“Wonderful Place to Stay! So comfy, cheap, and clean!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rugenpark B&B

You added Hotel Rugenpark B&B to your Saves list
Hotel Rugenpark B&B
1.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Rugenparkstrasse 19, Interlaken 3800, Switzerland   |
Ranked #4 of 51 Interlaken B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City
“Wonderful Place to Stay! So comfy, cheap, and clean!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2007

I did a lot of research when looking for places to stay for a tour of France and Switzerland with a friend over over winter break. I found the Rugenpark right here on travel advisor and booked it through the B&B's website. The reviews sounded good, I was struck by all the mentions of great hospitality, and the price was right for two students.....

So...Imagine getting in late on a train, having traveled all day, carrying heavy backpacks, having stayed in a somewhat filthy place the night before for far more expensive then the Rugenpark..... and opening the door to your room to find the place absolutely spotless with wonderfuly warm and fluffy white comforters, little Toblerones on your pillow, and hot cider and biscuts waiting just for you!

This place really was wonderful. It was always very clean, nicely decorated, with lovely little personal touches abound (matching trashcan/ lampshades/curtains). Breakfast was tasty and abundant, the location is perfect- just a few blocks from the train station.

And the service! Chris and Ursula really do make you feel at home, and are very very hospitable and helpful providing us with maps, weather reports, and even a spare snowsuit when we wanted to go sledging! I can not say enough good things about this place.

The building where this B&B is located does seem to be a bit old , the floors were a bit creaky etc, but it seems that they have done the best they can with the building and with the price and all the wonderful personal touches at the Rugenpark, I really do recommend this place wholeheartedly!

• Liked — Hospitality
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2007

We stayed in the hotel, as we had read rave reviews in tripadvisor. However, while the owners are clearly professional and provide a very good service in terms of information about the town, the attractions and the places to go, we felt that the hotel amenities were not impressive. The floor of our room was uneven, giving one a 'drunk' feling getting around and every step was accompanied by a very load creaking of the floor boards. The bathroom was tiny but functioned appropriately. The breakfast was fine.

• Liked — Friendly Hosts
  • Disliked — Creaky floor boards
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Basel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2006

This is the best ever hotel we have seen. The hosts are extremely friendly, the breakfast was excellent. Our trip was one night and two days. The hosts made our trip very comfortable and a lovable one. We have been to several places after this trip but we cannot forget this experience.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2006

We stayed at Rugenpark for 8 nights in September (would have stayed longer if time permitted) and the experience couldn't have been better. From the welcoming drink to the nordic beds, private facilities and a balcony with mountain views - it was great. Hosts Ursula and Chris and Monty the dog went out of their way to ensure our stay was memorable. Yes the house is old and a bit creaky and the floors have a bit of a slope (fun to slide on wearing socks) but for hospitality, comfort, price and location we would stay there again and again. The breakfast everyday was a bonus, although being Aussies bacon and eggs a couple of times would have gone down a treat. It is only 3 mins from the train/bus station and supermarket/shops and Chris and Ursula's knowledge of the area meant we didn't miss a thing. We are in our 50's and travelled through Europe for ten weeks staying in everything from backpackers/pensions to 5 star hotels but our best and most memorable stay was at Rugenpark. Thanks Chris, Ursula and Monty - we will be back!!!

Stayed September 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2006

We decided to stay at Rugenpark because of the reviews. It is true that this property is close to everything and its rate is cheap. It is also fair to say that Chris and Ursula go that extra mile to make guests feel welcomed. BUT........ This place is run down and in need of major repair. We stayed one night and it was clean but I would not say comfortable.

I must confess that in all the reviews not one person mentioned the creaking hallways, uneven stairs, thin walls you could hear the toilets flushing all night long. Oh I almost forgot the best part , with each step you take across the floors you will feel as though any minute the floor will break through and you will wind up on another level. LOL. Lets not forget the slooping of the bedroom floors either. Once in your room you could slide into your bed as the floors were all on a slant. Both my husband and I laughed as we sled across the room. Thus the name "Fun House" The bathroom is a whole other story and quite honestly it was without a doubt the most ugly room I ever witnessed. Again we laughed as it looked like someone just got sick and it stuck to the walls. Aside from that if you had to get into the tub be prepared to step on this plastic thing which I think is a step stool but I opted not to and passed on the shower. The bedroom does offer a sink to wash up in and as I stated earlier we were just one night so at the next location I was able to shower. Now I know why so many air freshners in our room (we counted 4) and of course durning your entire stay you will smell incense burning. I could not wait to get to the next location to shower and wash my clothes.

Overall I loved Interlaken but was disappointed with Rugenpark. I would recommend the area but not the property. Chris and Ursula are wonderful hosts and try to make up in personality what this property lacks. Please if you decide to stay here go with a sense of humor because it will be a whole new experience.

It is true that Chris and Ursula are most helpful and that they do not own this place but rent it and they do have a goal. I think that goal is to make as much money as they can in a short time and move on. That is my recommendation. Move on as well but just in case you decide to stay reread the reviews and be aware that most of them say how helful the hosts are but not much about the room. Also if you have any valuables be sure to keep them with you or locked up things have a way of walking in this place.

After checking out we ran into another guest who mentioned that they were booked for three nights but left after one because they were disappointed with the accomodation. They were a young couple and said "staying at Rugenpark was like that of staying at an adult hostel" I say if you decide to stay there you get what you pay for and will need a sense of humor.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — ugly rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — if price does not matter pass on this one
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

This is my first time to have such a feeling that "we got more than what we paid".

The hotel is located in a 5-minute walk from Interlaken West Station. West side is better than ost side in terms of dinning and shopping. After checked in, Ursula prepared a drink for us and then helped us carry our luggage to 2nd floor. The room has a view facing the mountain, and is even larger than some of the 3-4 star hotels in Europe. Although there is no hair dryer in room, my wife borrowed one from Ursula. I could not say something to describe the 6-star service provided by Chris and Ursula. We enjoyed everything in this hotel. We have encountered one of the best breakfasts in our trip. Recommended by Ursula, we had a romantic walking route along the lake and a superb Fondue dinner nearby.

I suggest book the hotel as early as possible. I booked a double room with private shower 2.5 months before our trip, but I was told that it was full. Fortunately, Ursula could find a triple room for us eventually.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

We stayed at the Rugenpark in September and couldn't have been happier. I look for three elements when selecting a room: location, price, and overall comfort.

On location: The Rugenpark is less than a five minute walk from the Interlaken West train station. We easily walked with our luggage (and we had lots) to the hotel. We walked all over the town and found the Rugenpark to be within a short distance from everything.

On price: I still can't believe how affordable this hotel is! It was the cheapest (and best) place we stayed on our entire trip through Europe. Please note -- you will not get any of the extra "comforts" that more expensive hotels have. No fancy toiletries, no hair dryer, etc. There was a fridge though and a fantastic (free) breakfast evey morning. So, if you want a spa, hair salon, expensive toiletries, etc. then find another place!

On overall comfort: Chris and Ursula went out of their way to make our stay a great one. Ursula booked excursions for us, purchased train tickets for us, and gave us suggestions on restaurants and things to do. I've never experienced such hospitality in a hotel before ... and we've stayed at much more expensive places! Our room was very large and the bed was quite comfortable. I truly can't say enough about this place.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Rugenpark B&B? Share your experiences!