“Not up to standard” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Chur
Melbourne, Australia
“Not up to standard”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Booked this hotel on-line, after reading some OK reviews. Biggest disappointment of out 4 week trip. The hotel entrance was not easy to locate, and the doors appeared to be locked. After some pushing we opened the doors. Reception is on Level 1, and there is no lift, so we dragged our luggage up the stairs. Met by a fairly indifferent receptionist. Room was basic at best. Basin in the bedroom on the opposite side to the bathroom. Floor very uneven, and free-standing wardrobe shook every time someone walked past. Hot day, but no aircon (pretty standard throughout Switzerland), and no fan (the only hotel not to provide one). Breakfast OK in a very dark room. Thank goodness we only had one night. There are much better choices available - see later review. Give this place a miss.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had to find accom in Chur in a hurry, and without my own computer, had to rely on my LP and Rough Guides, which both, suspiciously list this place.

On arrival, I am told that here in Switzerland, they dont accept Visa card transactions unless you have a PIN code, and I only have a signature, cos thats all we need in Australia.

This puts me into a mild panic, cos I think I dont have enough cash to see out my trip if I cant use a credit card. Whats more insulting is that they ask for payment up front.

But what really pisses me off about this place is that every Swiss hotel I go to subsequently, all allow me to process a visa card transaction manually, and those subsequent hoteliers maintain that any Swiss hotel can do it. So I've been sold a lie, and thats why I am down grading this place. The room itself was fine, there was a free internet PC, and the breakfast was fine, but insterad of giving them 4 or 5 stars, they get 2, for being unhelpful, and worse, misleading, because they really caused me a lot of stress for a couple of days.

Consequently I cannot recommend this place. And I curse the useless guide books that sent me there. Happily, I expect that in the near future, internet booking sites will render these books entirely useless for their accom recommendations, and it will serve them right.

Room Tip: find somewhere else using booking.com. Chur should have been a nice place to visit but this experien...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This hotel was something that we expected in the oldest town of Switzerland. Very old hotel, simple room and simple breakfast (only coffee was bad). Atmosphere was quiet and a bit weird but not in a bad way. Staff were nice. Hotel has small elevator but first you have to carry your luggage to the reception situated second floor.
Hotel corridors and our room looked outdated but everything was clean. There was a minibar and little flat screen TV in our room. Room was quite hot because no air conditioning. Free wlan on all rooms but it didnt work very well in our room. It was a pity that the hotel restaurant was closed when we stayed in this hotel.
Hotel is situated in the old town. Good location, everything close. Ten minutes walk from main railway station. Ten to fifteen minutes walk to all attractions of old town.
There are many churches with big bells on the old town of Chur so prepare yourself...

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kingston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Our family of four (two children under 3) stayed here ahead of a trip into Switzerland on the Bernina Express. We only stayed one night, and it was not great - noisy town-clock outside the window - noisy drunk American tourists in the bar across the street - brisk reception staff.

However, as a place to try and rest when there was nowhere else within walking distance of station (15 mins) it did the job.

They should try harder, but in my experience the people in Switzerland are not such a warm collection, so perhaps it's just cultural - and that's why we travel right?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

This hotel is located very close to the train station, in the Alstaad. It is old and one floor up of stairs from the street level. It is a bit outdated with tired decor. The room itself was comfortable with a nice size bed and bathroom. I showed that it had been recently renovated. We found the double sink in the bedroom a bit peculiar but aside from that the room was fine. Wi Fi alive.
The buffet breakfast was fine and allowed us to make nice sandwiches that we took with us to the Glacier Express.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

If you don't mind climbing a flight of stairs to the entrance, you will find very helpful reception and a clean and comfortable room with WiFi and a great hot shower. I believe it is the oldest hotel in Chur which is the oldest city in Switzerland. The adjacent restaurant was charming and the portions were huge and delicious, as was the breakfast. Corridors leading to the rooms are a bit dark and need updating, as does the tiny elevator. The area around the hotel is safe and there is a park nearby where we watched alpine horn players practice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Statesville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Close to train station- took the Glacier Express. Somewhat dated- needs updating. Clean rooms, friendly staff. Good restaurant. Good breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Drei Konige? Share your experiences!