“The Eiger Hotel in Murren is the definition of excellence” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Eiger
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Aegerten, Murren 3825, Switzerland   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Murren
London, United Kingdom
“The Eiger Hotel in Murren is the definition of excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

The Eiger in Murren is a family run hotel that has been run by the same family for over 100 years. The facilities are of course new and commodious.The heated indoor pool and jacuzzi with it's spectacular view of the Eiger adds a finishing touch to being able to truly relax in the tranquility of this lovely place.. The staff were delightful and communicated the family atmosphere and welcome to all of us. Our check out time was unusual and everything was done to accommodate our mountain of ski gear and made allowances for us right up to departure time. We would not hesitate to stay at The Eiger a hotel again anytime!

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We first stayed at the Eiger thirty years ago and since then my wife and I have spent sixteen wonderful holidays at this remarkable Hotel - indeed, we have already booked for next July.
Over the years we have known three generations of the family who own and run the Eiger and many of the staff have become old friends.
At the Eiger you will find that Susanna and Adrian, together with the Eiger Team, make you welcome as soon as you step into Reception. Nothing is too much trouble for them and it will not take you long before you consider yourself part of the family.
I could carry on about the Eiger for hours, but I will rest my case by saying if you do not stay here you will never know what you have missed.

Room Tip: All the rooms are spotless but try and have a room looking south and to the mountains.The first time...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Utica, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed at the Eiger for one night in September. The view from our balcony was outstanding! The room was more than adequate, very clean, good bathroom and good bed. The staff was very helpful to us with restaurant and hiking recommendations. I would stay here again.

portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The warmest welcome I've ever received. So friendly! Not to mention she was efficient and thorough. I was quickly whisked up to my room by the porter. While I knowingly booked a room without a view, it was still momentarily disappointing the moment you actually see the room and confirm there is no view. However this room was a site for sore eyes! It was fresh and updated in the traditional alpine style. It was perfect, simple and luxurious. The L'Occitane toiletries were also appreciated. Next up, I took a dip in the giant pool. So relaxing having the pool and sauna all to myself while staring out on the glorious mountains! At 6.00pm the hotel offered a champagne welcome reception. REALLY! And you know what? Everybody joined! It was great. Nobody was too cool. It was so fun, cozy and festive - low lights, bar maids, champagne bottles poppin'. Made so many friends and became further endeared to the family of owners who personally came around to say hello to everyone. Such warm hospitality. Additionally, the hotel is well-located from every direction - it's just a few steps away from the BLM and is at the very end of town, so you can walk the full length and back quite easily. Breakfast was pretty phenomenal as well. Beautiful, extensive buffet with out of this world views eye level with mountain climbers. Can't say enough about how you should CHOOSE THIS HOTEL. If you're worried about the splurge, make this your splurge. It's worth it. True hospitality. I'd also recommend dinner next door at Eiger Guesthouse. Also exceptionally warm reception, generous hosts, great food and hospitality.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was on a 3 week vacation for my first time out of the country in Western Europe. I had just been to France (Paris & Strasbourg) and then Basel & Luzern so I had seen both good and not so good sides of hotels.

We parked our rental car and took the cable car up to Mürren. We kept walking the main street was we arrived as we discovered Hotel Eiger was all the way at the end of the road which was actually kind of nice.

The staff was amazing, first of all! (Especially after dealing with some icy people in Paris) Susanna and her husband, who pretty much run the hotel were awesome! She could not have been more friendly and made us feel right at home - and not just because it was her job either, I mean we genuinely joked and chatted up a storm.

We had a good sized room and a wonderful view of the mountains. We were only supposed to stay there for two nights and head over to Zermatt but decided we loved it so much we wanted to stay. Susanna was super accommodating and found us a new room (as our room we were staying in was reserved as part of a block of rooms). We were happy they had a room at all as everything was pretty much sold out!

They have an indoor pool which is heated, and an area of the pool that produces bubbles - not quite like a hot tub but you get the gist. The pool had big windows with amazing views of the mountains. There was also a sauna and a tanning bed.

In the morning they have this sweet breakfast buffet with everything you could imagine from scrambled eggs, soft & hard boiled eggs, cereals, meat cuts, all kinds of juices, milk, yogurts, rolls, breads, homemade jams, pastries, croissants, NUTELLA!!! I mean they had it all, it was great! And the dining room for all this has a huge window overlooking the mountains and the rest of the town, while you graze away.

I had never heard of Mürren before this trip, as the person I was traveling with scheduled this leg of our trip, but I definitely want to get back and I would for sure stay at Hotel Eiger. :)

Lebanon, Ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

It was a pleasure to stay in this family run hotel. We were given a room with a balcony overlooking the Eiger and Monk mountains. It was incredible. The hotel is conveniently located across from the small train station and a porter will meet you and bring your luggage. From Interlaken you come by train (make sure you get on the part of the train that goes to Lauterbrunnen because the train splits). Get off the train walk across the street and get on the cable car. Get off that and the smaller train is waiting to take you to Murren which is well worth the visit. The village is a 10 minute walk from one end to another there is a cablecar at the other end of the village you can go up to the schiltorn or down to the next village easily We did the half board and the dinners were delicious. The staff was absolutely wonderful. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was very nice. It was very hard to leave this wonderful place.

Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Trip Advisor rating system only allows 5 stars, but this place deserves more. Not only was the room beautifully appointed, but the staff was exceptional. My wife and I stayed there in September in an upper floor room with a balcony and drop dead view of the awesome trio of mountains. I had a very bad cold which I picked up prior to arrival and because the village does not have a resident doctor, the staff opened up their personal medicine cabinet and gave me some cough medicine and cold tablets to tide me over. But their concern did not stop there-asking me several times a day how we were doing and if I was feeling better. We ran into one of the desk clerks in town, and she came over to my wife and I and took several pictures of us for the memory book. All in all, it was the Eiger Team that made our stay unforgettable, although the pumpkin soup in the restaurant might have had something to do with it too.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room with a balcony. And don't forget your camera!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Eiger? Share your experiences!