“Great location, and 95% of employees top notch!"” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Lugano
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great location, and 95% of employees top notch!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

I agree with previous reviewers comments about great location, nice room etc. Just a few things I'd like to add:

Liked: apperitivo bar at the end of the day
Super friendly car pack guys, sent us along our way with good wishes & bottled water
Computers / internet / printers free and easly accessible

Disliked:
One of the reception women was particularly unfriendly. Her facial expressions were cold, not smiling, not sure if she had a bad day or what. It was especially noticable when her colleague assisted us, who was extremely pleasant. The unfortunate thing is she was the first person who greeted us, and it just seemed to put a damper on my impression.

The rest of the stay was quite brillant - so I would not let the interaction with the receptionist keep me away! Just a reminder that the receptionist position is particularly visible, and it's easy to project 'unintended' perceptions of being unhappy.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
CarloFontana-GM, GM at Lugano Dante Center Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2009
Dear American_in_Italy,

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Lugano Dante. Your feedback is very important to us, it is how we learn and improve upon our services.

We were delighted to read that you liked your room and our great location in the downtown city center of Lugano. We hope you also liked the complimentary in-room nonalcoholic minibar and 24 hour coffee/tea/snacks station in our main lobby. These are ways we like to say thank you to our beloved guests.

We are grateful for the 4 out of 5 rating you gave us. However, your comment about an unfriendly person at reception was concerning to us. We are proud of our staff and realize that being at the reception desk is a bit like being on stage for 8 hours if you will. This is in no way excusing her behavior, just trying to understand what might of happened that day. We apologize and have passed along your comment to our staff and explained the importance of smiles and first impressions. Hopefully, by alerting us to this situation and dealing with it, we can prevent this from happening again.

Please come back and give us another chance to satisfy you 100%.

We hope to see you soon! Thank you for choosing Hotel Lugano Dante.

Carlo Fontana, GM & Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Lausanne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

My friend and I made an excellent choice choosing this hotel for our stay in beautiful Lugano. Travelling by train was so easy - you can see the hotel as you step out of the funicular. The sound proof, air conditioned room was immaculate with a very comfortable bed, free cool drinks/water (where do you get that these days in hotels) and a huge bathroom. The breakfast buffet tops the list from many hotels I have stayed in while in Europe. The hotel lobby is a nice quiet place to sit and relax with a cup of free coffee. Best of all the staff are very helpful and friendly which is hard to find these days - I asked for special pillows and they were there before I even arrived back in my room!! I will definately be back but this time I will stay longer as I loved the whole experience.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
CarloFontana-GM, GM at Lugano Dante Center Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2009
Dear MishkaLausanne,

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Lugano Dante. We were delighted to read your comments about our hotel and staff.

Our location adjacent to the funicular, makes us the perfect choice for guests coming to or leaving us by train. And, being in the pedestrian center of Lugano means, our guests won't have to depend on public transportation. Guests will find restaurants, shops, offices, festivals and the lake all within walking distance.

We are so glad you liked your room and found it to be immaculate and comfortable. We have invested a large amount in soundproofing our hotel ceilings, floors, and double glazed windows. All rooms include a complimentary nonalcoholic minibar, 30 minute WiFi at our computer stations and 24 hour coffee/tea/snacks in our main lobby. These are some of the ways we like to say thank you to our guests.

Our breakfast buffet does set us apart from many other hotels. We offer an array of food and beverage from 7 til 11 am everyday. Our breakfast buffet is controlled for quality, variety and service daily.

Please come back and stay with us again! Thank you for choosing Hotel Lugano Dante!

Carlo Fontana, GM % Staff
kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

I stayed in the dante for a week from 12th july as part of a europe tour with the family . we stayed in two junior suits which were very amazing.the hotel is centerally located in a pleasant way that everything is around you ( the lake,shops,resturants and cafe,s...etc).the hotel is less than 10 meters from the funicular to the up train station ( very convient ).
this hotel is a unique hotel that really make you attached to.from the the amazing breakfast and breakfast room atmosphere to the lovely lobby with the tea/esperesso coffe,candy and chocoletes, along with the junior pc with two pc,s for the adult guests having internet access for 30 mints, ending with the free afternoon snaks at the bar.every thing is done with smile.
for the rooms ,the junior suit was of a good size ,nicely and warmely decorated,nice bath size and amenities,lovely open minibar.

the management of this hotel are seriousely making the stay of the residents nicely unforgottable.all the staff in the hotel are running to your comfort .in one occasion my little daughter requested a special type of candy that at this day was not available.Mr. Serkan Oktay ( front office manager) personally arranged the candy and wrapped it in a present way and gave to my daughter who became extremely happy.
This hotel is really raising the bar so high that other hotels that im gonna stay in will not match it.
I cant imagine lugano not staying in the dante.
For anybody going to lugano,dont hesitate,go to the dante.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
CarloFontana-GM, GM at Lugano Dante Center Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2009
Dear rasheed_albader,

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Dante. We are overjoyed by your comments of our hotel and staff. And, we are flattered by your 5 out of 5 rating.

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your family to our hotel. We were so glad to read that you liked our location near to the train station and in the center of Lugano. We are also glad you liked your room and amenities.

It is our pleasure to offer our guests extras such as, snacks, a complimentary nonalcoholic minibar, 24 hour coffee/tea/snacks in our main lobby and free WiFi at our computer stations. These are ways we like to say thank you to our beloved guests. And regarding your daughter's special candy request, children are always welcome at Hotel Lugano Dante, and it is our hope that they will keep a nice memory of their stay and, why not, come back and visit us when they are all grown up.

Thank you so much for your kind words and recommendations. Please come back and visit us again!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed at this hotel in july 09. the location of the hotel is super!! just few steps from the train station. room is clean and big enough. the building is not so new, but it didn't make any problems for us.The internet fee is good - 9 Fr per day + you get 1 hour free every day. It's much better that in Zurich (35 Fr per day)!! Breakfast is super! Everything you want is there!

We will stay in this hotel next time we visit Lugano!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Screp,

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Lugano Dante. We were delighted to receive a 5 out of 5 rating from you.

Our location, adjacent to the funicular, makes us most convenient for guest coming to us by train. And, being in the pedestrian center of Lugano, means you won't need a car when you are with us.

We are glad you found your room clean and big enough in size. Our building is considered a historical building in Lugano. The building itself may not be new, but it was built to last, and inside is completely newly refurbished. Regarding the internet rate of 9 CHF/day, it is fair to point out from an Executive room and above, internet is free 24 hours a day along with shuttle service to airport and many other amenities.

We hope you will come back and stay with us again! Thank you for choosing Hotel Lugano Dante!

Carlo Fontana, Gm & Staff
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

The overall quality of the hotel is good but there are some things to note. First, the rooms are small. Ours was on the top floor with a raised ceiling but without that it would have felt cramped. We also were supposed to have a non-smoking room but it wreaked of smoke so we had to leave the windows open to air it out. There is little information in the room about services or hours of the breakfast. Most curious was the shocking lack of information available from the front desk about local restaurants and transportation. The receptionist had to go online to figure out how to get to Menaggio next door in Lake Como and then gave us incorrect information so we missed our trip. The staff tried but were not very well informed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
CarloFontana-GM, GM at Lugano Dante Center Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2009
Dear Ibearpal,

Thank you so much for reviewing Hotel Lugano Dante. We welcome all guest feedback and view it as a learning tool on which to improve upon our services.

Our location is considered a historical building situated in Lugano's city center. We offer 5 room typologies: Quality, Superior, Executive, Junior Suite and Suite. Rooms vary in size, furniture, tapestries and amenities, in order to satisfy all of our guest's needs. We are not a chain hotel where are rooms are standard and decorated the same.

In every room guest may find a multilingual brochure that offer information about our hotel, and our many services (including breakfast hours). In front of reception, there is a Lugano Tourism information stand full of brochures and maps free for guests. Our hotel reception staff are always on hand to assist in choosing a restaurant, things to do, and assist with directions. However, we are not always up to date on Italian train or other means of transport information, which can change daily depending on many factors: weather, strikes, mechanical problems, etc.

We are grateful to have received a 4 out of 5 rating from you. We hope you liked the complimentary nonalcoholic minibar in your room, free WiFi at our computer stations, 24 hour coffee/tea station in our main lobby and our delicious breakfast buffet. These are ways we like to show our gratitude to our beloved guests.

hoofddorp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

Very good price-quality. Nice location at a Piazza in centre but no sound in the room. Free snacks in the lounge. Free mineral water and jus in the minibar. Very good and various breakfast.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
CarloFontana-GM, General Manager at Lugano Dante Center Swiss Quality Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2009
Dear hoofddorp,

Thank you so much for reviewing Hotel Lugano Dante. Your feed back is important to us and we are grateful for the nice comments you gave our hotel.

Our main goal is to make our guests feel welcome and comfortable when they are with us. That is the reasoning behind the complimentary nonalcoholic minibar in all rooms, coffee/tea/snacks in main lobby and free 30 minute WiFi at our computer stations.

We have invested a large amount in soundproofing all rooms, ceilings, floors, and double glazed windows. Our location in the pedestrian center of Lugano offers a tranquil setting for our business and pleasure travelers. Lugano is a beautiful city and offers something for everyone all year round.

Please come back and visit us again! Thank you for choosing Hotel Lugano Dante!

Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Dante while in Lugano for a dental meeting and absolutely loved it!! The staff were excellent and I found them to be incredibly pleasant, gracious and helpful.

Upon our arrival in Lugano, after flying 18 hours and then having approximately two hours time waiting for luggage and transfers, the reception staff were very welcoming and had us in our room within 10 minutes of our arrival. When you walk into the hotel the first thing you notice is how lovely and inviting the lobby/reception area is will all the chairs and sofas. The next thing you notice is how that everyone from management to housekeeping greet you warmly at every turn. The bar is located just off the reception desk, so you can easily get a glass of wine while you relax. (Note: prices were extremely reasonable and the bartender was wonderful!) It's very open and light with lots of windows looking out onto the square. This made a wonderful place for everyone to casually meet and visit and no one had to stand, their were more than enough seats for all of us.

The Dante also offers another of my favorites: candy! It's everywhere! There are assorted sweets on the reception counter (my favorites were the sugared marshmallows and orange wrapped fizz candies-yum! LOL..Dante staff..please feel free to mail some of these to me if you are so inclined!! ), cookies on the bar counter, dishes of candy outside the dining area and to top it all off, there is a cappuccino/espresso machine with fresh pastries (available all day) in the lobby. For those of you who may not want sweets, there are fresh crisp apples on the reception desk counter.

Our room was perfect, yes they are a bit smaller in some areas, but it was not a problem for my husband and myself whatsoever. They were immaculate and had assorted pillows and down comforters. From someone who suffers back problems and has trouble sleeping, this did not happen here as the mattress was very high end and comfortable. Of course, maybe it was also because it was so relaxing at this hotel. The bath amenities were full size and smelled wonderful! They have small refrigerators in the room which are stocked daily with *complimentary* litre bottles of water, both still and sparkling, 2 diet cokes, 2 regular cokes, 2 juice boxes and flavored sodas!! Again, did I mention these were complimentary!!! As our phone service did not work in Europe, we were so very pleased to find that the Dante offers free Internet use to guests. This was so appreciated as I was able to keep in contact with my children and not have to search out and purchase an international phone.

Another service that I really appreciated was the complimentary use of a converter for my electronics and hair appliances. I forgot to bring my converter (you will need one) and I panicked as I was attending a black tie event. I called reception and within 5 minutes they brought me a converter to keep during the duration of my stay. I'm not sure how our formal affair would have gone had I not had my curling iron. They have hair dryers in the bathroom and plenty of counter space.

Breakfast: I wish I could have gotten a photo! There is a table that is just fresh fruits, both cut and whole and also mixed fruit salad. There are fresh cheeses, salamis, hams, quiches, roasted vegetables, oatmeal, cereal, coffee, chocolate, yogurts (both regular and light) along with assorted other items that I cannot remember. It's the most amazing spread you will see at any hotel.

Tips and Hints:

*Bring a converter, just in case the hotel converters are all in use.
*Wear comfortable walking shoes as the cobblestone streets can be a little hard to navigate in heels. The locals take great care with their appearance, so purchase nice walking shoes and leave the sneakers and fanny packs/back packs at home so as not to look *touristy*.
*Be aware that they do not have segregated smoking/non smoking areas at restaurants, so if this really bothers you, you might have a bit of a problem. Ask the waiter to seat you as far away as possible and they do try to accommodate you as much as possible.
*If you want ice in your beverage, you need to ask for it as it is not automatic. Same for regular (still) water versus sparkling, if you have a preference.
*Exchange money at local bank. The exchange booths at the airport really charge a hefty fee.
*Money used is Swiss Francs.
*Check with your phone company before you go to see if you have European service or make appropriate arrangements for an international phone.
*A few people had problems with their ATM cards, so check with your bank before you go to avoid any issues.
*Cash is easier to exchange than traveler's checks.
*A private car will cost you about $160US from the Milan airport to Lugano but if you go to Terminal one, exit 4 catch the charter service direct to Lugano for approx $20us per person. Upon arrival at the terminal, go to the terminal and you will see a silver tram. For approx $1.10 per person you can take this to the bottom of the hill and it is directly in front of the Dante.
* Outside the Dante, to the right, are many fun alleys with shops, restaurants and great markets. The food is wonderful!
To the left and up the hill are many wonderful little boutiques with clothing,shoes, jewelry and cafes. At the top is a gorgeous church that has a beautiful view of the city.
*Bring twice as much money as you think you will need!

So in closing, thank you Dante hotel and staff, for an wonderful stay!!! We will definitely be back again!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Dear klynnega,

Thank you so much for reviewing Hotel Lugano Dante. We have never received such a detailed comment from a guest and we are so grateful for your time and effort. We are flattered by your 5/5 rating and we are going to hold you to your last comment about definitely coming back again.

We were delighted to read that from the minute you walked in the door, our staff were welcoming and check in was quick. Our main goal is to make our guests feel welcome and comfortable when they are with us. This is the reason we offer our guests a variety of candy, coffee/tea in main lobby, complimentary nonalcoholic minibar in all rooms, and free 30 minute WiFi. We also have what we call, pillow service (choice of different pillow types), to help our guests get a good night's sleep every night they stay at Hotel Lugano Dante.

We are pleased we could offer you an adapter/converter for your small appliances. Adaptors/converters are for loan free of charge for the duration of your stay (subject to availability). Hair dryers are standard in all rooms.

We are proud of our delicious breakfast buffet which offers an array of food and beverage. We feel it is the best way for our guests to start off their busy days. Breakfast is controlled daily for quality, variety and service before it touches the guest's plates. We are glad you liked it.

We hope to see you again soon! Thank you for choosing Hotel Lugano Dante!

Carlo Fontana, GM & Staff

Been to Lugano Dante Center Swiss Quality Hotel? Share your experiences!