“Bugs all over the place!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Happy Inn Lodge
Rosenstr. 17, Interlaken CH-3800, Switzerland   |
Ranked #24 of 51 Interlaken B&B and Inns
Bochum, Germany
“Bugs all over the place!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed in Happy Inn Lodge a week ago, and we had the most terrible experience ever! When we first arrived at the hostel, the man worked at the bar welcomed us with "You're still alive", anyway, it's a welcome, but after we paid the money for the room, he simply ignored my questions or requests, for example, I've been waited for ten minutes to get a hair-dryer, since there was a bar-party that night, and he just pretended he could not see me, but it's impossible, because I was standing just in front of him and tried to talk to him for many times.

It was just a prelude, and the worst was still to come. We went to bed around 12 that night and slept tight due to the long journey that day. But at about 3 o'clock in the morning, I was suddenly awake, for I felt something crawling on my face and sucking blood. Then I reached for it and caught it, and I asked my mom to turn on the light, but you know what we found? BLOOD ALL OVER TWO OF MY FINGERS! And, when I turned over the quilt, MORE THAN 20 BEDBUGS WERE CRAWLING ON THE BED AND QUILT, and the same on the other !!! We killed almost half of them, and also found old bloodstains on the quilt, which means we were not the first ones who were bitten by the bedbugs, but THE HOSTEL DID NOTHING TO THEM!!!!

It was then almost 4, but we could not sleep anymore and decided to wait for the staff to come. About 7, the hostess came. When she heard of our experiences, she promised to give back our money for the night at once, as if she knew clearly what had happened last night!! We thought she could not get away with this in such an irresponsible way, so we insisted she should go up and see the blood on the beds and the wall. But after seeing it, she only said a "wow" and "sorry", and told us that what she could do was to give us the money back and nothing else, and, it was not her to blame that we were bitten by the bugs and could not sleep. And she asked us to show her the results of biting, but back then, they didn't come out yet. Seeing this, her attitude became much tougher and claimed that since it had already happened, she could do nothing more for us! ! Then we called the police, but it did not help much because my German is not that good and could not explain very well, and you know what? The hostess treated them with 2 coffees and they left satisfactorily.

After a few hours, we felt so itchy all over the body, and the rash all came out, we wanted to show them to that woman, but we already left Interlaken and were on the way to another city. So here below, I'll show you the photos, since we recorded all the evidence in our camera. So, as the staff in the tourist information center has told us, think twice before choosing this hostel!!!!

Room Tip: terrible sanitary conditions, terrible service, rude and outrageous!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

After staying within many hostels in this trip, we enjoyed happy inn lodge the most!!
The staff were all extremely friendly and welcoming, the rooms were clean and comfy, ours had a lovely view of the mountains, we had live music on the Thursday and overall had a great atmosphere. The food was amazing too, seemed to be the place to go in Interlaken.

Location, not too far at all from the station, shops, bars etc

Definitely recommend to all you young travelers. Definitely coming back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The rooms are very comfortable and spacious. It's located above a bar/restaurant but it's not loud. The food (particularly cheese fondue) is delicious there and decently priced.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

First off, Interlaken is an extremely expensive place to stay even for Swiss standards. This is due to the number of foreign tourists and 80% of the people you will see in the streets are Chinese, Korean, Indian tourists. The fact that this backpacker's lodge even has the sign written in Chinese just says it all really.

Secondly, Interlaken is full of backpacker's lodges above bar/restaurants and this seems to be a trend. The Happy Inn is just one of them. But this was not obvious in the website nor the booking portal. I can't imagine what the old people would think when they arrived.

Location: The hotel is off the main street so it is in a reasonably quiet location, and only 5-10 mins walking distance from the train station. But beware it is near to Interlaken West station. If you are getting out at Interlaken Ost station (which is where the main line drops you off) then you need to catch a bus.

Rooms: Generally very clean but our room was badly in need of painting as ceiling had peeling paint. We had a bunk bed and a single bed - both were basic comfort. The rooms do have creaky floorboards due to the old structure. I would advise using earplugs. I managed to peek into other rooms the next day and they looked much larger and better than our's... But at least we had a large washbasin which is more than what you would get in Paris or Prague...

Noise: I have to be honest - I did not expect the rooms to be directly above the bar/restaurant. But we were lucky and our room was in a corner with the window facing the back alley.

Cleanliness: The shared toilets and shower rooms were very clean. Having said that, it depends how the guests treat the shared facilities. I went into the room with the wash basin after using the (very clean) toilet and the entire surface was covered in water. Not
surprising when the last person to use it was Chinese...

Shower rooms/toilets: Very clean as mentioned. Only complaint was that lights are time-operated. The shower room lights switch off far too soon and I was left taking my shower in complete darkness. Worse, light switches are OUTSIDE the shower rooms!!!

Food: Did not try so can not comment.

Service: The staff were very friendly and extremely informal. Not surprising since they are bar staff. In fact, I walked right past them looking for the reception when, in fact, they **are** the reception!! Since the accommodation facilities are very small and rooms are already booked, I very much doubt they would be able to accommodate requests for room changes.

Parking: This was only a factor because my partner came with a car. If you do intend to bring one, make sure you arrive before evening time to get one of the 5 spaces. Else you will lose out to the customers and will have to park in the opposite car park when you have to pay.

Check-in/out: Check-in is at 3pm which is ok. However, check-out is at 10am which is not ok for me.

Generally, it was ok and for the price you can't complain (60sfr for 2 people in a private room). But as I always say in the case of London, I still find it expensive and the "it's much cheaper than other places" is not an excuse. I don't see myself paying an overnight visit to Interlaken any time soon. Particularly when I think of the beer-swilling immigrant teenagers in the streets at night.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

This is not a hotel. Its a lodge for young backpackers and young couples without children. We stayed on the top floor of this hotel. The rooms very very clean and basic with a sink in it. The only drawback was no attached shower or WC with the rooms. You have to go downstairs to take a shower which was cumbersome. The showers are common for both the genders and you may have to wait for you turn during prime hours in the morning.

I have stayed at this lodge twice and have not regretted my decision. This is the only place with a bar open till late in Interlaken. Interlaken goes to sleep after 8pm and this is the place you might want to go for a drink or late dinner. There's a pool table too and the place is filled with people at night.

You will not go wrong if you pick this lodge if you are backpacking or a young couple who doesnt mind sharing the shower and WC with other residents. The showers had hot high pressure water to relax you and the WCs were very clean.

The breakfast was served in the garden below and had many food choices. Ask for chocolate milk at the bar in the morning.

Room Tip: If you are a couple stay on the top floor!
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

We stayed at Happy Inn Lodge as our base in the Jungfrau. We booked a quad room with ensuite bathroom to have some privacy. We were hesitant at first to book here because of the previous reviews about the noise from the pub below, but it did not really bother us when we were there. Most probably we were just so tired from touring and walking that we fell asleep immediately.

The folks here are very warm and cheerful. Always greeting us loudly when we were about to leave the hostel or when we came back. My wife and I had a drink downstairs one night, just listening to the music and enjoying the friendly atmosphere. My kids also tried their ribs which they claim is their specialty.

For those planning to bring heavy luggages, there is no elevator available here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Horrible terrible experience. We booked this as we weren't finding any place close to the station. Got bitten by bed bugs at night. There was a spider on my pillow too. Absolute nightmare.. The manager wasn't even apologetic when we told them about this experience in the morning. She asked if we had proof... Proof we had on our back arms and face! The manager refused to cancel our booking for the next day and pay us back for it. Disgusting. Will not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010

Been to Happy Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!