“The worst hotel ever” 1 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Hoheweg 211, Interlaken 3800, Switzerland   |
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Interlaken
“The worst hotel ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We booked the Swiss panorama tour and were given this as a five star. The hotel is very close to the station and the exterior and the entrance may make you start believing that it to be a perfect place for a stay. We were taken by a shock when we entered the room. It was the smallest room that I have ever seen in a 5 star. Though the tour operators played smart but I was shocked to see that size in any 5 star. It lookes like a still from a dilapidated Victorian house. our room no was 319

Things that went wrong-
1.) the housekeeping standard is very low. There were hair at several places in the washroom.
2.) they are yet to graduate to a smart card system. You get extremely heavy keys that annoy you all the time. Our door had a problem and it could not be opened unless pulled with a strong force. When we complaint about it, we had to wait for 30 minutes before someone came and told us that not every thing is perfect and we have to deal with it
3.) there was no tea/ coffee machine
4.) once housekeeper dumped our smokes and trash in the dustbin in the washroom and forgot to take it. When we asked for someone to clean again we were told that housekeeping people have gone and their is no one to clean that.
5.) the staff at the reception is most of the time busy. To me they were overburdened and had too much on their plate.

The only good things abt the hotel were breakfast and the pool. though there were no soaps or sanitizers in the toilets of the pool area and had to be asked for.

To me just going by the quality of service this hotel should not be rated more than a 3 star. You should only stay here if you do not care about hygiene, staff friendliness or really have money too waste. Please stay away from it. It's the worst 5 star hotel I have ever stayed in.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

There are apparently only 2 5 star hotels in Interlaken and this one at least is marketed as a 5 star hotel to tour groups from the far east who want 5 star. The owner has rented the hotel to the Lindner group who do the marketing for it. The staff seem a bit harassed at times though there were some very friendly ones who did their best to be helpful. The rooms were a bit mixed, we had 5 rooms and some were small and old and some were larger and more modern. No air conditioning in August was a problem for us. Wifi only in the lobby too. The breakfast was good enough but not 5 star special. Noisy too with lots of children. We would not stay here again and recommend carefully looking elsewhere. Forget the star rating, read reviews and ask the questions about things important to you.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights late August. The welcome was friendly and efficient. Parking easy and free.

The hotel is a grand old victorian building, Ground floor, reception areas and resturant/bar are of a high standard.

Our room was on the fourth floor right over the main entrance with a big balcony. The room was huge by european standads but a little faded. If you want a modern hotel this is not for you, however if you are familiar with the English victorian often sea front hotels - this is what you get. The large bed was comfy, no tea/coffe making facilities, carpet a little worn and stained, furniture of an old stye but adequate. Mini bar - opened with a key on you room key fob. Great views of the mountains. Only complaint I had was that the occupants of the next door room smoked heavily on their balcony and it filled our balcony with smoke and our room too if the door/window was open. If a hotel is non smoking then it should be all non smoking.
Breakfast was amazing, great service, great choice and top quality. If i go back to Interlaken then I will stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great location for Interlaken and the train stations.
The hotel looks fantastic from the outside, and the ground floor/lobby/restaurant areas are lovely.
Our room was a reasonable size, had a small balcony and a really great view of the town and the Jungfrau.
Breakfast was great - a really good selection, and a glass of Prosecco too! The staff who work in the breakfast room are lovely, especially Lisa who was cheery and helpful.
There is a tiny cupboard next to reception with a computer in it allowing internet access for free, but you might have to wait as there's only one computer.
We used the swimming pool, steam room and sauna and really enjoyed it.
I have to say however - "5 star" this hotel most definitely is not. The room was not exactly clean - the carpet was stained. It's the only 5 star hotel I've ever been in where I felt that I had to use the complementary slippers solely because I didn't trust the carpet! We did have housekeeping every day (it seemed somewhat half-hearted on the first day, good on the other 3 days) but the room just didn't ever smell clean. I felt that the carpet needed replaced and the stained sofa bed needed thrown out. The furniture and decor just isn't up to '5-star' standard. There is no air conditioning which is really desperate on hot days - we kept the desk fan on all the time and opened a window, but I didn't sleep for two of the nights just because of the heat and stuffiness. The room was quiet however.
I was really quite disappointed in the bathroom - it was clean, but youth-hostel basic, and the door handle was almost coming off. In fact the whole hotel has an air of an old '5-star' hotel that's long past its best, and has been bought over by someone who is trying to run it on a much smaller type of budget.
The front desk staff seem a little abrupt, but I expect that they have to deal with a lot of complaints, judging by other reviews!
It is in a good location, but I have to say that all things considered, I was really glad to leave!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

When I was doing research on hotels on Interlaken, location was an important factor to me.
Though I have to concede that some fellow reviewers' criticism on the lack of luxury and flair of the hotel is rightly true and falls short of many's expectation of a five-star hotel, it was good for my visit to Interlaken because:

1. Close to Interlaken Ost Station, even with our big luggages, it was a comfortable walk from the station to the hotel. (they also have a free coach to transport guests to the station on request. Not sure if they offer free pick-up as I only requested for it when we left.) it was because I planned to visit those towns up in the Alps across a few days, instead of staying in one of them. And because I didn't want to transfer my big luggages from the Golden Pass trains onto the much smaller cog trains and walk uphill with all our luggages.

2. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel. The hotel gives guests free bus tickets for the period of stay.

3. Given its location, comparing with other adjacent hotels, it provides relatively comfortable accommodation. The breakfast, though without much wow factors, had a good selection.

To be fair, Interlaken is touristy city maybe more oriented to tour groups or first-time Switzerland visitors like myself. I visited it during off-peak season hence a lot of the smaller hotels in the Alps e.g. Wengen are not open and those towns were extremely quiet during my visit, which was a double-edged sword. However, I enjoyed visiting those little towns on our own without other fellow tourists. That said, the hotel of the standard and with the facilities of those of Lindner Grand Hotel was good for my purpose. I wanted a modern (cf trendy) hotel at a convenient location. If you look for a touch of luxury and wow factors, maybe, try somewhere else. Regarding the air conditioning, i can't comment as my season did not require it.

Few other things, Internet wifi available in lobby free of charge, while in-room Internet is costly and charged by time. The water boilers are not given in the rooms but will provided upon request. The reception staff (many of whom are from Germany) were professional and spoke good English and High German, as Lindner is, I heard, a German group company.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed at the Lindner Grand for 3 nights in the last week of July. The good things first. The hotel has an old world charm. Our room was on the third floor in the front. Probably one of the biggest rooms. It was huge with enough space for a third bed that we had requested for our son. The location of the hotel is good as it is near the Ost Railway Station (note this is the more important station as all trains go from here). However, it was a bit of a walk to the centre of town. Breakfast was included and was quite substantial.

For a luxury hotel I was surprised there was no tea-coffee making machine. This is a big black mark for me. Also internet in the room is very expensive. Wifi at the lobby is free though. When will European hotels learn to provide free internet like the Asian hotels? Another issue was the lack of airconditioning. It had become hot and the small table fan provided was just not adequate. I noticed that even where there are airconditions in European hotels they are not very effective. This hotel did not even attempt to try...

For the price I paid I expect tea-coffee machine, free internet and a working airconditioning system. There are many hotels in Interlaken. Some of which are equally classic. The picture of the hotel is a bit misleading. It is not as if the hotel sits on miles of greenery. The main road is right next to the property and the driveway is nowhere near as long as it is shown.

Room Tip: Ask for a drop to the station. It is free. Also, ask for a front facing room as you get to see the m...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We should have known better, always check for air conditioning in Europe. With their 5 star Swiss rating, we forgot to do so. They do provide a small fan.
The current Trip Advisor rating of 3 1/2 stars is accurate. The remaining vestiges of a once grand hotel are pleasant...especially the original 1900 public facilities. However, the towels were thin, only one boullion cube size soap for 2 guests.
probably refurbished around 1980...good bathrooms with 2 sinks. fabric covered (hides the cracks) walls. Dirty, thin carpet in the room. Friends complained about how low the beds are.
Oddly, they do not charge extra for a balcony. If you reserve a room, request one in the midddle tier, floors 2, 3, 4, or 5..
Breakfast was OK...decent fruit selection, lots of cold cuts and cheeses, fresh, cooked to order organic eggs...which you must request. Dining room fare is OK for lunch...very expensive in the evening. Comp internet in the lobby. Front desk staff speak English, can be helpful with tourist info but not with room problems. they have zero authority so you have to ask for a manager.
Now this once grand hotel seems to cater to oriental tour groups.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Lindner Grand Hotel Beau Rivage? Share your experiences!