“Outstanding frescoes” 5 of 5 stars

Falls Church, Virginia, USA
47 attraction reviews
“Outstanding frescoes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This UNESCO World Heritage Site is located in a small town near the Swiss National Park. Even if you're here just to hike or ski, this abbey is worth a detour. The unquestioned highlight of the visit is the huge set of frescoes in the church. We visited a lot of old churches, monasteries, and abbeys with frescoes from early medieval times through the baroque. These were the best we saw.

Visited July 2012

New York City, New York
12 attraction reviews
“One of the most beautiful places I've ever been”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

I had to take the Swiss "post bus" to this very unique convent but it is a beautiful trip the whole way. Since I had to stop in Scoul for a night I was able to visit two beautiful nearby towns, Guarda (home of Shellenursli, a famous Swiss children's book character) and Ardez. In Scoul I stayed at an excellent, new Swiss youth hostel very close to the train station.
The post bus travels through the Swiss National Park until arriving at the tranquil, broad valley. The bus will drop you by the Church and convent but remember that the convent and shop are closed for several hours for lunch.
The day I visited in February I had the church to myself. The church functions perfectly as a beautiful frame displaying the most beautiful frescoes I've ever seen. It is a place that I often dream of revisiting. In front of the church there is a smaller chapel where there may be more frescoes yet uncovered.
The post bus will also take you past the Swiss border into Italy where you can spend time in a completely different atmosphere, rent bicycles or catch the train to Milan.