“May be a hostel but good value for families on a budget” 4 of 5 stars

You added Funny Farm Hotel to your Saves list
Funny Farm Hotel
Hauptstrasse 36, Interlaken 3800, Switzerland   |
York, United Kingdom
“May be a hostel but good value for families on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

We were supposed to be camping but due to heavy rain needed to find somewhere to stay. The Funny Farm was perfect - a 4 bedded hostel style room with bunk beds and one of those funny (airline style) plastic bathrooms. Functional and clean, we had a large balcony.

Large grounds with pool, which we swam in despite the rain. Comfortable bar with pool table. Mainly backpackers staying but we did not feel out of place, kids loved the huge St Bernard Dog that lived there.

Only criticism is that the hotel is need of a lick or paint and the grounds could do with some updating.,

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We expected the funny farm to be a hostel but we got our own room between three of us. It was about 125 francs per night so it was not cheap - but the hotels in town are more expensive. Checkin was quick and they were helpful in booking us an excursion. The rooms are very stale and the comforter and pillow stunk like something very funky. The beds were dank and moist and not at all comfortable. We did have a great view though!

Despite having booked a triple room, we got only two towels. We asked for a third and were told that if we wanted a third we would have to pay for it. How ridiculous?
The breakfast is a huge rip-off. You are better off walking to the supermarket and buying your own breakfast.

On our last day, we were woken up to the sounds of drilling at 7:45 AM. We went out into the hall and asked the staff to stop. They stopped briefly but resumed around 8:30. Then the drilling became drilling and hammering. That was lovely. We spoke to the reception and voiced our displeasure and all we got was an insincere "I'm sorry" with a horribly rude smirk. Drilling and hammering any time before 11 is not appropriate. This place is poorly run.

Stay elsewhere but I would still recommend that you visit the Guinness tent in the back of the Funny Farm. Jelly, the eastern european born bar-tender back there is great fun and it is a good place to just chill with other backpackers.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

This place is awful. I only stayed here one night and never want to go back again. The place looks nice enough, but it's all a mask.
During my stay one of my friends and myself woke to find ourselves covered with bed bug bites and the little creatures walking over the bed. I'm now covered with bites, because the hostel doesn't know how to clean and disinfect beds or there rooms. When asking for a refund, we were given the cold shoulder even after showing them proof of the bugs. Stay away from this place if you can and look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Basel, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

Ok, so this place is not clearly signed.....I wandered up and down the street past it about 4 times before I finally looked up to the sky (in desperation I think) and saw the sign right on the top of the building about 50-60 ft up in the air! Now why didn't I think of looking there first now???

The lobby/bar area is nice, as is the little garden area out the back. There are 2 dogs living at the resort as well, which are nice (if you like dogs....) There is parking if you need to park. Other than that, I was not impressed at ALL by this hostel, and I have stayed in some baaaaad hostels in my time...

First off, the staff do not have a great attitude...they will DO what you need them to do (ie...book an excursion etc) but with a *sigh* and a "I can't be bothered" type of attitude, which when you ask very nicely, I just think is very unprofessional (bearing in mind it's the same staff for the HOTEL as well as the hostel, I would be even MORE annoyed if I was at the hotel, and the staff were like that!)
Next the rooms....oh the rooms!! I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm, which SERIOUSLY needed updating. The carpit was brown and orange, and the curtains were brown flowerly ones, which were so thin, as soon as the sun came up at about 6am or something it woke everyone up. The bathroom was put in the room as an after thought, so you stepped up into a little rickerty room. The shower head was waist height, and my head touched the ceiling when I was having a shower. Also if someone was in the shower, you could not use the loo, which was annoying (plus walls very thin, if you know what I mean.....)

The rooms were meant to be cleaned daily, but obviously the bathroom wasn't as make-up etc was still everywhere when I came back in the evening in the smae place. I am not especially tall, 5 ft 9, but I found the beds very short, and my feet touched the end, which was irritating, even though I was right up the top of the bed. Beds VERY uncomfy, mattresses sunk in the middle, and the edge where people sit on the edge of the bed, so you feel like you are rolling out in the night. No ladders for top bunks... Mattresses also too big for the bed frames, so you can feel the bars on each side.....very irritating.

There are no lockers in the room or in the vicinity at all as far as I am aware, and when I am travelling, that's a must for me. I therefore had to sleep with my handbag in my bed, as i do not trust people in hostel rooms (sorry, but I dont!)

It is about a 20 min walk to Interlaken west, and even more to (or from) Interlaken East train station, although on website says only 15 mins. Not the case, and with heavy baggage, this is not good. Get the number 5 or 4 bus if you can and get off at Hotel Sonne, and it is right next door pretty much. Once checked in, they do give you a free bus pass, which is quite useful.

The breakfast is 10 francs, which is a bit of a rip off. If you cannot be bothered to go out and explore for breakfast, then a good option. It is a buffet style breakfast, with the usual cereal, toast, fruit, tea, coffee etc, and is better than your average hostel breakie, but for 10 francs, you would expect so. Go have a look first I would suggest.

Overall, not a good experience, and would not stay again......

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

Very dated decor and rooms, although perfectly friendly and clean.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

We stayed for four nights early in May of 2009. We had asked for a double bed but they gave us bunk beds for the first night. We were then moved to a room with a double bed but wow the place smelled like smoke and the only way we could breathe was to open the windows wide. The carpets were old and we kept our socks on to move around the room. There were marks on the wall that looked like old food.
The staff were friendly enough but the place was not worth the price, in fact it would have been a bad deal at half the cost. The place needs a lot of work in order to recommend it.

Once upon a time this was a class place but it has fallen on hard times or the owner just does not care.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

Sadly the only thing funny about the Funny Farm Hotel is the patrons in the downstairs nightclub (open midnight - 4am).
Location is about a 20 minute walk to the main town centre. Probably longer in winter. There is a night club downstairs that during summer seems to attract the locals who spend too much time working closely with paint thinner, with baseball caps at jaunty angles and trousers that don't fit right. One even did a jaunty baseball cap dance - very funny.
Anyway, during winter I'm sure the night club rocks, probably not the best if you want to get some sleep as the majority of rooms are situated right above the nightclub. We were on level 5 (no lift) and could hear the club. Marvellous.
There is another hotel nearby with a club downstairs too, you could try both clubs in one night. The joy!
Check in is a pretty slow process. If your room key works, it might stop working later when the next front desk shift starts. This is really annoying and not at all funny. Curious maybe, but not funny.
Breakfast at CHF10 is a rip off and almost impossible to do a runner from. It is charged separately to the room. Odd but not funny. Also limited choice as you're quite some way from town, however I'd suggest making the trip. Difficult in winter no doubt.
The bedroom floor creaks. This irritates companions who don't wake up laughing so it's probably not that funny.
There are no towels, byo.
On the plus side, linen was clean, it is relatively cheap, there is a car park, the bar is ok, there are drunk American girls hanging around, ummm, that's about it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Funny Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!