“Just perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 13 hotels in Murren
portland
“Just perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The warmest welcome I've ever received. So friendly! Not to mention she was efficient and thorough. I was quickly whisked up to my room by the porter. While I knowingly booked a room without a view, it was still momentarily disappointing the moment you actually see the room and confirm there is no view. However this room was a site for sore eyes! It was fresh and updated in the traditional alpine style. It was perfect, simple and luxurious. The L'Occitane toiletries were also appreciated. Next up, I took a dip in the giant pool. So relaxing having the pool and sauna all to myself while staring out on the glorious mountains! At 6.00pm the hotel offered a champagne welcome reception. REALLY! And you know what? Everybody joined! It was great. Nobody was too cool. It was so fun, cozy and festive - low lights, bar maids, champagne bottles poppin'. Made so many friends and became further endeared to the family of owners who personally came around to say hello to everyone. Such warm hospitality. Additionally, the hotel is well-located from every direction - it's just a few steps away from the BLM and is at the very end of town, so you can walk the full length and back quite easily. Breakfast was pretty phenomenal as well. Beautiful, extensive buffet with out of this world views eye level with mountain climbers. Can't say enough about how you should CHOOSE THIS HOTEL. If you're worried about the splurge, make this your splurge. It's worth it. True hospitality. I'd also recommend dinner next door at Eiger Guesthouse. Also exceptionally warm reception, generous hosts, great food and hospitality.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was on a 3 week vacation for my first time out of the country in Western Europe. I had just been to France (Paris & Strasbourg) and then Basel & Luzern so I had seen both good and not so good sides of hotels.

We parked our rental car and took the cable car up to Mürren. We kept walking the main street was we arrived as we discovered Hotel Eiger was all the way at the end of the road which was actually kind of nice.

The staff was amazing, first of all! (Especially after dealing with some icy people in Paris) Susanna and her husband, who pretty much run the hotel were awesome! She could not have been more friendly and made us feel right at home - and not just because it was her job either, I mean we genuinely joked and chatted up a storm.

We had a good sized room and a wonderful view of the mountains. We were only supposed to stay there for two nights and head over to Zermatt but decided we loved it so much we wanted to stay. Susanna was super accommodating and found us a new room (as our room we were staying in was reserved as part of a block of rooms). We were happy they had a room at all as everything was pretty much sold out!

They have an indoor pool which is heated, and an area of the pool that produces bubbles - not quite like a hot tub but you get the gist. The pool had big windows with amazing views of the mountains. There was also a sauna and a tanning bed.

In the morning they have this sweet breakfast buffet with everything you could imagine from scrambled eggs, soft & hard boiled eggs, cereals, meat cuts, all kinds of juices, milk, yogurts, rolls, breads, homemade jams, pastries, croissants, NUTELLA!!! I mean they had it all, it was great! And the dining room for all this has a huge window overlooking the mountains and the rest of the town, while you graze away.

I had never heard of Mürren before this trip, as the person I was traveling with scheduled this leg of our trip, but I definitely want to get back and I would for sure stay at Hotel Eiger. :)

Lebanon, Ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

It was a pleasure to stay in this family run hotel. We were given a room with a balcony overlooking the Eiger and Monk mountains. It was incredible. The hotel is conveniently located across from the small train station and a porter will meet you and bring your luggage. From Interlaken you come by train (make sure you get on the part of the train that goes to Lauterbrunnen because the train splits). Get off the train walk across the street and get on the cable car. Get off that and the smaller train is waiting to take you to Murren which is well worth the visit. The village is a 10 minute walk from one end to another there is a cablecar at the other end of the village you can go up to the schiltorn or down to the next village easily We did the half board and the dinners were delicious. The staff was absolutely wonderful. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was very nice. It was very hard to leave this wonderful place.

Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Trip Advisor rating system only allows 5 stars, but this place deserves more. Not only was the room beautifully appointed, but the staff was exceptional. My wife and I stayed there in September in an upper floor room with a balcony and drop dead view of the awesome trio of mountains. I had a very bad cold which I picked up prior to arrival and because the village does not have a resident doctor, the staff opened up their personal medicine cabinet and gave me some cough medicine and cold tablets to tide me over. But their concern did not stop there-asking me several times a day how we were doing and if I was feeling better. We ran into one of the desk clerks in town, and she came over to my wife and I and took several pictures of us for the memory book. All in all, it was the Eiger Team that made our stay unforgettable, although the pumpkin soup in the restaurant might have had something to do with it too.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room with a balcony. And don't forget your camera!
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here for a week, skiing in March this year. Highly recommended. Would happily return. Extremely courteous restaurant staff overseen by Fritz the Head Waiter. The owner and his wife were usually at Reception and always on hand to help and advise. Service and Food standards were high at every meal and the buffet style breakfast; starters and salads offered plenty of choice. Superb views of the mountains opposite with the Eiger taking pride of place.
The skiing was very good and a short train ride to cross to the other side of the valley makes it possible to ski in Wengen as well.
Will return.

Room Tip: The back rooms are a little dingy, but spacious.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sassenheim, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The last week of September enjoying the hospetality which makes this stay to something really special! The trip was even better due to the fact that we had superb weather conditions. It was almost like a real Indian Summer. Hiking conditions were excellent. After a day of walking through the mountains, swimming in the pool makes it even better. Relaxing 2.0.

The peace of travelling by train is a new chapter for me but it works out perfect. It's easy, convenient and reliable! We will be back.

Room Tip: Overlooking the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau is so good. Frontside!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Hotel Eiger was simply amazing. My husband and I stayed during the middle of September for a romantic and active (lots of hiking) two nights for my birthday and our anniversary. The owners made us feel welcome from the second we arrived. The hotel is beautiful with classic mountain resort details. Our room was perfect. We had a suite with a breathtaking view of the Alps. We loved sitting out on our balcony and taking in the view and fresh air. The bed was very comfortable and the master bath had a luxurious soaking tub. Breakfast and dinner were both delicious. For dinner my husband and I had two different preparations of the venison and we loved them both. For breakfast there was a huge buffet with American and continental options.
The owners have a cocktail hour on Thursday nights. We had a great time chatting with the owners and getting a chance to mingle with other vacationers. The free champagne was a great touch, especially since it was my birthday. The owners made celebrating my birthday at Hotel Eiger better than celebrating it at home.
We only stayed two nights, but wished that we had planned a week or more. The hotel was perfect and Murren has a very long list of activities for every season. We will definitely go back for a longer stay.

Room Tip: You should definitely splurge for a room with a balcony on a high floor or a suite. The views are a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Eiger? Share your experiences!