“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Wengen
Rhoose, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were here only for one night, but I could have stayed longer.

After a long days walking the welcome was warm and genuine. The rooms were superb with a balcony and stunning views into the valley below/surrounding mountains.

Dinner and breakfast were both excellent.

I can't fault this place - one of the best Swiss hotels I stayed in.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We returned last week after staying 11 nights at the Alpenrose; we have mixed feelings about this hotel and cannot gush about it as other reviewers have done. One reviewer mentioned that as a first timer there you are a second class guest - couldn't agree more with that statement. At mealtimes we were seated initially quite near the door to the restaurant (not nice!). I asked if it would be possible during our 11 nights there to be seated by a window (11 nights is a long time in one hotel). The reply was 'we will try but as returning guests have priority, it may not be possible'. Is our money not as good as the 'returners'. We were eventually moved to a table a bit nearer the windows but as another reviewer has said, why don't they rotate tables so that people get some variety as to where they are sitting. There's a lot of fussing over returning guests, it was a bit stomach churning to be honest and it doesn't make us want to go back.
Also the food - not always very good. This is our 3rd time in Switzerland and the first time we can complain about the food. Very heavy. I had the vegetarian option one night and couldn't eat it; undercooked aubergine topped with a mountain of melted, greasy cheese. Another night we had overcooked beef - this resulted in meat you couldn't cut or chew. Lots of complaints from other guests as well, even the returners. The breakfast was limited to the usual cereal, then eggs scrambled/fried/boiled, and bacon. No grilled tomatoes, sausage etc.
The decor of the hotel is cosy and the dining room is tastefully done.
Our room was at the back as we could not afford the premium of a front room. That was okay as we have stayed in Wengen before and have seen the views. The room was a bit basic for the price. No fridge; it is handy to have a fridge if you are providing your own packed lunches, as happens in this hotel. TV was positioned in an awkward place, very high up at a 'crick your neck angle'. The sheets were only changed once; this is not enough for an 11 night stay.
Overall the hotel is very clean. The setting is very pretty also.
Dining room staff okay; very pleasant.
If you were to ask us if we would return to Wengen we would say yes - it is a beautiful place. If you were to ask us if we would return to the Alpenrose, we would say an emphatic no.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We were pick up at train station by a bellhop which was very convenient. The room is clean, well furbish, and had a lovely view. The staff is friendly & helpful. There's free wifi and the food at the restaurant is very good. This hotel is a great place to stay at when you are visiting Wengen, very close to train station.

• Stayed September 2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our expectations were high and we felt let down on a couple of points. Our welcome was warm and friendly and although the wine waiter was still the same loud wine bully, the remainder of the staff were friendly and helpful. He, on the other hand, approached the table with a loud 'You want wine?' After refusing the very expensive wine with a mark up of 5-6 times the supermarket price he virtually ignored us (Thank goodness). But his voice thundered around the dining room as people were persuaded to buy the wine. The quality of some of the food was not as good as we remembered. My other big disappointment was the fact that we were there a week and the bed linen was never changed. This is not acceptable, especially as the towels were changed every day. Apart from these points, this is a lovely hotel and although its a heck of an uphill trudge into the village it's worth it for the lovely position and views from our room.

Room Tip: Always pay for a south facing room as the room at the back have no views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I called the Alpenrose directly. The owners couldn't have been kinder. This is a hotel that, in my opinion, is all you dreamed the Alps were about... When we entered our room and went on the balcony off of that room, I saw 3 waterfalls...and cried! Absolute heaven. My husband, son and I experienced their gourmet food, their kindly staff and wonderful location that allows you to explore and experience the beauty of the Berner Oberland! Falling asleep at night listening to
the occasional sheep bell ring is awesome.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
High Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I cannot say enough about how incredible the Alpenrose is. Starting with the owners and continuing throughout the entire staff, these are the most sincerely nice folks that I have ever had the pleasure to stay with. Very professional and outgoing in their desire to make your stay memorable. The entire property is beautiful, clean as a whistle. Food and wait staff are exceptional. We cannot wait to return to Wengen and without question, the Alpenrose.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Lauterbrunen valley!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I just wanted to warn people who do there booking from USA, as when I booked my tickets from priceline they booked me for Alpenrose in Saxeton. So here is my story... When I arrived at Zurich, we didn't receive one of our bags, so I had to report it and give hotel names so they can send luggage to our hotels. I call Alpenrose to let them know that our bags will be arriving in Wengen and we won't be there until tomorrow as we were spending 1 night in Lucerne. They were kind enough to let us no that we didn't have any booking with them and check our paperwork. Overall, I can't thank Alpenrose for their kindness and thank you for holding my bag. Please book directly with hotels that you are interested, you can always cancel your booking 24 hours prior to your stay without any cost.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Alpenrose? Share your experiences!