“Great View” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Riva Paradiso 1, Lugano 6900, Switzerland   |
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Lugano
“Great View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We spent two nights at the Eden a few weeks ago. Our room was comfortable and our lake view from the balcony was wonderful. The floating bar area was quite nice and very comfortable in the late afternoon for a drink and a nice breeze. It was an easy walk into the town and we enjoyed our time in the hotel and in Lugano.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake.
Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your review and for your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Eden.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in one of your future visits to Lugano.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
Maldegem, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The short stay in this hotel has pleased us. We passed by for one day, but we remember a warm hospitality. We had a clean an comfortable room with view at the lake. We got well informed about some touristic trips we could do in the few hours we had. Diner was taken in the city, but the breakast buffet was top, even with an Itaian style capuccino. The terras at the border of the lake, filled with sunshine, helpen our appetite!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Mr. “Frank P”,
Thank you very much for your nice review about your recent stay at Grand Hotel Eden.

I am very pleased to read that you have been satisfied with your room and that your enjoyed in particular our breakfast buffet and our cappuccino!

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We recently stayed at the Grand Hotel Eden for 4 days on the recommendation of a relative. It has a wonderful location on the Lake & the rooms at the front on the Lake are a must to take advantage of it. It is a bit of a walk into central Lugano to go to other restaurants but if the weather is fine this isn't a chore as you walk around the edge of the Lake. From reading other reviews it seems that the Manager is receptive to suggestions & had prior to our stay introduced free wifi after several tripadvisor reviewers thought it should be included. Great move. The rooms I think are probably due for some attention in the near future to keep it in the 5 star category with respect to the furnishings. The breakfast I thought was good & what a lovely outlook when you sit there in the mornings. Pleasant helpful staff in the restaurant & reception area. My one concern is perhaps the restaurant being 100% pitched at the fine dining experience with prices to match. 60 Euros for a steak. I think it would be good to encourage hotel guests to eat in the restaurant by perhaps offering a reduced price for a limited 2 course menu for example. I have seen this done at other hotels. Another option is to divide the restaurant(a large area) into two parts, keeping a 'fine dining' area for those who want it & another pitched at a 'smart casual' level. Personally even though we ate there on 2 nights I felt a bit intimidated because we weren't having a full 3 course meal with all the trappings! When you are travelling for long periods of time it's not something you want every night. Hopefully the hotel would find that more guests would eat in & enjoy that wonderful view.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your sharing your views about your stay at our hotel. I am pleased to know that your expectations were met all in all and that you noticed that we are offering free wifi through the whole property.

Indeed I am very attentive to our guest’s comments as their contribution is of great importance and helps us to constantly improve our customer service.

With regards to our restaurant strategy, I thank you for your suggestions which are online with what we are offering on our floating raft. One side is dedicated to the fine dining experience and the other half offers more snacks and less sophisticated dishes.

I thank you one more time for choosing the Grand Hotel Eden for your recent stay and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future occasion.

Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I think this hotel used to be one of the Grand Old Ladies of Lugano.

It's clear that it has been a luxury hotel once, but today it's starting to me pretty outdated. My room was big but outdated. It had a ablcony with view of the lake, which was very nice.

Breakfast was ok, and there is a fantastic view of the lake from the breakfast restaurant.

I didn't try the pool.

Service was in top.

A tip. Don't book via the link on Tripadvisor. I got a price which was 85% above the price directly from the hotels web page.

Room Tip: Take a room with balcony and view of the lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay at Grand Hotel Eden.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our service level, the view of the lake from your room and from the breakfast room.

Next time try our pool and Spa where you can choose among a selection of face and body treatments in an ambiance that is dedicated to health, fitness and overall wellbeing.

I hope you will visit us again sometime in the future.

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We previously stayed at this wonderful hotel on a trip to Switzerland and made a special trip to do it again when visiting Lake Como. The hotel was slightly more dated than our previous stay 10 years prior, but still a very comfortable and clean. The staff is excellent and the view outstanding. Excellent food was served lakeside. All in all I would not hesitate to recommend Hotel Grand Eden to anyone visiting the Lugano area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “LindaG2”,

Thank you very much for choosing the Grand Hotel Eden for your past and recent stays. Your loyalty is our best reward!

I happy to read that you enjoyed the level of food served in our restaurant and also the service and friendliness of our personnel, who is constantly committed to providing the best experience for our guests.

We all look forward to your return to stay with us in the future again! Thank you!

Bristol, Connecticut, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed at the Grand Hotel Eden in mid-May 2013. We had a great superior room with a balcony overlooking Lake Lugano. The hotel provided a fresh bouquet of flowers, chocolates, and a bowl of fruit as a gift when you get to the room. Room was very clean, up-to-date, including wi-fi.
Only downside was the showerhead was not quite working properly.
Breakfast buffet was good. They will even bring the food to your room at no extra cost until 10 a.m. if you want to eat in your room
Location along the promenade was wonderful with a 10-15 minute walk to the center of downtown area. They have a nice patio on the water. Staff service is excellent. One night we wanted to have a snack and we requested items not on the menu (cheese plate, fresh fruit) to go with prosecco. They were happy to accommodate and created a wonderful dish.
I would recommend this hotel if staying in Lugano.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear "tlmika"
Thank you for your excellent review of our hotel and for sharing it with other travellers.
It was a pleasure to read your comments which reflect exactly our personnel attitude; kindness and happy to accommodate every guests’ needs. I look forward to welcoming you back in Lugano and until then I remain with my kindest regards.
Los Altos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This hotel is around a 10 - 15 minute walk from Lugano along the lake. Our room was spacious and the service at breakfast was excellent. Breakfast had a good variety, although omelettes were an extra charge. Cappucinos could be requested at breakfast. We had dinner at the hotel one day, and the food was extremely salty. We ate dinner elsewhere on our other evening there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear "GoneTravelin"
Thank you for your positive remarks and review about our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our room spaciousness, our service and our buffet breakfast. With regards to your dinner experience, I am very sorry to read that the food was very salty and I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Together with my team I look forward to your next visit here in Lugano. Best regards.

Hotel Manager

Been to Grand Hotel Eden? Share your experiences!