“Wondeful time admiring Jungfrau” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Berghaus
Berghaus, Wengen 3823, Switzerland   |
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Wengen
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Wondeful time admiring Jungfrau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

A friend and I stayed here in July 2011. Hotel Berghaus was a wonderful base for excursions into the hiking trails in the Bernese Oberlands. Wengen was an easy place from which to start each day's excursion whether on foot, by cable car, or by train. The Berghaus was a delightful hotel to return to each evening. The family who run Berghaus were always kind, helpful, and accomodating... whether it was in providing directions, offering assistance, or providing a dinner when we were a little later than expected returning from a hike. I would... and I hope to... return here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Jungfrau
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I arrived in Wengen without a reservation and having done no research. So I was really lucky to have ended up at the Berghaus (a longer story). Five minutes from town, so it was quiet. . . . Beautiful views of the mountains, including the Jungfrau, from my deck and windows. . . . The best breakfasts I had on my six week trip around the world (I still miss them). . . . A very cordial patron and his daughter (he loaned me his walking poles for my four days). . . . Delicious dinners. . . . Other interesting people to talk with at the hotel . . . .And wonderful walks up in the hills and mountains. . . . I loved it, and would go back gladly!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel (could call this home away from home) in Mid August. The warmth of Aldo & his daughter Martina, the special vegetarian food that they prepared for us dinner time, the best view in Wengen you could have of the Alps from their South facing room and to top it - an entire sunny week in Mid August all culminated in us having the holiday of our lifetime thus far. While there, don't forget to try their Garlic Soup. Will have no hesitation to recommend this Gem in Wengen for a holiday stay - their hospitality will make you look forward to returning to your room for a good rest after a full days hike. Whats better than some good warm conversation at the end of the day, compared to a stiff business like approach of a typical hotel.

Room Tip: South facing room for the best view of Alps
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

When I made my reservation for a South-facing room for a six day stay at this small, family-owned hotel, I requested, via separate email, the best available room in terms of view. For some reason, I imagined that the mountains would be only somewhat visible from the hotel's windows, and I wanted to get the best view of them that I could. Silly me. Little did I know how overwhelmed I would be when I arrived in Wengen and actually looked out from my room upon the landscape before me. These are enormous, snow-capped, In-Your-Face mountains (with Jungfrau predominating), and they stand boldly before you in grand array. There is no South-facing room in this hotel that could have anything less than a stunning view. Thanks to the enormous windows and glass balcony door, I had almost a full wall of glass through which to scan the thrilling scene.

It helps that Hotel Berghaus, being a few blocks away from the train station, is situated a little higher up than most of the other hotels in the town, and thus has an unobstructed view. One looks out upon gently rolling, green-green hills; a sprinkling of quaint buildings in the distance (providing scale); and the glorious mountains that loom over all. The hotels further down towards the main street fall all over themselves advertising that they are "close to the train station", and I must admit that at first I fell for this line and had, for a time, a reservation at one of these hotels. But prices of the "close to the train" hotels are very, very high, while Berghaus' are reasonable--and why does it matter anyhow if the Berghaus is a few blocks from the train if, upon arrival, one merely has to call the hotel from the free hotel board at the station and five minutes later a vehicle arrives to ferry guests and their luggage up to the door (the luggage is actually carried to the room for you)? Reverse transport is provided at the end of the stay.

But I learned that there are other reasons why I prefer to stay at a hotel a bit away from the train station and main street: I don't particularly enjoy the commotion of the tour groups that flood the streets and souvenir shops. (The idea of tacky souvenir shops in such a natural environment surprises and bothers me, but I guess these shops are necessary for the town's economy). Who would have thought that people would arrive in tour groups to this little town perched (amazingly) high up on a mountain? While the Berghaus is merely blocks away from all this "excitement" (it's a pleasant walk--maybe 7 minutes), the hotel resides in a quieter, more peaceful world with a forested hill off to one side and the full view of the mountains in front. Twice a day, a farmer drives his small herd of cows past the hotel, and the clang of the bells around the animals' necks is the music of Switzerland. I will always remember that farmer in his tall boots with a stick in his hand, gently prodding the animals on. A delightful image.

The photos on the hotel's website and on booking sites really don't do the Berghaus justice. The photos make the hotel look isolated, and the exterior plainer than it really is. Situated on a sweet, bending street of quaint wooden homes, a bakery and a diminutive mountain church, this cozy hotel is accessible, attractive and well-maintained. There are colorful flower boxes at every window on every level, as is typical for buildings in this part of the country. (Is this a law in Switzerland? Peer pressure? Or just excellent Swiss taste?) Our room was spacious, comfortable, and very clean. The beds were comfortable too. Every day, someone pulled any wilting flowers from the flower boxes on the balcony. Throughout the hotel interior there are images of flowers, and large framed posters of the works of Georgia O'Keeffe fill many a wall. A warm lounge with couches and chairs is off of the front desk, and also serves as a reading room if one so desires. OK, the books there are a little old and limited in subject manner, but who comes to gorgeous Switzerland to read? The dining room is comfortable and the windows look out over that dramatic scene that I described earlier. There is no need to share a table with another party. One can even eat at the outside tables on the patio if weather permits.

This brings me to the food. By all means, sign up for the "half board," entitling you to dinner with your lodging for a price less than what the hotel's restaurant normally charges (breakfast is routinely included with lodging). Meals are VERY expensive in Switzerland (a pizza dinner for two in Lucerne cost us 91 U.S. dollars), and you will not be able to get an equivalent dinner for the price (25 CHF) anywhere. The Berghaus could double the price of their half board and it would still be a reasonable option. While running the hotel is a joint father / daughter effort, it is the father who does the cooking, and, as other reviewers have noted, he is quite the gourmet chief. Google the hotel's website to see examples of the 4-course meals that he serves up. Fish is a speciality, but the meat / vegetable dishes are also wonderful (as are the soups!!!). We were always offered the option of another dish if the evening's menu was not to our liking. And second portions were often encouraged too. Kids are catered to: at a table near ours was a family with young children, and every day the kids requested and received "kid-friendly" meals (what kid likes gourmet food?). Breakfast is buffet style (although hot drinks are brought to your table), with baked goods, cheeses of all sorts, meats, hard-boiled eggs, jams, yogurt, juices, muesli and other items pleasantly displayed.

Daughter Martina is an exceptionally energetic and spunky gal, who never seems to stop running around taking care of guests and other hotel business. She is an avid hiker and skier of the area, so do ask her for advice on which trails are best for you. And check with her each day for the weather forecast--the hotel has access to detailed weather information, and it doesn't pay to go on an excursion or hike if the clouds are going to move in later in the day and cover the peaks. Father and daughter (both of whom speak fluent English) are warm, friendly and welcoming hosts, who were attentive to all our needs. On a day when she knew we were starting out early for a hike, Martina woke up early to make sure breakfast would be out for us. And on the day we missed the last funicular and had to hike to a cable car, missing dinner, she allowed us to dine after-hours when we finally arrived back. I don't know if we would have been treated with such courtesy at a larger hotel.

The Berner Oberland is beautiful--I have been to the Canadian Rockies, Alaska and New Zealand, and I have never seen such glorious mountain scenery. For those of you who are hikers or merely walkers, Wengen--with its easy access via cable car or train to the most famous Berner Oberland trails and mountain-top attractions extraordinaire--is a wonderful town to base yourself in. We found the Hotel Berghaus to be the perfect basecamp. The Mannlichen cable car goes right past the hotel, and its station is only a 4-minute walk away. Even if you don't like to hike, please do take the cable car up to Mannlichen and walk a bit. The trail is basically flat, and the vista is so spectacular that it has to be seen to be believed. (Dates of stay: July 8-13, 2011)

Room Tip: A south-facing room is encouraged
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

My husband and I are just back from 9 days at the Berghaus and we had a wonderful time. The hotel is lovely and homely and Martina and her father are very friendly and helpful. Food was great - the hearty breakfasts set us up for the day and the evening meal was beautifully prepared. Travel from Zurich airport to Wengen was effortless. Highly recommended as a good base for seeing the Jungfrau Region.

Room Tip: Worth booking superior room if you will appreciate the chance to sit on your
MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed there for 2 days in July 2011. The hotel is well located in the town of Wengen, but we were hoping for something more quiet, as advertised. Compared to Gimmelwald, Wengen is much more lively, with loud music in the evenings etc. The hotel itself was ok, a regular bedroom with a nice view on the Alps. Internet access it not free. We had booked 2 nights there, and found out later that dinner and breakfast were included ... but the daily rate was ~260 francs (300 USD) per night for 1 room (2 people). We could have found something either better or cheaper in the region (outside wengen). Everything is touristic and pricey in Wengen.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Berghaus for the weekend, and loved the cozy bed and breakfast feel of this family owned hotel. Martina and her father are welcoming and friendly hosts, volunteering to help with weekend activities, managing the restaurant, and answering any questions you have about Wengen.

The town is a wonderful place to view Jungrau, a great starting point for scenic hiking trails [we went from Wengen up to Mannlichen over to Kleine Scheidegg]. Definitely recommend a south-facing view at the hotel. The balcony views are amazing. You start the day with a nice breakfast - breads, jams (some homemade), cheeses, meats and coffee, tea and juices. You also have the option of ending the day with their four-course dinner (half-board). We took advantage of this, and enjoyed it. The convenience factor is great, the atmosphere, sitting inside or outside after a long day of sightseeing, hiking is just perfect. The portions are just right - typically a nice green salad, a soup, with a main entree, and dessert. One night we had a nice white fish, another night we had veal stew. There is also a comfy living room w/fire place and lots of books if you need something to read.

Thank you to the owners and staff. We had a lovely stay. Thank you for your hospitality. We hope to back again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of Jungfrau. Worth the splurge!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Berghaus? Share your experiences!