“Nice hotel but variable service in the hotel restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvedere
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Promenade 89, Davos 7270, Switzerland   |
Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Davos
Trondheim, Norway
“Nice hotel but variable service in the hotel restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I like this hotel. I have stayed there several times before. It's a little bit old-fashioned, with conventional room-key that you have to deliver to reception when you leave the hotel to take a promenade, instead of widespread card-solution. There is nice reception, upgraded/renovated for some years ago and the bar next to lobby, with good selection of food and drinks. Very polite service at check-in/out and otherwise. It's possible to order a pick-up at arrival at the railway station, it's works perfectly (I did it several times, from and to the railway station). During the ski-season, there is transfer from the hotel to the ski-centres (Parsen and Jakobshorn), works OK, buss goes each ?15 min. Very good breakfast, very good selection of everything one needs. Scrambled egg is made of egg (not of some kind of powder as in majority of other restaurants), there are also tasty small sausages and nice selection of bakery and different pots with cereals for müsli and corn flakes-lovers. It's possible to order a personal omelette if you like... You don't have to look for a coffee or tea, it will be served to you by a waitress/waiter, if you are noticed in the entrance. Coffee is OK (in americano style, by default), but ask for cappuccino, it's much better! I have to mention that I like tables covered with conventional table-cloth (and not with sheets of paper as in many other places).There are different types of rooms. As I travel to Davos usually alone, I take a single room at this hotel. Bigger rooms are excellent, smaller/single rooms are not so impressive. They are quite small but usually with nice bathrooms. Clean. There are bathrobe and slippers, quite good shampoo and shower-gel (not in dispenser) in the bathroom. Minimalistic furniture, but there is no place for more. Unfortunately no kettle or automatic coffee-machine (a feature widespread in Scandinavia), no iron, no trousers-press, no shoe-cleaning sponge. The biggest drawback was bed - it was very-very-very hard :-(
There is a very good restaurant at this hotel. Actually, there are 2 restaurants. The first one (and the best, in my opinion), is the same place where is breakfast. Very good food, except one time when I was served a fish that was obviously not of good quality. Previously I experienced only perfect service in the restaurant. Unfortunately it was quite messy service during my last stay; it would have been just fine for a 3-star restaurant, but it was not OK for Belvedere. Waitress didn't understand English well, it was a disaster when I tried to explain that fish didn't taste well. It was complete mess when I had a dinner with my colleagues who didn't stayed at this hotel; waitress didn't know how to handle it and how much should it cost for guests who chose ?4-or 5 course-dinner (there is a very good fixed price for the dinner for those who stay at hotel). Thus, it was very mixed impressions from the restaurant during last stay. Service in the bar was however impeccable. I heard that hotel will be closed this year for renovation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. Don't take a single room even you are travelling alone. Single rooms...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Syracuse, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Room was beyond our expectations!! Clean, modern, gorgeous bathroom of dark grey granite, huge tub; comfortable bed; huge window looking out on the Alps. The breakfast was typical European and healthy!
Employees all friendly and professional! A young lady in the dining room went out her way to talk to us,very friendly. Made sure this was passed down to management!!
I hated to leave this hotel, I felt like a celebrity!! We were on a tour..
The hotel is on a steep hill, a tough walk up. Town has a lot to offer.

Room Tip: I am sure they are all great!!! Get a higher one up though.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ingo_Schwegler, General Manager at Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvedere, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Whiteout22,

we, the Steigenberger Team, say thank you so very much for your your positive and kind feedback about your stay with us here in Davos.
Your review will be a perfect motivation for my staff and me for the upcoming winterseason 2013/14. After a long period of renovation work during the summertime, we are more than happy to reopen our doors on the 22nd of november 2013.
With pleasure we would like to invite you to visit our "New Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvédère" again during the upcoming winterseason 2013/14.
Kind regards from Davos to Syracuse
yours
Ingo Schwegler
Managing Director
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a great hotel, the rooms are sofisticated and the breakfast is excellent.

The staff was not always up to what you would expect from a 5 stars, some were wonderful and others less efficient and attentive.

Location is good.

I recommend it both for business and for leisure.

• Stayed March 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

The positive surprise is that when we checked in we got upgraded to a suite. The suite is big, 2 rooms: living room with a bed sofa and the bedroom. Big wardrobe area. Big bathroom with jacuzzi. Very comfortable and also the location of the hotel is practical and quite. The breakfast buffet is excellent.
The overall cleanliness is not convincing, the suite had quite some dust around and it feels oldish.
The reception provides ski pass service, however something went wrong and we had to re do a ski-pass at the gondola losing quite some time. When we explained the issue at the hotel desk the receptionist was not very helpful and customer oriented telling us that we have to sort it out. Luckily a more experienced receptionist finally was able to solve the problem. This is not definitely what you expect from a 5 star hotel. At least the apologies....

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

While beautiful, this hotel seems to lack charm and warmth. The same could be said of many of the staff who though generally helpful lacked warmth of any kind. The rooms were nice though somewhat tired as was much of the interior. Really, just average with an above average price tag.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I guess we have been visiting hotel Steigenberger in Davos ten times. The first time in 1999 or 2000, we cannot remember exactly. We witnessed all the improvements Mr Wyrsch and his staff performed and the few days in Davos in March were for us one of the highlights of winter.
Understandably we were surprised when Mr. Wyrsch in 2011 told us to have chosen another career: still in the hospitality industry, but not anymore as manager of our beloved Steigenberger.
In 2012 we were not able to go to Davos, but this year we spent four nights in Steigenberger. We are not like de grumpy minor Dutch poet, who once wrote: “Every change is for the worse even if it is for the best”, so we were just curious to see the inevitable changes that would have been taken place at the hotel.
Well, to start with the conclusion: our stay was not as pleasant as it used to be, far from it.
It started with the room: we were given a room in front of the elevator. Every room has double doors and the elevator doesn’t give a irritating beep, but we know from experience that you hear people talking when exiting the lift. So we asked for another room.. They promised my husband and I a certain room number, but we had to wait a little. While I waited in the reception area, my husband went out to rent skies. After 5 minutes the lady at the reception desk brought me to my room, but not the room that my husband and I was promised. So when my husband returned, he went to the wrong room and had to apologise tot the people who were inhabiting that room.
The restaurant was okay, but the service was not the one we are used to. The staff tried their very best, but there were not enough of them and moreover, most of them seemed to be junior trainees. A lot cheaper of course.
The matrass on our beds were horrible. Very hard. The good thing is that they found a softer one for me. I was advised to wait in my room for a few minutes. So I postponed my breakfast and waited 55 minutes instead of 5 for the new matrass. The head of housekeeping had to be in a meeting. That can happen, but why didn’t anybody communicate this to the lady at the reception?
I could go on and on: the clock in the sauna was two hours ahead. The towels in the wellness area were smaller than before, the first night there was no turn down service. A significant change is the heating in the lounge, cooler than it was in the past.
The hotel will be refurbished this summer and the next one and that of course is fine. The old lady needs a facelift by now. But the most important part of a hotel is the service level and that should be improved. And please, change the beds! It would also help the skiers if the shuttle was still available during the lunch hours or at least before 1500.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the west side!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Steigenberger is touted as the grand-old lady of hotels in Davos.
Most rooms have a very nice view south onto the Jakobshorn ski area.
It is in the city centre next to the main road.

We were looking for a super-restful stay with our parents, one of whom is in poor health.
So we chose what we thought was the "best" house in Davos.
From Hotelplan, a major Swiss tour operator, we were offered a good deal, only to find out that once you included dinner, the good deal turned into quite an expensive stay. We took it anyway, as we wanted the certainty of good care offered by five stars and the Steigenberger brand.

On our arrival we were informed that this 5* house had overbooked.
Overbooking in a 5* house??

We were sent to a 4*. Which turned out be the newly built Hilton Garden Inn, a great place!

We still had to take our supper at the Steigenberger, but they had closed their main restaurant for a group, so we were shifted downstairs. The food was good.

The next day we tried to check into our rooms. We arrived at 1130, and were left to wait until 1430 in the lobby. We were offered no coffee nor anything else, nor any clue as to when we could get into our rooms.
The director of the hotel was nowhere to be found.
The staff reacted miffed at our questions as to when we could move into our rooms.
My parents needed to retreat to their room, but were left hanging in the lobby.
The staff was fully aware, but took no interest.

When we finally were shown two junior suite rooms, the decoration was predeluvial, at least fifty years old in style, mismatched, with half of the items looking as if they had come from IKEA or a second-hand shop, and the other half from a Victorian retirement home.

One of our rooms stank horribly of heavy smoking.
Upon pointing this out, we were immediately given another room, which had been redecorated recently, and was correct.

Missing items: No ironing board, nor tea or coffee facilities in the rooms at this 5* Steigenberger.
The TV was modest. The lights had no central switch.
The 4* Hilton next door had had all of these items, plus a much younger and more fun crowd.

The WLAN was advertised at 19.- CHF per day, but upon checking was given out for free.

The breakfast buffet was great, but the waiter-delivered coffee service always slow. A couple espresso machines in the breakfast room would have done wonders.

Dinner was pompous. The food itself sometimes great, sometimes barely average.

The hotel left us with a feeling that the juniors were running the place while the real management had left them to play with the old house. There was no inner core to the exercise, things were hit and miss.

This hotel is in dire need of a total revamp. It is not a 5* as the term is understood around the world.

This summer of 2013 they are supposedly renovating - besides overhauling all the antiquated facilities, they will also need to put a much more disciplined and guest-oriented management in place.

If you can, book yourself into the new Hilton Garden Inn, or into the Intercontinental that is under construction.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, to a newly renovated hotel with a strong management.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvedere? Share your experiences!