“Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Torino
“Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Interlaken was the last stop of a trip I made with some friends through Switzerland and, after staying in many other Youth Hostels, it was by far the best one.
By looking at it from outside, you might think you got the wrong address because it look more like a 5-star hotel. It has a Bar & restaurant in the Lobby and also a fireplace that we really really enjoyed after a freezing night walking to the citycenter (about 1km).
Bedrooms are comfortable, clean and well equipped, you get a really tasty buffete breakfast like in most Swiss hostels.
It is also very near to the Interlaken OST train station (few hundred meters) and there is covered parking in the basement if you arrive by car (although you must pay for it) or plenty of parking spots in the street (with meter)

Room Tip: Although rooms are well noise-isolated, those who have a very light sleep might want to avoid rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is located literally right next to the train station; extremely convenient if you arrive late or leave early with the train. The building is very modern, and stylish. There is a pool table near the reception even. Staff was very friendly. I booked bed in dormitory, but was alone. Good beds, quiet room. And very cheap of course for Switzerland. Perfect solution if you are leaving the ski resorts around interlaken.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the Interlaken youth hostel for only one night and day, but were so impressed that we almost decided to alter our trip and stay one night extra. The facility is located only a few minutes distance from the Interlaken East railway station which makes it extremely convenient for travellers. The hostel was POSH, the entrance and lobby were no less than a hotel's lobby. The staff was extremely courteous and welcoming. They made sure that our questions regarding our stay were answered immediately. Now about th facility in general. Three important plus points were the presence of an elevator, lockers and a seperate storage space behing loked doors. Our room was a SPACIOUS four in one room. It came with an attached CLEAN sink. The cleanliness level was way better than what we expected. Breakfast was included in our room rate. It was truly delicious. There were a few snack options for coffee at their restaurant which also had an ice cream parlor. The supper was also delicious. The facility has a microwave, hot water kettle and a drinking water spout at the ground level. One dampener was the weak wifi signal. There was no signal beyond the ground floor. Another issue, with us was the lack of a seperate shower area for gents and ladies. This made us feel a little awkward. Overall, I think this is the best option for travellers on a budget as the youth hostel is more than value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ahmedabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Youth Hostel is an excellent place to stay for following reasons:
Location: 2 minutes walk from Interlaken Ost Railway Station and nearest Bus Stop. Supermarket just across the road. The local market and other places to eat are within 10 minutes walk from the Hostel.
Service: The Wi-fi works good, but one can use it only in the lobby area on the ground floor. There is a password to activate wi-fi, which one would need to get from the reception desk.
Room: The Hostel had just opened when I visited in May 2012 and as such rooms were very clean. I stayed in a 4 bed room, and it was sufficiently spacious with an excellent view of Alps from the large window. There are four small lockers provided in the room with separate keys. There is one wash-basin too near the door.
Food: Breakfast is complimentary and with lots to choose from (different types of breads, hot and cold milk, varieties of cornflakes, butter, jam, honey, juice etc.). One can also have dinner in the Hostel (though I did not have it. I visited local restaurants for dinner).
Price: Very moderately priced. Excellent value for money.
Overall: Excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

First, the positives: you couldn't ask for a better location. Literally a 1 minute walk from Interlaken Ost train station. Facilities are modern, free breakfast, and staff speaks excellent English and are very friendly. One employee in particular bent over backwards to help me after my experience, but that experience in itself was enough to turn me off ever staying at this hostel again, despite her friendliness.

Now, the negatives. After my second night there, I began developing itchy red welts on my arms, hands, neck and face. I became concerned and alerted reception, who shared my opinion that they were bedbug bites. They sent in a team of people to check my room and found several bedbugs on the wall behind someone else's bed.

They gave me a new room, also transferring my two dormmates to the same room. I was too creeped out and apprehensive to go in and make my new bed right away, and about an hour later I went up by myself, making sure to give the room a thorough scouring before I settled again. Sure enough, I came across ANOTHER bedbug in the NEW room, chillin' on the wall in broad daylight. Either a) the bugs were traveling with the dormmates who were transferred to the new room with me and who settled in an hour before I did, and coincidentally one hopped off their bags to a wall on the opposite side of the room in that short amount of time, or b) (more likely, in my opinion) the entire hostel is infested.

The hostel gave me a refund for one night (out of three) and put me up for free in a single room with an attached shower and bathroom, I think in an attempt to make me feel better about the situation. I wouldn't have lingered, but couldn't grab a train out of Interlaken until the following morning. While the new room appeared clean, I still developed a few new bites overnight, although they could have been pre-existing bites that worsened, because I seem to have a pretty bad allergic reaction to them.

I'm aware this isn't directly the fault of the hostel itself: bedbugs are a risk of any high-traffic sleeping area, and short of fumigating all incoming guests, there's not much that can be done to prevent transmission, aside from washing linens regularly, which this hostel does. People aren't permitted private sleeping bags. But still: if there are a few around, there are almost assuredly more.

Long story short: while the female employee I dealt with was super apologetic and extremely kind and even brought me a breakfast to take away for my early departure the next morning, the manager could have done a little more, namely, refunding me the other two nights. He assured me that they would fumigate the rooms in question, but if this is a hostel-wide problem like I suspect it is, that won't be an effective solution.

I've never had the misfortune of dealing with bedbugs before, and I hope never to again. The bites are extremely itchy, red, and stigmatising. Not all of them are easy to cover up. My future sleeps have been disrupted from paranoia...this has been generally a terrible experience. Exercise EXTREME caution when staying here! And I suppose while staying anywhere. By all accounts this is a clean, well-rated hostel...but direct experience suggests perhaps looking elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

It's a lovely hostel. The facility is new and clean and the reception is warm and helpful. The whole standard is within hostel international standard and you can get a discount if you have hostel international membership card. In room offers individual lockers and individual reading light and power plug. Which is very secure and thoughtful. The heating and lighting of the room is super. The standard is like a hotel. The hostel is just near interlaken east station, and nearby got Coops supermarket and restaurant. The ground floor of the hostel feature a common area and 3_a restaurant and cafe.And there's a microwave oven and water heated if you want to make some instant food your own. The hostel also offer free breakfast.
Besides that, the majority of the guests here,(as last time I lives here) features lots of family vacationer with kids.(which is not that often you can find in a youth hostel) And there seems to be no organizing of pub event or some activities as YHA Australia did. There seems to be a little quiet and private and less party mood here. But that's just fine for Interlaken Scenary which literally you can see Jungfrau opposite your hostel windows.!
Besides that, do check out Spiez which just near interlaken but offers great view of the lake region and snow mountains, It's exceptionally!!And in town there are lot of lovely houses..
All in all, it's a perfect hostel. And I am surprised there are not many of reviews here in TA as there are alr tons of them in bookings. Probably coz of name translation....

Stayed March 2013
Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I organised a ski trip to the Jungfrau region of Switzerland and decided that the best option was to stay in Interlaken. We picked the youth hostel, as I've stayed in the youth hostels in Switzerland before. The hostel is superbly placed, within 200 metres to the right of Interlaken Ost railway station. On arrival, we were met by very friendly reception staff. Due to one of our party cancelling at the last minute, we were re arranged into different rooms at no extra cost. This may not always happen, as the the hostel was quiet, so they had the capacity to do so. The rooms , by hostel standards were excellent, and could not fault them. I've stayed in worse 3* hotels. As we'd pre booked meals, this saved from going up town every night. While it was not gourmet cooking, the meals were fine, and fulsome. The lounge area was a great place to chill out in the evening, with an enclosed fire, free wifi, a pool table and a bar. Drinks prices were very good by Swiss standards, and they were accompanied with free nibbles at times. Breakfast, was typical continental fare, with cereals, bread, jams and cheeses followed up with a choice of tea or coffees. The hostel does have a ski room, which also doubles as a bike room, which is adjacent to the large underground car park. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff at the hostel, who go out of their way to make you feel at home and are very professional. I would definitely recommend this hostel to singles, families and groups looking to explore this beautiful area, and with transport links 200 metres away it is ideal for skiers and hikers as well.

Room Tip: Although we stayed in a two person room which was great, 4 people sharing a 4 bedded room may find i...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Interlaken Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!