This hotel, placed 50m from the lake and at the edge of the pedestrian city centre (tourist area) provided a very pleasant stay for my friend and me during a long holiday weekend in Switzerland. When I say Switzerland, I mean it in the most Italian sense of the word!
When we arrived, together with my labrador, we all (Desmond included) were greeted warmly, and the staff even allowed me to check in using my small command of Italian. They also spoke French and Spanish (and I suspect German). We arrived a bit early for check-in, so they took our cases and placed them in our room for our return later in the day. The staff greeted us each time we came and went.
Our room was an economy room in the back of the second floor, so we only had a view of the building and courtyard (and were 5m from the back patio). The room was clean and comfortable with plenty of space, and the daily cleaning service was friendly and well-accomplished. The "matrimonial" bed was standard for Europe - two twin beds connected.
We didn't use the pool, as it was rather chilly, but it's a nice back garden with patio - from one side, you can see clear to the lake.
Morning breakfast was a generous buffet with meats, cheeses, yoghurt, meusli, croissants, and some cooked food. When I had to decline the fruit salad due to an allergy, the delightful Italian waiter found some fresh cherries for me in the kitchen. Go early, though, as yummy treats like smoked salmon are eaten sooner than others.
If you can, do walk up the stairs. The paintings along the walls are unique collections that span from botanicals to nudes to unexpensively framed old family pictures.
Wi-Fi is either paid or accessible for free from the lobby and first floor lounge (which also features a lake-view balcony).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prime location in the old-town quarter and shopping district of the city centre and on the lake-promenade.Historical Downtown Hotel with extended facilities such as private garage parking, garden with swimming-pool and WiFi Internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel and Venere so you can book your Hotel International au Lac reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- International Au Lac Lugano
- International Au Lac Hotel