“A bit tired” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Lugano
Luxembourg
“A bit tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I think this hotel used to be one of the Grand Old Ladies of Lugano.

It's clear that it has been a luxury hotel once, but today it's starting to me pretty outdated. My room was big but outdated. It had a ablcony with view of the lake, which was very nice.

Breakfast was ok, and there is a fantastic view of the lake from the breakfast restaurant.

I didn't try the pool.

Service was in top.

A tip. Don't book via the link on Tripadvisor. I got a price which was 85% above the price directly from the hotels web page.

Room Tip: Take a room with balcony and view of the lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay at Grand Hotel Eden.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our service level, the view of the lake from your room and from the breakfast room.

Next time try our pool and Spa where you can choose among a selection of face and body treatments in an ambiance that is dedicated to health, fitness and overall wellbeing.

I hope you will visit us again sometime in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We previously stayed at this wonderful hotel on a trip to Switzerland and made a special trip to do it again when visiting Lake Como. The hotel was slightly more dated than our previous stay 10 years prior, but still a very comfortable and clean. The staff is excellent and the view outstanding. Excellent food was served lakeside. All in all I would not hesitate to recommend Hotel Grand Eden to anyone visiting the Lugano area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “LindaG2”,

Thank you very much for choosing the Grand Hotel Eden for your past and recent stays. Your loyalty is our best reward!

I happy to read that you enjoyed the level of food served in our restaurant and also the service and friendliness of our personnel, who is constantly committed to providing the best experience for our guests.

We all look forward to your return to stay with us in the future again! Thank you!

Bristol, Connecticut, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed at the Grand Hotel Eden in mid-May 2013. We had a great superior room with a balcony overlooking Lake Lugano. The hotel provided a fresh bouquet of flowers, chocolates, and a bowl of fruit as a gift when you get to the room. Room was very clean, up-to-date, including wi-fi.
Only downside was the showerhead was not quite working properly.
Breakfast buffet was good. They will even bring the food to your room at no extra cost until 10 a.m. if you want to eat in your room
Location along the promenade was wonderful with a 10-15 minute walk to the center of downtown area. They have a nice patio on the water. Staff service is excellent. One night we wanted to have a snack and we requested items not on the menu (cheese plate, fresh fruit) to go with prosecco. They were happy to accommodate and created a wonderful dish.
I would recommend this hotel if staying in Lugano.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear "tlmika"
Thank you for your excellent review of our hotel and for sharing it with other travellers.
It was a pleasure to read your comments which reflect exactly our personnel attitude; kindness and happy to accommodate every guests’ needs. I look forward to welcoming you back in Lugano and until then I remain with my kindest regards.
Los Altos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This hotel is around a 10 - 15 minute walk from Lugano along the lake. Our room was spacious and the service at breakfast was excellent. Breakfast had a good variety, although omelettes were an extra charge. Cappucinos could be requested at breakfast. We had dinner at the hotel one day, and the food was extremely salty. We ate dinner elsewhere on our other evening there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear "GoneTravelin"
Thank you for your positive remarks and review about our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our room spaciousness, our service and our buffet breakfast. With regards to your dinner experience, I am very sorry to read that the food was very salty and I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Together with my team I look forward to your next visit here in Lugano. Best regards.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great hotel, great location, excellent reception staff - Elenia, Cristina, Stafania, Victoria and Saul, thank you very much for everything. Special mention also to the bartenders downstairs (Alessandro and Salvatore, great chaps) and to the breakfast team. Well worth hotel and city. Thanks to all for a great stay. 'Will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the lake. Great, great view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear “BRCastro”,

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your impressions about the Grand Hotel Eden with other travelers.

I am glad you could experience the friendliness of our staff who is constantly committed to providing the best experience for our guests.

Together with my team, I look forward to your next visit here at the Grand Hotel Eden.

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Great location and beautiful view of the lake and of Lugano. The hotel has two buildings and a partial lake view means you will be in the back building slightly off the lake. The breakfast has everything from eggs, to cereal, pastries, cheeses and cold cuts, smoked salmon, yogurts and fresh fruits.Take advantage of the free shuttle from the train station because a five minute taxi to the hotel will cost upwards of 20 CHF. The sauna is small but very clean and has an adjacent indoor poor area to relax and cool down while enjoying free tea, juice, or water.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MTLugano, Direttore at Grand Hotel Eden, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear “Wendy T”,
Thank you very much for your positive and great review. Together with my team, I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back at the Grand Hotel Eden.

Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I am amazed by some of the good reviews that this hotel has received in Trip advisor.
I have been staying at this hotel for ten years now as it is a hotel I have to use through business and I stay several times every year yet every time I arrive there they ask me whether this is my first time staying with the hotel! Then usually they are unable to find my booking or have the number of nights wrong and even when I show them my e mail reservation they will still claim they had not got the booking, particularly the older man who mans reception.
The rooms on the city side are decorated in bizarre silver/snakeskiin style and even though the lake side rooms are more peacesful they are still not furnished to 5 star standards. Though most of their guests seem to be english speaking they only have CNN and BBC World as English TV channels and no radio channels. In summer it is possible to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful lake views (and there is no doubt that the hotel is in a wonderful location) but in winter there is no general lounge areas for guests to enjoy, only at reception and the rather seedy bar.
Staff are singularly unhelpful and often rude except for Giorgio who seems to look after the pool area and Linda, the really great masseuse.
Breakfast is good and served in a room which again has fabulous views but otherwise the food is average and greatly overpriced. If you are ordering room service it is not possible to get just a glass of wine, only a bottle....incredible.
If you can, avoid this hotel and if you have a little more money or the choice try its sister hotel, the Splendide, which also overlooks the lake and is a world apart from the Eden in terms of surroundings and staff

Room Tip: Try the more expensive lake side rooms as more peaceful
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Grand Hotel Eden? Share your experiences!