprised. Check in was very efficient and we found the front desk clerk to be very professional and pleasant. We found the interior of the hotel to be modern and pleasing to the eye, and much nicer than the pictures posted online.

Our hotel room was very nicely decorated and modern and was fresh and clean. The only draw back was there is no free internet in the hotel although it is offered at other hotels and attractions in the area. 24 hours of internet was $19.00 and there is no wireless. The hotel restaurant offered a decent menu with good service.

The ftness area of the hotel is extremely lacking as there are only cardio machines and a small rack of dumbells. There is a small pool in the hotel and sauna.

The location is only a block or so from the lake and within a nice walk to several restaurants. One word of warning, if you need a taxi, plan accordingly as we called for a taxi on the morning of check out which took several minutes to arrive and we nearly missed our train.

Overall, we were pleased with our stay and would return if ever in Lugano again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I don't know where all the complaining folks stayed but we had a great time. The staff was ALL very nice and helpful, the buffet breakfast was fine, the bartender had a great personality and the french fries with cold beer sitting out on the patio made for a great evening. Yes, the hotel is being remodeled and the first two floors are a disaster, but they don't book you there! The room we stayed in was nice sized and comfortable, the bathroom was large a clean. I don't think any of the rooms would have a view to speak of, but you are only two blocks from the lake walk and the hotel is not on a busy street so it's quiet. They have an indoor pool and spa, and covered below ground parking. The staff suggested places to walk and places to visit (do NOT miss the cable car to the mountain top - what a view!!). This is a wonderful place to visit and the hotel is an excellent value in my opinion.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
HolidayInnLug6902, Direttore vendite at Holiday Inn Lugano Centre, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear Sirs,
I would like to thank you for your kindess and for the beautiful words spoken about our hotel and our Staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon in our renovated hotel!!!
All our best wishes
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

We recently a last minute overnight stop in Lugano and had to find a hotel for the night. It was already 8pm so I called the Holiday Inn because I did not have more time to research. They charged us $300 for a double room. When we arrived at the hotel we were shocked to see how dated and in poor condition it was. When we asked where we could park, they directed us to an underground parking garage for an extra $20 per night. We also asked what was included in the rate and were told basically nothing. There was no breakfast included or wireless Internet. In fact, the hotel did not even have wireless available in the rooms. The rooms were dirty, dated and in badly needed of repair. Overall, the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

Stayed April 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lugano Centre, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Muffy77,

Thank you for your recent stay, and providing feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received accommodations that were unacceptable. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

A familiar name I usually trust for good service at a reasonable price.I stayed there last week but sadly under refurbishment,the rooms were clean and tidy however the carpets in the corridors were worn out.As a member of their Priority Club my room was upgraded on check in,I stayed for one night and was disappointed to find the attached bar and restaurant closed down by 8pm and the surrounding areas deserted and lifeless.The night manager told me to try the lakefront but few places were open other than Pizza,pizza and more pizza.I waited till breakfast and although plentiful self service, tea and coffee was served by a gentlemen who had zero interest in what he was doing and could not utter a single word or even smile.Sadly disappointing I think for the time of year, the poor service overall and the cost for a room I would not return.

Room Tip: As it is built in a side street few rooms if any have a view of more than the next building,at least...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Lugano Centre, responded to this review, April 8, 2012
Dear Talentpicker,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.
I was disappointed to read that you had a poor service experience when you visited the restaurant, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future.
I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Had made a reservation at this hotel, because being a Platinum Elite member and a Royal Ambassador, try to be loyal to the brand, But must stay this hotel takes that loyalty to the extream, I have never ever come across a staff member so rude, a Member of staff working on reception, call Fredrico, he was rude unprofessional and a disgrace to the Holiday Inn name, I ask him to contact the General Manager or any duty manager, he refused, I ask him to give me there name he refused, The hotel was dirty, rooms very shabby, bathroom looked like not been cleaned in weeks, could not get into car park, because builders blocking, who refused to move to let me in, explained this to Fredrico, he told me not his problem!, he then went on to say, don't know why you English people come to this country and cant even speak the language!!!! With that I packed my suitcase and left the hotel>
Two days later I had my office phone the hotel to speak with Management,, again they refused, I even Had IHG Corporate department phone the hotel, they even refused to give them any details, and that's the licence holders of Holiday Inn.
This hotel really is Poor, and be worth spending your money to stay elsewhere, there are real issues at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Lugano Centre, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear Dubaiman,

Thank You for staying with us and providing your feedback. We greatly appreciate your loyalty to IHG and very sorry to see you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering good service and are happy doing so. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. We have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Lin S.
IHGCare
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

When I visitied this hotel I was again surprised how bad the price performance ratio of hotels in Switzerland are.
But even taken into account that "normal" hotels in Switzerland do not have the "normal standard" compared to other countries this hotel is still not good.
I cannot understand why some peoople gave four or five stars. One reason I often saw was "great location". Well, yes it is in Lugano. But not directly at the lake and also not directly in the center of Lugano. So, why is it a great location? Don´t know.

The rooms are old, the whole hotel is old. The breakfast is terrible - even compared to a typical Italian like breakfast. No fresh fruits, just cheap Mortadella and chease, toasts. Maybe it was because of off seaon but actually this can´t be an excuse for a Holiday Inn hotel.
This is certainly not a four star hotel.

I saw a previous reviewer has written:
Be warned, this is an overpriced, shabby hotel that the Holiday Inn should strip of their franchise, it does nothing but give the chain a bad name and terrible image.

I fully agree, and unfortunately, I made the experience that Holiday Inn has got some of these hotels.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Sirs,
I apologize for the bad experience in our hotel. I would like to inform you that we are renovating the hotel and from some days we have three floors of new rooms!
I hope you will be able to see the progress made ​​in these months of work by visiting us soon.
All our best wishes

Been to Holiday Inn Lugano Centre? Share your experiences!