“They have bed bugs!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Funny Farm Hotel to your Saves list
Funny Farm Hotel
Hauptstrasse 36, Interlaken 3800, Switzerland   |
Ontario. Canada
“They have bed bugs!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

Long story short: they have BED BUGS and I got FLEAS from there! I wish this were an exaggeration. This is not. It happened, and I hate to think someone else will go through what I have. It was filthy. The place has a stale cigarette smell, thick dust everywhere, and even had really old food under the bed! They have dogs running around everywhere (the owner's). It was filthy, stunk, and a total waste of my time, money, and energy. I booked two nights. Stayed one, and woke up with bugs literally sucking the blood out of me. It was the worst experience I've ever had: waking up to bugs sucking my blood. They refused to refund my money for the second night. I got ripped off but was more than eager to get out. I got fleas for the remainder of my month back-packing from this place. DO NOT GO HERE! You've been warned! This place is more rotten than I can describe. Utterly disgusting.

Stayed July 2007

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

I have stayed in quite a few hostels and have to say this was the worst i have ever been to. went with a group of 4 people (3 guys and me) so we booked a private shared room for us. when we walked in, it was so small, so dingy, the beds were extremely uncomfortable, no curtains on our windows (which made changing at night very difficult as both our windows backed onto the large bar areas) and no sheets on the bed except for a dirty army blanket.

The worst was still to come. They had one shared bathroom for males and females, with 3 showers for a block that would probably house on average about 50 people. and 5 toilets that were same sex as well. needless to say the bathroom facilities were absolutely vile on saturday and sunday mornings. i would feel more comfortable squatting in the bushes.

hostels can be a really cheap way of accommodation, but do yourself a favour and lash out a few more pounds and actually stay somewhere that you prob won't pick up a thousand diseases at.

• Liked — The fact that we were only there for 3 nights - i would have been in hell otherwise
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING - mainly the unhygienic bathroom/shower conditions
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2006

As soon as we drove into the parking lot we new we had made a huge mistake! The parking lot was full of trash and odd scraps of JUNK laying about. As we entered to check in the main room isn't so bad if you are animal friendly. We saw about five dogs just roaming arond the place including eating areas.
We knew that we had booked a hostel and didn't have high expectations to begin with. When we opened our room door a smell of damp musk rushed over us. The floor was a matted brown carpet with large black worn out spots. The best part was the bathroom. It was covered in brown laminate flooring not only on the floors but on the walls as well!!
The back garden and pool area is much nicer than the hotel it's self. I personally would have rather had clean carpet than a pool.
Needless to say we were only there for one night of the three nights we booked. We found a nice hotel about 35km away. It only cost around 20 pounds more than the funny farm, and it came complete with sauna, jacuzzi, nice restaurant, bar etc.
Funny farm was not eager to give us our money back for the two nights we did not stay. After a well arguement on our side they did give us a refund for the unused two nights. If you are just wanting somewhere cheap to stay, don't stay here!! I would rather stay in a cardboard box than stay at the funny farm ever again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — the website is one big lie
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
the netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2006

I would only recommend ff if you want to pay A LOT OF MONEY in a room that is completely overpriced. I stayed in a double room and payed 100 francs!!! for 1 night for a super small room which everything was so old from the rug in the floor that seem that it has never been changed, the bunk beds were in terrible conditions and very uncomfortable, and the balcony faced the parking lot where all the tourist buses arrived...not to forget how dirty was the balcony. The bathroom was the only thing clean and THANK GOD because for 100 francs something had to be good. I went to change the location of my room since I had reserved it for 2 1/2 months in advance and the guy that works at night was so rude and impolite and got angry w me for asking him for another room considering the conditions of the room and the amount I paid but he felt I was out of placed since I "only 100" francs. I am sorry but this "funny" guy is the most bipolar funny guy i have met and i have never paid so much for a double in a hostel. so i don't recommend Funny Farm unless your humor is so good that you will be able to laugh when you see the rooms and the BREAKFAST.

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2005

funny farm's cast of arrogant employees (yet they work at a disgusting hostel, go figure) and it's indescribable uncleanliness create a pretty depressing environment. if it wasn't for everything that surrounds the ff, like the alps and all the adventurous stuff to do, this interlaken trip would have been useless. do not go to ff, don't waste your time, and a little secret, no more hemp shops around, so the old ways of forgetting about the ff's disgust are no longer easily accessible.

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2005

Rooms loud at night. People partied til 5am. Stay here only if you want to party and do extreme sports. Not fit for regular backpackers. Breakfast was good though.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Funny Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!