“Smart hotel 5 mins from Lido” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel de la Paix
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Giuseppe Cattori 18, Lugano 6900, Switzerland   |
Ranked #20 of 42 hotels in Lugano
Bransgore, United Kingdom
“Smart hotel 5 mins from Lido”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

Pleasant and nicely appointed hotel, 5 minutes from station by taxi. 30 minutes pleasant and flat walk to palais de congres.

Rooms were pleasant enough, wifi, free minibar.
Note that power is using the Swiss standard socket so you may need to find an adapter. The continental thin two prong plugs work but not the thicker ones!

Food was good, bar was stretched when full as it's only small with one barman.

Beds were comfortable and firm, English language TV, small verandah to enjoy lake glimpses from.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We had a family holiday recently in this hotel. Although reviews seemed a bit mixed we were very pleased with the service. We had booked a twin bed (by oversight) through Trivago, with a room accomodating 3 people (2 adults + child). At the reception they pointed out our booking was for twin beds but when we said we wanted a double they were very accomodating and took just 10 mins to get the room ready for us. There was also a single camp bed for a child. We later realised they had upgraded us to a Junior Suite in a corner location giving us two long balconies, a partial sea view ( which we had asked for) and full mountain view. The bathroom had a bath too. Everything was neat and clean. The minibar was stocked with water and non alchoholic drinks and they were free. They do not have a kettle in the room so we had carried our travel kettle and there are plenty pf plug points.The breakfast buffet was very good with warm and cold buffet, choice of breads, cereals, cakes...really very good. It was also managed very well with tea and coffee being served at the table. The check in and check out was very efficient and friendly, there is a left luggage facility, lots of quiet sitting areas...It is also a few mins walk from Lugano Paradiso boat ride center and we made good use of that to take boat cruises and trips to Gandria and Swissminiatur. It is also a few mins walk from the San Salvatore Funiculaire, which is also recommended. I would highly recommended this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room preferably on 5th floor which should give you a clear sea view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We had a good sized room with a king bed that was firm but not too hard. The wifi in the hotel was a bit erratic. We had a view of the lake through some tall buildings. When you look out at night the view from the room is fantastic with lights all the way up the side of a hill. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice.

Room Tip: Room 216 on the 2nd floor was quiet and had a balcony and a good view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. I can't rave enough about it, the check in was easy and both girls at the reception were kind and courteous. However, I do have to brag about our bar tender, Tomaso. He was full of useful information about what to do around town and even gave us tips about visiting Milan but the best where his basil mojitos!!! They are to die for! A total different twist to the regular mojitos and they where delish and refreshing too. If you stay here make sure you taste one of these mojitos.

Stayed May 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed 4 nights at the Hotel de la Paix for a large conference which saw delegates accommodated in a number of different hotels in Lugano. Our first impressions were not fantastic, as several of us arrived by bus at the same time, and with only one person at the reception desk the check in process took a very long time, which, with all of us severely jetlagged, caused tempers to fray. Our room was miniscule, with 2 single beds pushed together but separately made up as singles - not a great start. We were very pleased to change rooms the following day to a much larger room on a higher floor, although the beds were as rock hard as they had been in the first room. With so many colleagues enjoying rooms in other hotels with magnificent lake views, we could not help but be disappointed with this hotel in comparison. If you are happy to spend more money, there are better hotels in Lugano. If you want a lake view, choose another hotel. If you are wanting a clean basic hotel with a very good breakfast buffet and a short walk to the lake and the shopping area, this hotel will tick the boxes.

Room Tip: If you want glimpses of the lake be sure to specify this when booking.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Rzeszow, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Excellent hotel, spacious rooms, large and well equipped bathroom, we also got balcony with city/lake view. Good breakfast with excellent coffee, plenty of choices both warm and cold. Free parking, free wifi. Nice and competent staff.
Not much to complain, it is a bit far the centre and WiFi authorisation system is very annoying, on a mobile it will ask you for a password every few minutes.
There is also a matter of price - it's not cheap, but what is in Switzerland.

Room Tip: Views from the balcony on higher floors are worth the extra price.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Better late than never. My story will begin with a valued, beautiful large V-shaped burgundy coloured, fur-like shawl I left behind in Hotel de la Paix on a Christmas Eve evening after dining in their charming Italian restaurant (red/white tablecloth, high-back wooden chairs, wrought-iron balustrades(?) and even curtains on pretty windows!) where the Maitre D and his young team (a young lady + young man) despite being super busy, took care of us our dining needs like it was their own personal restaurant.

On this trip, the tour did put us up in nice, beautiful hotels in some Swiss towns/cities and even in UK where I moved on to.

But I remember Hotel de la Paix for how luxurious it felt the moment I stepped in - from the carpeting, sofas & upholstery, shiny varnished side tables (even a revolving door with 2 large plants on either side to make it stand out even more) and the elderly uniformed man who served us our welcome drinks. This Hotel de la Paix in Lugano simply lives up to its glorious name!! That evening unfortunately, when we checked in, the reception staff had to deal with so many in our group who were "demanding" for phone chargers. But they coped very well.

So few days after Lugano, I realised my shawl had been left behind. Over and over again, I was discouraged from getting it back: "It would have been gone by now", "Don't expect to get it back", "Don't expect anyone to be honest enough to keep it for you". Even upon returning home, I simply put away the hope of ever seeing my shawl again. But it was a special shawl, often it came back that I should have tried to get it back.

3 months long after that visit, I sent out an email - just to check if they still have it - I was ready for a negative reply, but I will just try. . First I heard from Lorena, then Alessandro, then Sonia - they were all following up on my enquiry. With such eagerness to help in the tone of their responses, I sent them a picture of the shawl, and afer a few days, they got back to me and "Yes, we'ge got it". And I thought OMG what honesty of the staff of Hotel de la Paix to keep it for so long for me to make the claim. What a fantastic impression of a hotel I have such a nice memory of.

The shawl I so valued is with me now. My special thanks to the restaurant staff who kept it for me

I want to stay in Hotel de la Paix.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel de la Paix? Share your experiences!