“We miss you Chalet Bobs!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chalet Bobs

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murren
Chalet Bobs
You added Chalet Bobs to your Saves list
CH-3825 | Unterdorf, Murren, Switzerland   |
Spokane, Washington
“We miss you Chalet Bobs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Chalet Bob’s, oh how I miss you! This is a long, wordy review so I’ll get to the point—yes, I would recommend this place for your stay in Murren. We stayed in this quaint little chalet for three days in late June 2011. Located at the far end of town, under the Schilthorn cable car and on the road to Gimmelwald, we arrived toting our backpacks and in awe of our surroundings. On the door was a note from Kitty and Albert (the owners) welcoming us and letting us know which apartment was ours. We were given the middle floor that is entered at ground level. The door was unlocked and we found the apartment to be clean and well-equipped. Our apartment was a one bedroom with living room, kitchenette and bathroom. There was another door that may have gone to a second bedroom, but it was locked so we are not sure if this was part of the apartment or something else. Regardless, there was quite enough space for two people. The kitchen has everything you need to cook, even a few dry goods like sugar, coffee and spices. Speaking of which, if you’re coming from the U.S., take note that the oven is not in Fahrenheit in Europe. We actually forgot this for a few moments while attempting to cook a pizza (purchased from the Co-op).
A few hours after we arrived, we met Kitty who was ever so hospitable and spoke English. We learned as much German as we could, but we traveled for month in Europe and had to learn some French and Italian as well, so we appreciated that the communication barriers were lessened. Later, we heard Albert playing his alphorn from his patio. Having never heard the alphorn played, I was struck by the beauty of its melancholy melody. As Albert practiced his instrument, paragliders sailed down from a highpoint above. Coupled with a view so breathtaking that words cannot do justice (I mean, the Alps are right there out the window), I felt so overwhelmed by the beauty of it all, that I actually got a little weepy (shhh…don’t tell anyone).
There is no internet access but there is cable television with three channels in English (CNN, BBC and something else). As previously mentioned, the apartments have kitchenettes which are a blessing considering the STEEP prices in the restaurants. The average prices are about 30 francs for dinners like schnitzel or steak and fries or 10 francs for a dish of ice cream. We ate out the first night at Edelweiss but picked up groceries for the remainder of our meals at the CO-OP grocery store. This is a Swiss chain and you can find everything you need for meals there, just make sure you check the hours-- closed on Sunday and they close for a few hours in the afternoon before opening back up and operating until 18:30 on other days.
As I write this review, it is the eve before our departure. We hiked down to the valley floor twice and back up and once down from the Schilthorn (if your knees can take it, do it; it’s about a three hour hike, though, so take water) and it was so nice to have a quiet place to end the day. With that said the upstairs apartment has been vacant until about 2 hours ago and let me tell you, they are LOUD. This could be their two kids running around or it could be a symptom of thin walls and floors. Just something to keep in mind, if you’re the persnickety type. Regardless, Murren now holds a special place in our hearts and Chalet Bobs was an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

We booked our room thru the website www.boebs.ch . After checking the availability I requested to stay, the online calendar was a little off of what was available but there was an opening when I needed it. Emailing was mostly good with some delay in response. A deposit check was requested and mailed to Switzerland to secure the room. The check took less than a week from California USA to arrive.

The Apartment was located at the very edge of town on the road to Gimmelwald. It is the last house on the right on the road down, right under the Gondola lift lines (just look for the sign). There is a climb every morning up into Murren for food and other things. It's not far but is a little steep. This may not be the most convenient location but let me just say the view makes up for this in a big way. Go to the website and see the pan view. This is the actual view and let me say it is much better in person, absolutely incredible! There are cows grazing field right under the window as well as a flowing river which adds peaceful sounds of bells and water while you gaze at the incredible mountain scenery. This has to be the most scenic place I have ever been.

The apartment was nice. It had more room than the other rooms we rented for our trip. It is not large by US standards but for Euro standards it is roomy. The kitchen was nice and a real money saver since most things in Switzerland are very expensive including restaurants. We purchased food at the CO OP (town market) next to the ATM and it saved us a ton on food. The bed was comfortable and good size. The shower was the typical euro shower enclosure the water was regulated but was nice and hot. There were only 2 of us but there is a whole extra room available if you have a family. Things would get tight but manageable. Overall this was one of our best accommodations in Europe on this trip.

If you need WIFI, since it is not available in room, the Post Office has free WIFI off the front of the building. Eiger Guesthouse also has WIFI available just ask. This was critical for our Skype calls every evening; this is also a money saver if you have a laptop.

Exploring the region can be expensive as some trains and Gondolas are MUCH more expensive than the standard destinations. I would say spend the money since this region is so incredible we had 3 days traveling here and it was not enough, I could have stayed much longer, it is so beautiful you will want more. For us Murren was perfect, Gimmelwald was too small and Wegen was too big so Murren was just right. I would consider Wegen next time the view was not as good but the shopping and services were in better supply.

If you have the opportunity to see this region go. It is breathtaking. It is similar to Yosemite but on an even grander scale if you can imagine that. If I were anywhere close to this area I would not miss it. We rode the train all over Northern Italy and the whole mid section of Switzerland and this was the most incredible place we saw. Bobs Chalet is a gem if you can handle the morning climb to town. For about the same price as the hotels you get an apartment with more room and way better scenery. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Chalet Bobs? Share your experiences!