“Our June 2012 stay in Wengen” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Fun & Games in Wengen
Morton, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
“Our June 2012 stay in Wengen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My family of four and myself just completed a 7-day stay in Wengen and we cannot say how much we loved it and were sad to leave.We are a mid-40's couple with a 15-yr old and 10-yr old and all enjoyed the trip. We have stayed in the area 3 times now with the first two trips being shorter stays in Gimmelwald. At this stage, we prefer Wengen. Wengen is a little more family atmosphere and more to do than Gimmelwald. If wanting to stay on the other valley side Murren is a good Wengen alternative but we love Wengen.

We stayed at Chalet Forsthaus and Vreny Imobersteg was a great host. At about 200SFr per day for a family of four with a kitchen, dining room, 3 separate sleeping areas and a balcony to die for (could have stayed there all night) this is the closest thing to 'bargain' in Wengen.

Back to Wengen itself...There is not much cheap here but that describes the entre Jungfrau area and possibly all of Switzerland. However, I have traveled quite a bit and no place is more beautiful and offers more accessibility to mountain action of all sorts while still not feeling too over-touristy as Wengen. The WAB train can take you down to Lauterbrunnen relatively cheaply (connections to other trains) or up to Kleine Sheindegg/Jungfraujoch at steeper prices. The Maennlichenbahn also has cable car rides from the center of town to one of the best hiking places in the Jungfrau region. The town has two grocery stores, two bakeries, many restaurants, a very helpful TI with extended hours and a pool right across from Chalet Forsthaus that is free for the kids (4SFr for adults to swim but can enter bar area for free to sit and watch kids). The pool is immense and has a trampoline and ping-pong table which our kids enjoyed.

I don't know when we will head back but it is certainly a place we will have on our travel circuit and even shortly looked into buying a place until realizing the prices...wow!

Visited June 2012

Singapore, Singapore
47 attraction reviews
“Cable car up to Maennlichen and a nice village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

A quiet little village with a few souvenir shops you can cover in an hour or two. You can take a trip up to Jungfrau top of Europe or a cable car ride up to Maenlicchen where you get a view of all the mountains here. See Eiger, Jungfrau, Schilton and other mountains from there! You can choose to take a cable car to grindelwald from here or hike to klein scheidegg too. Wengen itself is small and quiet, especially in non-winter off peak months. if you are in for nightlife and a more lively town and nice view of mountains, zermatt will be better. but for the view of mountains, wengen is beautiful and leisurely. we love both wengen and zermatt.

Visited June 2012
muscat
“Most amazing Euro Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

Hello all,
I am posting this review 2 months later of our visit, we travelled from 7th Oct to 16th Oct 2011 to Switzerland and France, and First of all I would like to thank our TA Friends who helped me a lot for making this trip wonderful.
My special thanks to these wonderful people, swandav, pore, Hambagahle and of course kimsanjose!!!
We were Husband, Wife and our 7yr old son, starting from Muscat to Zurich
Day1:
Landed @ Zurich Airport by 9 am, we started feeling the comfort at the very first contact with the emigration officer @ the airport. She was very polite and we were delighted by her welcoming expressions, further collected our baggage got fresh at the Airport and directly to the Ticket counter at the Airport Train Station, we got our 8day Swiss pass validated here and checked with the counter regarding the train to Luzern (I must say, since this was our 1st visit to Europe I was little worried in the flight regarding the local train system, but the directions were very clear from the time we landed. Thanks to the fantastic Swiss train system). Finally we were in the train to Luzern.
Since we had plans for this day rather than wasting our time at the hotel in Luzern, we started our packed breakfast in the train; by the time we arrived in Luzern we were ready for the day... Since I had the Euro Maps loaded on to my Smartphone, it was very easy to find our Hotel NH, and we walked all the way to the hotel. Already feeling the Switzerland in the open air outside, my little one was amazed at the ducks by the lake and by the fact that they were not scared of humans. It was here exactly we turned back and say the snow topped mountain of Pilatus!!!!, this was our first direct eye contact with the snow mountains and everyone of us were thrilled, took some snaps and finally reached the hotel in about 15 minutes. Since the check in time was @ 3pm, we dropped our luggage and headed direct to Kriens via the local bus. Unfortunately as we reached the Gondola station @ Kriens the same was closed due to heavy wind & bad weather, we were little disappointed at this point, sat at a nearby bench had a little bit of snacks.
It was time to start with the backup plan; we came back to the main bus station and started to the Swiss Transport museum. We spent the rest of the day here. However we did not regret the visit to the museum especially with the young one, he loved the cars/trains in there and we also managed to see the planetarium here, since this was the 1st visit to a planetarium for my son, he was quite amazed of it. By this time it was 5pm & all of us were quite tired. Returned to the hotel back checked in and relaxed this evening, however I visited the nearby coop and finally we called it a Day hoping for a good weather the next day…
Day2:
We started early finished the breakfast @ hotel and had planned to visit Mt. Titlis, however as kimsanjose says “weather, it will be what it will be” was not favoring our trip to Titlis, however we reached the Train station & checked at the Tourist info office @ the station (I must say here, these people are the most wonderful people we have met in this trip, they are very helpful, although you have planned well, these people’s advice is worth full …) the guy at the Info office advised us to take the Pre Alps Express which travels all the way from “Lucerne > Arth-Goldau > Rapperswil > St. Gallen > Romanshorn” and since he saw my son along with me while enquiring, he suggested to visit the children zoo at Rapperswill. Accordingly we headed to Rapperswill on the Pre Alps Express (voralpen). This part of the journey was not planned; it was fun to do something out of the box. The views were excellent on either side of the train, as the train was empty we were jumping from side to side depending on the Views,@ Arth-goldau it starting snowing!! & was a very wonderful moment for us, as this was our 1st snowing experience (however we wished we were outside the train at this moment). Finally after enjoying some nice scenes across the train windows we reached Rapperswill. At the station checked with the info office regarding the Zoo, they guided us to the zoo which was 10 minutes walk from the train St. Although the Zoo was not as we expected our little one enjoyed at the Zoo, went across the zoo, it started pouring again got our self a shelter and finished our lunch at the zoo restaurant. Finally checked out some more funky camels, bunnies, chipmunks etc and were ready to get back to Luzern. Since I had a plan for the glacier park for the afternoon we left the zoo hoped back on to the Voralpen Express and back to Luzern.
We visited the Glacier Park by around half past 3pm. The park was well worth a visit gives an idea about the glaciers and of course the glass museum inside was like the icing on the cake. My family had a lot of fun inside this glass museum, lots of snaps inside with lots of images of the same person… Finally by the time we came out to check the Lion monument it was 5:30pm. My camera battery had drained for the day unfortunately could not get a snap at the monument. Finally got back to the hotel packed up all the stuff for tomorrows travel to Wengen and rested well at night zzzzz….
Day3:
We started early in the morning, post breakfast we were in the station by 7:40 am, got on to the Golden pass line train to Interlaken. The views very superb, however since we started little early the sky was still grayish. We kept on wondering the weather @ Wengen and the mountains above. We had a plan to stay in Wengen for 4 days (thanks to kimsanjose for making us select this place). In the train as guided by our TA Friends we sat on the right side enjoyed the view. I must say the mountain pass route was amazing, we don’t know the station name which was in between of Luzern and Meiringen but this place was damn beautiful, we wanted to stroll around the place but train stopped there for few minutes. The train next stopped at the Meiringen st for a while, here I was wondering about Grindewald just across the mountain and wished if we could take the imaginary train in the mountains direct to Wengen via Grindewald(just a lot of thinking in mind going on here…). Well the train started to rollback again in the same directions got another view of the landscape finally the train reached the much awaited brienz lake. As many of our TA friends mentioned earlier the whole brienz to Interlaken view was spectacular (I still keep on wondering about the difference in water color here when compared to the other side lake of Interlaken west towards spiez and thun). We finally reached Interlaken; all the way I was looking on top for the sunshine. As we reached Interlaken I hurried to the station info office to check the weather and live feed. It was partially cloudy now and we headed direct to Wengen via Lauterbrunnen.
We had booked at Hotel Edelweiss Wengen, and planned to drop the luggage and start back to Lauterbrunnen and then to Schilthorn, but to our surprise the weather had changed by the time we arrived to Wengen and it was finally sunny!!!! We checked in the hotel by 11:30 am, enquired about visiting schilthorn, the hotel staff were very polite and welcoming, they suggested we visit Jungfrau Top of Europe instead of going all the way back to Lauterbrunnen and then to Schilthorn. Considering the weather we got fresh and started off immediately to Jungfrau. The ice around was very nice; however I felt the journey to the top inside the tunnel a little over hyped. Finally we reached the top; we started on with the Ice Palace, little snaps at this place. My son was quite thrilled inside the ice palace, went to the summit. Here it was like freezing cold the temperature meter read -14 degrees. I must say once need to be fully covered at the outside area, I started gazing at the Sea of Ice here wondering what might be there beyond those mountains, finally got back inside had some snacks and went back again to the outside this time with full gloves and covering ears. We came across many travelers here who were enthusiastic in taking snaps along with their family or friends. In fact 1 Chinese guy requested me to take a picture; well in exchange he did the same to me, and thus we got some family snaps at this place. My wife was amazed at the crows here with yellow beaks. Since we were warned by out TA friends about the shopping here at the Souvenir Shop here, we avoided the crowd and spent some more time inside the observatory behind the glass gazing the Alps. It was almost 4 pm now & we started to get back to the train st. all of us were little tired now relaxed well back in the train, at Kleine Scheidegg my son played a little bit in the ice. We had planned to hike down to Wengen from here but due to heavy snow we could not take this hike, however saw a guy without any shirt hiking in this direction and waving to us inside the train…
It was around 4:40pm now and we did not want to settle inside the room so soon, thus headed to Lauterbrunnen and got a gondola to Grutchalp, Just wanted to show my little one the Gondola, ride which we missed in Titlis and Pilatus. We reached Grutchalp by 5:30 pm, took the train to Murren. Well this had better views compared to the tunnel train to Jungfrau. In fact we got to see both the winter/summer (later) landscape in this area. When we reached Murren the whole town was like deserted and filled with ice, we observed 2 feet ice on the restaurant benches and tables which were kept outside. This experience was something out of box, walked a bit around town and had actually planned to get down via Stechelberg, but it was already getting dark & no one around the ice filled town, we got back to Grutchalp and then back to Wengen via Lauterbrunnen. The views here never ages. By the time we reached our hotel it was 7pm, finished dinner at the hotel and enjoyed the rest of the night discussing about the journey we had today.. Finally I was little relaxed here since we made it to the Top of Europe today and was thinking about the weather for the coming days...
Day4:
We started in the morning post breakfast; today’s program was to visit Schilthorn. The weather was bright and we took the train from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen, then a bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, from here we took the much awaited gondola to Gimmewald and finally to Stechelberg via another gondola. However the gondolas were little crowded as it was a sunny day, we reached schilthorn top by 11am, as kimsanjose mentioned in her posts the view here @ Schilthorn are much more better than the Jungfrau, we were able to see the full range of Ice Topped Mountains. We took a lot of snaps around here, initially the weather was very chilling, I guess later we got used to it and we started to warm up with the scorching sun, I strongly suggest a good sunscreen here. We checked out the Restaurant and the James bond Filming Location here. As expected it was quite expensive @ the restaurant, we had packed some sandwiches and chips. We got a good panoramic poster of these mountain ranges @ the Souvenir shop. Finally my son wanted to play around the ice here, we took a little stairs down which leads to the snow filled mountains, made some snow balls and had little fun around. It was around 2 pm now. We started to descend back to Murren.
@ Murren we walked across the beautiful town, got into some Souvenir shops, my wife picked up a small cow bell here and I was very much moved by a very old poster at this shop, picked it up and since we had planned for a hike from Murren to Winteregg, we got ourselves some water bottles and after some snaps around the town started towards Winteregg. (I wanted to mention here @ Murren we experienced this village in both the summer and winter season, as the town was totally different from the Day 3 visit as mentioned earlier. On Day 3 this town was completely snow filled and felt quite deserted in the evening, however there was an entire different feeling today, it was quite sunny and filled with many visitors in the broad daylight.) Finally we started to walk from Murren towards Winteregg. This was the best hike in my life till date, we had a lot of fun on the way and must say something here “ONE CANNOT TRULY EXPERIENCE SWITZERLAND FROM THE TRAIN WINDOW”, on the way we stopped @ a bench had some snacks took many snaps and the view on the other side of the mountain was overwhelming. Soon the walking path led us into woods and we found some beautiful streams on the way. Later we reached Winteregg, although we wanted to continue this hike till Grutchalp we stopped @ Wilderswil, took the train from here to Grutchalp. And again here we got a chance to ride the gondola from Grutchalp to Lauterbrunnen. Finally we visited the Trummelbach Falls from Lauterbrunnen, it was almost 5pm when we arrived to the falls and they were closing by 5:30, we took the tunnel-lift all the way up & quickly went till the top of the falls via the illuminated caves and were quite amazed at the force of water and the series of glaciers it had created along the way. However we could not take more snaps around here as it was getting dark and there were water drops sprinkling everywhere inside the caves. By this time all of us were tired and we took the Tunnel-Lift back to the bottom of the waterfalls and slowly started towards Lauterbrunnen via the Bus and finally reached Wengen base by 6:30pm. I observed one more thing here; it gets pretty dark early in the valleys although it was still bright up at Wengen above the valley, such transitions are quite natural but we get an amazing feeling at such instances.... We settled down at the hotel had dinner and discussed about the Hike we had and the Schilthorn Top visit. Every one of us slept quite early and just hoping for a good weather for the days to come…

Will Continue Soon...

Visited October 2011
Encinitas, California
35 attraction reviews
“Stunning Alp views with better access to Jungfrau attractions than Interlaken!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Wengen is a small town situated up in the Alps overlooking the town of Lauterbrunnen and about 45 minutes from well knows Interlaken. Best know for one of the major skiing World Cup events; the location is ideal for those that want the true Swiss Alp experience. It is a stop on the very popular Jungfrau train with easy access back to Lauterbrunnen, the Schilthorn rotating restaurant of James Bond fame and the awesome Trummelbach falls. There is a quick gondola ride to the top of the closest mountain right in the middle of town. From here you can take another gondola down to the town of Grindelwald. On top cows roam free and the views are spectacular.

The town itself has about half a dozen hotels, restaurants and a cute but small main shopping street. If you stay here the Swizz Rail Pass is a must since all of these cog wheel trains are not covered by the Eurail pass. In general, the Swiss pass is a better alternative in all of Switzerland than the Eurail.

Visited August 2011